Author Topic: Surgery or no Surgery???  (Read 4047 times)

shad

Surgery or no Surgery???
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »
Hello Everyone,

My dilemma all started when I decided to have braces to fix my crocked teeth. I had consulted with several good Orthodontists and all suggested for best results I should consider an Orthognathic surgery to fix my overbite. Having said that, I did consult with Dr. Larry Wolford, Kasey Li and considering to consult with Dr. Jeffrey Posnick based on some of the feedback in this forum.

My dilemma is whether should I go with the surgery or just simply have braces??? I do not suffer from any pain although in the process I did discover I have a mild sleep apnea. I do see some benefits from having the surgery but the recovery process is what scares me the most.

Last and along these lines, any feedback on the 3 surgeons below is greatly appreciated.

Larry Wolford
http://www.drlarrywolford.com/

Kasey Li
http://www.drkaseyli.com/

Jeffrey Posnick
http://www.drposnick.com/drposnick/index.htm

Kind Regards

pekay

Re: Surgery or no Surgery???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
Important question: Where are you currently living? (city, state). I see no reason for you to travel around the country when odds are that there is skilled surgeon just around the corner from you.
Chopsticks > Spoons

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Are you sure you need surgery??

shad

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Thank you all for your reply.

I'm currently living in Dallas Texas i.e. Dr. Larry is ideal from that prospective. However, I really want the best surgeon if I were to do this since I had bad experiences before.

I did have 4 bicuspid removed 15 yrs ago in-order to have braces and I was horrified with that experience so I never went back to that Orthodontist. Fast forward to now, I have 4 missing teeth which I recently found that should not have happened in the 1st place.

shad

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Dr. Larry seems very knowledge. I cant say the same about his front office staff but that's irrelevant at this point. One factor that im considering other surgeons beside Dr. Larry is aesthetics. Not sure if hes the most knowledge on that front.

pekay

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
iirc Sharptoys had surgery with JP Stella, who has been to Brazil many times to give lectures and whatnot
Chopsticks > Spoons

mec

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
Dr. Larry seems very knowledge. I cant say the same about his front office staff but that's irrelevant at this point. One factor that im considering other surgeons beside Dr. Larry is aesthetics. Not sure if hes the most knowledge on that front.

I'll agree agree about the front office! I went for a consult with him before many others and before deciding on Gunson. I was afraid that Dr. Wolford was pushing unnecessary things with the Mitek anchors and wasn't comfortable with him going in my joints much less installing anchors in my joints. If you want to stay in Texas Dr. Holton in Tyler is good and I've heard great things about Dr. Terry Taylor in Houston. I just thought AG provided the complete package of functionality and aesthetics.

shad

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
Thank you all.

At this point, im open to see anyone in the country. So far, it would seem that Posnick offers the best of both aesthetics and functional.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
I'll agree agree about the front office! I went for a consult with him before many others and before deciding on Gunson. I was afraid that Dr. Wolford was pushing unnecessary things with the Mitek anchors and wasn't comfortable with him going in my joints much less installing anchors in my joints. If you want to stay in Texas Dr. Holton in Tyler is good and I've heard great things about Dr. Terry Taylor in Houston. I just thought AG provided the complete package of functionality and aesthetics.

Exactly my situation as well.  Wolford pushed for Mitek anchors.  I'm very glad I didn't choose to have surgery with him.