Author Topic: Surgical correction for weak chin desired - Genio or chin wing  (Read 5910 times)

LVP

18 y/o. I have been aware of my weak chin and short chin-neck distance for about a year now, and am planning on getting some sort of corrective surgery in the next couple pf years. As you can tell by my pictures, the actual problem is probably somewhat of a combination of a deficient chin as well as by a lengthened midface which causes the mandible to be rotated backwards, which exacerbates the problem. However, seeing as my occlusion is Class I and I don't have any functional issues, CCW rotation/impaction is over-the-top; so my likely route is either sliding genioplasty or a chin wing, so I'm looking for opinions on which I should go with.

I live in the midwestern US, what are some recommended surgeons in this region? Also, what kind of cost would I be looking at?

[attachment deleted by admin]

UKMaxfac

Re: Surgical correction for weak chin desired - Genio or chin wing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
I wouldnt bother if I was in your shoes

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:53:06 PM »
You look like a white version of that criminal turned model whose photo went viral a few years ago. He too has a recessive chin. He's doing ok without surgery.   just saying.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
Yeah you're already good looking and don't need anything. But I would say you're an ideal candidate for sliding genioplasty, in fact you're lucky to be one of these cases who can get a big improvement(attractive person fixing one obvious 'flaw') with a relatively minor surgery.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
You will be male model material with a chin wing or 2.  But yeah like others suggested , intervention is not "needed" in your case.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
Genio may lengthen your face, create an unpleasant step off in profile, make your chin pointy. You may end up looking different, but no better.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
You don't look bad at all, do nothing.

jawline

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
I don't think you need it but maybe this is what you were thinking of in regards to a stronger profile? If so, then either genioplasty or chin wing would work I think.

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »
Genio may lengthen your face, create an unpleasant step off in profile, make your chin pointy. You may end up looking different, but no better.

I agree, just noticed. His mandible grows in a downward direction so if he gets a Genio with significant forward movement it will probably create a noticable step-off. The solution to that would be to add vertical height to the augmentation as well, then the chin would go in a straight line along the mandible. Would it create a "long-face" effect? I doubt it, chin height is a big plus for males.

LVP

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
Would a chin wing make the jaw angles more prominent as well? I am not particularly worried about face lengthening as I have a fairly wide face. I've attached a higher quality front picture below

CCW

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Your chin (bone) looks normal, but you lack projection due to your clockwise rotated jaws. You have bimax recession and would need CCW bimax to normalize your profile.

It's a common complaint the CW blunts the angles.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:53:34 AM »
Your chin (bone) looks normal, but you lack projection due to your clockwise rotated jaws. You have bimax recession and would need CCW bimax to normalize your profile.

It's a common complaint the CW blunts the angles.

Very good analysis. I have seen a jaw get DESTROYED due to undue CW.

Just realized we could get a bit lost in semantics due to abbreviations  . I am talking about Clockwise rotation not chin wing.

CCW

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »
Very good analysis. I have seen a jaw get DESTROYED due to undue CW.

Just realized we could get a bit lost in semantics due to abbreviations  . I am talking about Clockwise rotation not chin wing.
Yeah, sorry. The CW = chin wing.

An isolated genio works better when the chin is actually flat. It can improve the profile dramatically and help close the lips better, but even then it's more of a stopgap until you can get proper jaw surgery. I agree with Plosko's analysis.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:19 AM »
Confused about Chin wing. 

Have heard it rounds out the jaw before . Result I have seen mostly seem to render a squarish shape and flare out the angles...