Author Topic: Lefort1 cut, ccw and nose altering  (Read 10754 times)

wigglewiggle

Re: Lefort1 cut, ccw and nose altering
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »
You have a negative sign on your A-P movement of ANS, meaning to move the ANS back. So this is the opposite of advancing the base of the nose.

Am I right that you have a rather large overjet and some gummy smile?

Yes! How could you tell it's a rather large overjet?

It makes sense that in my case the base of my nose would be set back a little. Discussions on this forum seem to tend to associate maxillary impaction with likelihood of unfavorable nose change. Does that mean maxillary impaction and ccw don't always entail maxillary advancement and it's the actual a-p values that determines nose change?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 03:31:32 AM »
Anything done to the maxilla can have an effect on the nose. The soft tissue has to go somewhere.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
I don't think so, because what causes the widening is cutting the muscles. This is why the stitch is useful keeping the muscles in place.
Maybe it's possible to go in and try to reattach those muscles. That I don't know.

I don't really know, but just thinking about it I would believe settingt he nose back can make it more narrow. I mean if you press the base of the nose forward, the soft tissue will escape to the sides and making the nose wider. Setting the base back seems to do the opposite and take some of the soft tissue that sticks out on the side and stretch when moving back.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
Yes! How could you tell it's a rather large overjet?

It makes sense that in my case the base of my nose would be set back a little. Discussions on this forum seem to tend to associate maxillary impaction with likelihood of unfavorable nose change. Does that mean maxillary impaction and ccw don't always entail maxillary advancement and it's the actual a-p values that determines nose change?

It's basically in plain text in your numbers. The lower incisor move forward significantly more than your upper. Either you have an overjet, or you will get an underbite after surgery. Also your ANS have significant impaction, which resolves to getting less teeth show after surgery.

wigglewiggle

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »
I don't think so, because what causes the widening is cutting the muscles. This is why the stitch is useful keeping the muscles in place.
Maybe it's possible to go in and try to reattach those muscles. That I don't know.
I just read a few articles on upper jaw surgery's impact on the nasal base. From what I've gathered it's the separation of muscles from the skeleton that contributes to nasal base's widening - I have yet to figure out why pushing maxilla back (which also requires separation of the muscles from the bone) doesn't seem to affect nasal base in the same way.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »
I've noticed from a local surgeons office of a girl who appears to have this thickening around the base of the nose, and this is clearly botched and can be repaired.
http://www.daytonfacialsurgery.com/procedures/jaw-surgery/
Basically you run into problems when the procedure impacts further into the nasal cavity.

Oh my dear God. I just saw this post and opened the link. I look almost exactly like that girl in the photos (except she is 20 years younger). My teeth, my chin, my jaw, even my upper face is really similar. She looks so so so f@cked up in the after - not just the nose, everything. She looks awful. I am having very, very serious second thoughts about the whole surgery thing. Doing nothing except some orthodontics to 'hide' the teeth as much as possible seems like an appealing option to me right now...

wigglewiggle

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
Oh my dear God. I just saw this post and opened the link. I look almost exactly like that girl in the photos (except she is 20 years younger). My teeth, my chin, my jaw, even my upper face is really similar. She looks so so so f@cked up in the after - not just the nose, everything. She looks awful. I am having very, very serious second thoughts about the whole surgery thing. Doing nothing except some orthodontics to 'hide' the teeth as much as possible seems like an appealing option to me right now...

Which girl is it?

ben from UK

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »
I think she means the first. She had a great midface but only gummysmile. Now she has her nose too much upturned and a long and at the same time pointy chin. Her philtrum seems longer as well. She went down. Nostrils should be maximum 2 millimeter visible from the front. Her philtrum is like 1-1.5 millimeter too long. Incredible that just 1 millimeter makes the difference.

I'm not that big of a fan of genios with women. Imo having a weak chin as a woman is better. Sometimes it turns out good, but I see too many women complaining after genio for having a too masculine chin/face or something like that. Imo some female genios need to be mixed with some chinshaving if that's possible.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:02:51 PM by ben from UK »

wigglewiggle

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »
She had a lot maxilla vertical excessiveness so the impaction must be significant, hence the much widened nose.

I agree - chin shaving is worth considering in genioplasty for women.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »
I think she means the first. She had a great midface but only gummysmile. Now she has her nose too much upturned and a long and at the same time pointy chin. Her philtrum seems longer as well. She went down. Nostrils should be maximum 2 millimeter visible from the front. Her philtrum is like 1-1.5 millimeter too long. Incredible that just 1 millimeter makes the difference.

I'm not that big of a fan of genios with women. Imo having a weak chin as a woman is better. Sometimes it turns out good, but I see too many women complaining after genio for having a too masculine chin/face or something like that. Imo some female genios need to be mixed with some chinshaving if that's possible.

Her philtrum lengthened even more than mine- thank god im a guy and can keep some facial hair to help disguise it.

I can’t believe surgeons downplay the effects on the philtrum/nose so much. That’s a huge aesthetic downside.

Honestly if she gets a good rhino I think she would still come out ahead. The gummy smile was a more significant aesthetic defect IMO

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »
Which girl is it?

I was too horrified to scroll down and realize there were more :). I meant the first one.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 02:57:14 AM »
Her philtrum lengthened even more than mine - thank god im a guy and can keep some facial hair to help disguise it.

I can’t believe surgeons downplay the effects on the philtrum/nose so much. That’s a huge aesthetic downside.

Honestly if she gets a good rhino I think she would still come out ahead. The gummy smile was a more significant aesthetic defect IMO

Seriously, with the obvious asymmetry, horrifying witch chin, strange looking crooked mouth and nose, you think she looks better than she did before the operation? Wow. She was so pretty before except for the teeth which was distracting, she could have just had braces with extractions plus lip filler etc. to fix the gummy smile. She is very young too, her philtrum will be much longer in later life. They ruined her face for life, as far as I am concerned. She only looks slightly better from profile but who's going to keep staring at someone from profile? It's the front view that counts.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 02:58:43 AM »
I'm not that big of a fan of genios with women. Imo having a weak chin as a woman is better. Sometimes it turns out good, but I see too many women complaining after genio for having a too masculine chin/face or something like that.

That's right, I hardly saw any good examples on women, and many awful ones.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2019, 03:06:25 AM »
Her philtrum lengthened even more than mine- thank god im a guy and can keep some facial hair to help disguise it.

That’s because they are the biggest liars I’ve ever met. They’ll say anything to get you into surgery. They work on the principle that it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially if they refuse to see you afterwards, something they do all the time.

ben from UK

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2019, 03:41:24 AM »
Gummysmile is an overrated flaw imo. You don't have to smile. Doing heavy bonecutting with unknown consequences only to get rid of some gummy smile... I don't know. Good old fashioned orthodontic work might be better than heavy bonecutting. But maybe it has more to do with the surgeon's skills. The other results of this surgeon on that page were quite good, but they weren't the same roocedure.

Just make sure as a woman that you keep a weak chin. Weak chin = good.