Author Topic: Removing Titanium Plate and Screws after Surgery?  (Read 1603 times)

improvedchin

Removing Titanium Plate and Screws after Surgery?
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
Hi, I desperately would like an answer on this.

So I had a revision sliding genioplasty back in 2014. About 6 months ago (around 3 years after the genioplasty), my surgeon tried to remove the plate and screws. He was able to get some of the screws out but I think one screw and the plate was left in due to the bone having grown over the plate and screw. Is there any way the plate and screw could still be removed, despite being buried in bone? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

ditterbo

Re: Removing Titanium Plate and Screws after Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »
Interesting conundrum, and IDK why doctors struggle with screws implanted in bone. My revision chin implant doc left the moronically large 18mm screw in place, from the first implant, previously thinking he could remove it and replace it with new, smaller screws, but instead chopped it half way up the stalk and jabbed the new implant through it.   

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:22 PM »
Why do you want them removed? Do they cause you trouble? I saw my post op x ray and was shocked at the amount of hardware floating around in there after my SG. But it’s never caused me any trouble, even in cold weather.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:31:34 PM »
Interesting conundrum, and IDK why doctors struggle with screws implanted in bone. My revision chin implant doc left the moronically large 18mm screw in place, from the first implant, previously thinking he could remove it and replace it with new, smaller screws, but instead chopped it half way up the stalk and jabbed the new implant through it.

That sounds medieval! Hope it doesn’t cause any pain.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:34 AM »
It would surprise me if we can put a man on the moon, but not remove a screw from your skull.
However, one have to consider how invasive the procedure is, in your case it seems like they first need to remove some hard tissue to get to the screw. In worst case you cant get a grip on the screw and have to do even more harm to get it out.
You don't do procedures without a proper diagnosis and knowing the purpose. Why is it important for you to get this screw out?

Meefly

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
I was wondering why you would have another op to have them removed.  However, today I was reading about how dick van Dyk is having his life blighted by headaches which had been put down to some fiasco dental hardware! I know this is completely anecdotal but are such sx common?