Author Topic: Journey to surgery  (Read 1847 times)

Lucky

Journey to surgery
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some guidance on what kind of route I should take on my journey towards double jaw surgery.
When I was younger starting at age 14, I had gotten braces. 3 years later, I had them taken off. My ex-orthodontist recommended that I go for double jaw surgery but my mom had preferred I didn't go through all that pain -- now I have to go through the pain of eating in public and the social anxiety that comes with talking and jutting out my lower jaw along with slurred speech.

Now I'm 20, haven't worn my retainers (lost them) for 2.5 years and my teeth may have shifted just a little.. not much though.

I have no medical coverage but I plan to go apply at a low income / no income provider. Maybe MediCal? I am a poor student and I don't have much money. I have heard that several people have gotten their whole surgeries paid with little or no money out of pocket.

Will I have to get braces again? Or can I get orthognathic surgery without braces since I've had them when I was younger and they've only shifted a little?

I am tired of feeling insecure, stared at by people, not being able to talk, hiding away from cameras and mirrors, and just feeling like I'm not "normal."

Please help me with some advice on this journey!

CK

• Private
Re: Journey to surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
yea the law is 26 now.

USA you have to have pretty great insurance for the surgery to cover it. and if orthognathic surgery is included, you have to show demand. if youre condition can be treated with anything that isnt surgery, they'll push that first.

you should consult with some surgeons now. it might cost a few hundred but it is worth it to figure how much everything will actually cost.

and the 60K is for the most well-known surgeons, most people dont pay that much.

Lucky

Re: Journey to surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
yea the law is 26 now.

USA you have to have pretty great insurance for the surgery to cover it. and if orthognathic surgery is included, you have to show demand. if youre condition can be treated with anything that isnt surgery, they'll push that first.

you should consult with some surgeons now. it might cost a few hundred but it is worth it to figure how much everything will actually cost.

and the 60K is for the most well-known surgeons, most people dont pay that much.

26? That's great. I'll go talk to her about it.

My condition cannot be treated without surgery. My old dentist had referred me to double jaw surgery, he had also told me that I had a malocclusion class 3 underbite (half an inch). I have trouble eating and speaking, but from what I'm looking at on Google is that they require serious symptoms like sleep apnea or TMJ?

I will go see a private surgeon (perhaps with an insurance policy handling department too) and get an estimate from him and see if I can have it covered