General Category > Aesthetics

Professor in maxillofacial surgery told me there is nothing he can do for me

<< < (2/6) > >>

ditterbo:
Some max facs that I've spoken to seem to have no problem creating a class 3 problem, even extracting 2 bicuspids to do it, all for the sake of orthognathic balance without any medical issues. By that experience, doesn't seem like that big a stretch for you to find a surgeon willing to move the jaw forward. Probably the ones known for more aggressive CCW maneuvers would entertain your situation (not implying you need CCW).

PloskoPlus:
I'm not sure if there is any other surgical field where opinions between surgeons regarding treatment plans can vary as radically as they can in orthognathic surgery.  This can also be a regional thing.  For example in my lucky country, nobody does CCW rotations, as in nobody in a country of 30 million.  That's just the local surgical school.  In a place like Texas, you'll find that a great many surgeons will, because surprise, surprise, that's where CCW was invented.  Swiss and German surgeons favour chin wings now as a way to simulate CCW rotation, because, surprise, surprise, it was invented (or at least popularised) in Switzerland.

So don't despair.  Since you're in Europe, consult with Alfaro.  FWIW, while your upper lip does protrude, I don't think it's that big of a deal - profiles are overrated.

kavan:

--- Quote from: ditterbo on January 03, 2018, 03:19:07 PM ---Some max facs that I've spoken to seem to have no problem creating a class 3 problem, even extracting 2 bicuspids to do it, all for the sake of orthognathic balance without any medical issues. By that experience, doesn't seem like that big a stretch for you to find a surgeon willing to move the jaw forward. Probably the ones known for more aggressive CCW maneuvers would entertain your situation (not implying you need CCW).

--- End quote ---

Years back a maxfax (one who studied with Wolford) told me that Class2 and Class3 isn't defacto a 'malocclusion' and that Class 1 isn't defacto good occlusion BECAUSE there is Class 1 MAL occlusion. That is to say there is 'good' Class2 and Class3 occlusion. That is to say there are situations where the back MOLARS meet in Class 2 or Class 3 occlusion but in these cases the former does not also involve the upper FRONT teeth being overjetted too far forward from the lower teeth and the latter does not also involve the lower FRONT teeth being too far forward from the upper front teeth.

kavan:
Tim,

Do any of these maxfax pros you visit do a CEPH for you?

secondtimearound:

--- Quote from: PloskoPlus on January 03, 2018, 03:37:11 PM ---I'm not sure if there is any other surgical field where opinions between surgeons regarding treatment plans can vary as radically as they can in orthognathic surgery.  This can also be a regional thing.  For example in my lucky country, nobody does CCW rotations, as in nobody in a country of 30 million.  That's just the local surgical school.  In a place like Texas, you'll find that a great many surgeons will, because surprise, surprise, that's where CCW was invented.  Swiss and German surgeons favour chin wings now as a way to simulate CCW rotation, because, surprise, surprise, it was invented (or at least popularised) in Switzerland.

So don't despair.  Since you're in Europe, consult with Alfaro.  FWIW, while your upper lip does protrude, I don't think it's that big of a deal - profiles are overrated.

--- End quote ---

Don't forget the incredible multitude of jawline surgeries only available in Korea and neighboring nations.

SARPE vs. Multipiece LF1 is also a regional preference/skill as discussed in other threads recently.

Jaw surgery has become insanely regional. It's quite bizarre.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version