Author Topic: Is it really worth it??  (Read 711 times)

Platx6

Is it really worth it??
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
So i'm just about to start my braces period (2 years) before the jaw surgery, and this is basically my final chance to back out?

My dentist told me that in my case, it's better to not do braces at all or do braces and surgery. (bc my teeth are alrd very straight and my upper teeth have tilted to meet my lower jaw teeth alittle)

I heard about relapse after surgery and am scared of surgery in general? (especially the blood donation to myself, i'm terrified of needles lol)

I feel like it'll make me feel better about myself, but I feel like i'll get criticized by my peers/friends for doing this out of aesthetic reasons.

i'm a borderline class 3 ? (whatever that means) and i'd like your opinions on whether you think it would be worth it to really go through with the jaw surgery  :-\

https://imgur.com/a/tSqV6
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:00:38 AM by Platx6 »

ppsk

Re: Is it really worth it??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
consider how much your face impacts your quality of life, socially, professionally, mentally - that it to say, out of everything you can do in this world, nothing will have a more dramatic impact on every aspect of your life than your face. This applies both ways - good and bad outcomes.

I think it is definitely worth it in your case and although its only a profile picture and not a front on one, I think you will be quite attractive after the surgery is over and you are fulled healed.

Also, you if you're worried about committing to the braces period, you could get a second opinion from a doctor that performs a "surgery first" method. I'm not sure if you'd be a candidate for it, but considering you say your teeth are very straight, I think you probably would be.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
It depends on exactly what you want to get out of it. If your face is really so bad that it affects the way people treat you, then it could be a good option. However be sure to really establish whether that is factually the case, as opposed to what you think is the case. If you're a female this is less of an issue because the sexual arena will almost always be open to you and you will face very few issues. But if you truly believe that it affects your quality of life in other ways, by all means strongly consider it.

If your reasons behind it are more personal, it may be a better approach to try and resolve the issue within your own mind rather than getting the surgery. Even if you don't suffer from body dysmorphic disorder, therapy is a good option to weed out thoughts and change a harmful method of thinking.

Millions of 'below average' people get on with their lives and function normally, with nobody paying attention to the fact that they don't look attractive. And it is so true that the people that are important to you will always find you beautiful as a person, regardless of what you look like.

CCW

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »
Get it done if that's what you want. Other people's opinions don't matter. Relapse is pretty rare, and it's mostly caused by TMJ issues. Your starting point is already good, so you're going to look amazing after surgery.