Author Topic: IV Vitamins and supplementation after jaw surgery for better healing  (Read 1283 times)

slysurfz

• Private
I have been reading up on intravenous supplementation and it seems to work great in some people at least for vitamin C and vitamin B12 .
So was wondering if anybody tried supplementing with that after jaw surgery and got faster healing, less of partial numbness.

Here in NYC there are a bunch of a spa's offering it, its not cheap as most of the times its used as hangover cure by traders who party a lot and then bounce back like undergrads in the morning.

I am just wondering and would like to know what other people think...

ppsk

Re: IV Vitamins and supplementation after jaw surgery for better healing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
from Raffaini's brochure on surgery:

" AVOID THE CONSUMPTION of any of the following foodstuffs and
products in the two weeks prior to the operation:
PINEAPPLE, ARNICA, ONION, GARLIC, TOMATOES, GINSENG (all of
which may impair blood coagulation if consumed in large quantities)."

I would not trifle with this kind of stuff unless you know the relationship of the constituents.

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
Yes all those mention in Rafaiani's stuff is accurate those are blood thinners.

I talked to person on another forum and she took B12 vitamins sublingually and helped with nerves regenerating
The problem with ingesting these thing orally is the gut doesnt absorb which is why even if we get stuff in our food its not being absorbed properly. However, Intravenously it goes straight to the blood and has perfect absorption

Don't read stuff and make a broad stroke conclusion about supplementation. I take vitamin D3 everyday and has made a huge impact on my life and my girlfriends life we don't have joint pain or allergies after our vitamin D levels normalized.  i take them orally and my body absorbs it well. not so sure about vitamin B12 or Vitamin C

Rico

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
you do not need any synthetic vitamins...

just eat properly,  fruits, vegatables some meat, potatoes, rise, etc etc

avoid junky food

go for a walks / run -> sun (vit D)

ppsk

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Yes all those mention in Rafaiani's stuff is accurate those are blood thinners.

I talked to person on another forum and she took B12 vitamins sublingually and helped with nerves regenerating
The problem with ingesting these thing orally is the gut doesnt absorb which is why even if we get stuff in our food its not being absorbed properly. However, Intravenously it goes straight to the blood and has perfect absorption

Don't read stuff and make a broad stroke conclusion about supplementation. I take vitamin D3 everyday and has made a huge impact on my life and my girlfriends life we don't have joint pain or allergies after our vitamin D levels normalized.  i take them orally and my body absorbs it well. not so sure about vitamin B12 or Vitamin C

What I mean is, is there any evidence this will improve recovery post bone surgery? Being effective for dehydration is not the same as being effective for bony healing

For example, Ive thought about using testosterone and growth hormone post surgery, but thats only because there are studies give it some rationale.

IIRC high dose vitamin C actually impairs osteoblast expression, but I could be wrong i only remember something like that very vaguely.

slysurfz

• Private
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »
Ok, I did not mean to Vit C is going to help for bone growth. It helps for other things so lets not worry about that

Read this about Vit B12 and nerve regeneration(below). Nobody seems to be having a problem with bones healing even at old ages. However, a common thread is not getting feeling back, which is related to nerves and its regeneration after the surgery

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8021696

The problem is absorption as we age our absorption via the gut decreases. Now sublingual and Intravenous are the 2 other forms of delivery to consider.

ppsk

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Ok, I did not mean to Vit C is going to help for bone growth. It helps for other things so lets not worry about that

Read this about Vit B12 and nerve regeneration(below). Nobody seems to be having a problem with bones healing even at old ages. However, a common thread is not getting feeling back, which is related to nerves and its regeneration after the surgery

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8021696

The problem is absorption as we age our absorption via the gut decreases. Now sublingual and Intravenous are the 2 other forms of delivery to consider.

methyl b-12 could be delivered by IM injection, as is very common. Actually I'd suggest that is the superior route since it allows a lot more to be delivered in a shorter time frame, its also significantly easier for the layman to do IM injections than it is to set himself up with an IV every day.