Author Topic: Normal maxillary arch / palate but maxillary retrusion?  (Read 693 times)

tjarrr

Normal maxillary arch / palate but maxillary retrusion?
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
Hi,

I have a more basic theoretical question: is it possible to have a normal maxillary arch and palate, and good arch transpalatal width, and have a recessed maxilla? Or is a normally formed arch a sign that you don't have maxillary recession?

I ask because I do feel in terms of aesthetics that I fit the profile of having a recessed maxilla -- but my nasion to point A perpendicular is normal, and I went to one of the top orthodontists in my city (Boston) and she told me my palate was absolutely not narrow and would never recommend that I receive palatal expansion, surgical or otherwise.

The Quest for Aesthetics

Re: Normal maxillary arch / palate but maxillary retrusion?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:16:56 AM »
Yes it's entirely possible. The two observations are only correlated because they are both symptomatic of poor facial growth patterns during childhood. Sagittal maxillary positioning is absolutely a function of genetics and can be solely a function of genetics.

tjarrr

Re: Normal maxillary arch / palate but maxillary retrusion?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
Yes it's entirely possible. The two observations are only correlated because they are both symptomatic of poor facial growth patterns during childhood. Sagittal maxillary positioning is absolutely a function of genetics and can be solely a function of genetics.

So some people are just born ugly.  ;D ;D that's a relief compared to how the orthotropics community chalks all aesthetics up to oral habits and diet during childhood/adolescence.

It's also true from an ethnic aspect, no? Since maxillary hypoplasia is common in Asian groups, even though many of them probably have adequate dentition and maxillary transpalatal arch width.