Author Topic: Question about BiMax surgery and tongue room.  (Read 1560 times)

Nicolazzz

Question about BiMax surgery and tongue room.
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Hey guys, a couple of months back I made a post stating that I was unsure of the genioplasty I was scheduled for. Today I was at consultation and was ready to say no to the genioplasty, but before I could say anything, he said that he had changed his mind and offered me the full BiMax surgery with a genioplasty. I was very happy because this would help with both the functional and aesthetic problem.
I know that I’ll need braces to get my bite ready for the surgery, but I’m pretty sure that these will make my dental arch narrower. I didn’t get to ask him about the room for my tongue, and that is really important to me.
At the x-ray afterpictures it looks like my arch is narrower. My question is basically: will I get more room to fit my tongue between my teeth with this surgery, or will I need jaw expansion for this to happen?
As u can see on the picture, my tongue has marks from my teeth from trying to fit it against the palate.

EDIT: I can’t attach photos, but I don’t think they are essential to answer my question either way.

haven

• Private
Re: Question about BiMax surgery and tongue room.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
Can't input on the science but you could use an image hosting site like imgur.com to provide links to your images. 

dammit_daniel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Can I ask if you're getting surgery for sleep apnea?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:29:11 AM »
Can I ask if you're getting surgery for sleep apnea?

Its not the initial reason for the surgery. I was originally  scheduled for at genioplasty, but the doctor Saw on the X-rays that It was my jaws and not my chin. His reason for doing it is mostly for aesthetics I think, but next time I’m going to see him I’ll talk to him about the problems with my breathing and sleep apnea. I have read that bimax surgery really helps with that, so that is actually what I am most excited about.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
I'm including the link to your other thread. It still has your photos in it and of course, also my take (and others) that you are a candidate for the FULL surgery and not just genio.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7168.msg62239#msg62239

Good to hear you held out UNTIL you were offered what would be best for your situation.

As to room enough for your tongue; advancement of maxilla gives more room. As to sleep/breathing: advancement will give more room for the airway.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

dammit_daniel

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:10 AM »
Interesting. Very interesting. Mmmm. I have trying to see a max fac surgeon. I have no sleep apnea(as a sleep study said i didnt have it) but i still have a very bad time breathing lying down and breathing in general. Do you think a max fac surgeon would do bimax to help just breathing?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:11:09 PM »
Interesting. Very interesting. Mmmm. I have trying to see a max fac surgeon. I have no sleep apnea(as a sleep study said i didnt have it) but i still have a very bad time breathing lying down and breathing in general. Do you think a max fac surgeon would do bimax to help just breathing?

I've read your first post, and it seems like your problems are similar to mine. I haven't got my sleep apnea test done yet tho. The thing is that my surgeon offered me the jaw surgery from just looking at the pictures of my jaw. I didn't even get to say anything about my functional problems before he offered me this, so I can't say if it's possible to get the jaw surgery for breathing problem. I think that they are a little bit conservative when it comes to such a big surgery in relation to breathing. If your jaws are retruded enough, I think the best thing to do is to get them x-rayed and let the doctor look at them, but you probably shouldn't take advice from me, because I know just as little as you about this.

haven

• Private
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
Good to see they changed their mind. 👌

dammit_daniel

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »
I've read your first post, and it seems like your problems are similar to mine. I haven't got my sleep apnea test done yet tho. The thing is that my surgeon offered me the jaw surgery from just looking at the pictures of my jaw. I didn't even get to say anything about my functional problems before he offered me this, so I can't say if it's possible to get the jaw surgery for breathing problem. I think that they are a little bit conservative when it comes to such a big surgery in relation to breathing. If your jaws are retruded enough, I think the best thing to do is to get them x-rayed and let the doctor look at them, but you probably shouldn't take advice from me, because I know just as little as you about this.

Yeah, so how far forward does he want to move your upper and lower jaw forward? I think 10mm is quite common for lower jaw for sleep apnea. I'm just worried the doctor might be too conservative with the amount of jaw movement due to my negative sleep study(I'll see when I get to the appointment). Also do you know if its common to do the xray lying down? Because that's where I feel I have most of my problems breathing.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »
Yeah, so how far forward does he want to move your upper and lower jaw forward? I think 10mm is quite common for lower jaw for sleep apnea. I'm just worried the doctor might be too conservative with the amount of jaw movement due to my negative sleep study(I'll see when I get to the appointment). Also do you know if its common to do the xray lying down? Because that's where I feel I have most of my problems breathing.

I haven't got the measurements yet, I at the very start of the journey. I had my x-rays taken while sitting, so I don't know if you can get them lying down.