Author Topic: How do some surgeons avoid extractions?  (Read 869 times)

emanresu

How do some surgeons avoid extractions?
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
Yes, sometimes extractions will be necessary no matter what. But how is that some surgeons (Gunson for example) are able to miraculously perform surgery without extractions? Do they just compensate in some way, perhaps by altering the movement so that extractions would no longer be necessary? What is so different from the jaw surgery that they are doing that somehow allows them to do this?

emanresu

Re: How do some surgeons avoid extractions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
I think it's because of CCW. I believe it alters the angles of how the teeth meet which creates more distance for the BSSO i.e., upper incisors procline and lower incisors retrocline.

So as a result of CCW the mandible shifts further back, at which point the surgeon can then make a greater movement with it?

And the rotation itself creates projection. And so if a surgeon doesn't do this if he wants to make a significant movement he needs to remove teeth to make room for movement.

So really this is a form of camouflage. Because according to typical ortho standards, the bite would still be "incorrect" and "need" extractions, but with the miracle of CCW a compromise could be made because CCW gives such drastic results anyway.

But this then raises the question: would extractions + CCW have given even better results?