Author Topic: Ramus lengthening (ILO, DO)  (Read 1775 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

Ramus lengthening (ILO, DO)
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »
The DO was mainly to stir interest lol.

Anyway ILO for ramus lengthening / improving gonial angle.
Before trawling through journals I went through some old posts & it seems the consesus is that this procedure is complex and pretty unstable due to the masseter.

I did however find some contradictory evidence regarding stability:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633068/

VSP has also had a big impact on the quality of the procedure:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221454191600002X

All of this has me fairly excited but I still haven't accumulated enough information to be completely sold on the idea in all honesty.
Have any of you had this procedure and/or changed your stance on it at all? Does anyone have a surgeon recommendation? I've gone through some of Dr. Movahed's work but I'm struggling to find others.

link to thread that sparked this: http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7281.msg63758#msg63758)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:18:26 PM by beyondconfusedtbh »

PloskoPlus

Re: Ramus lengthening (ILO, DO)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
Impressive.  I wonder how the muscles are affected by such lengthening.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:12 AM »
Good point. On his website he says he performs DO's as well, it could be that these are not ILO after all. In my mind that'd make more sense as gradually changing the shape would be less of a shock for the muscles. That's a complete stab in the dark though.
As kavan said in the other thread, it'd be useful if he'd given a brief overview of the procedures in each case.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »
Good point. On his website he says he performs DO's as well, it could be that these are not ILO after all. In my mind that'd make more sense as gradually changing the shape would be less of a shock for the muscles. That's a complete stab in the dark though.
As kavan said in the other thread, it'd be useful if he'd given a brief overview of the procedures in each case.

Yes it would be. But the contour of the woman's jaw as seen on the other thread where you found the photo of the virtual surgery plan model (of an ILO) looked very much like the VSP model I showed on other thread. Just note that the person posting her photo seemed to think it looked kind of weird (or at least that was my impression).
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:21:48 AM »
Yes it would be. But the contour of the woman's jaw as seen on the other thread where you found the photo of the virtual surgery plan model (of an ILO) looked very much like the VSP model I showed on other thread. Just note that the person posting her photo seemed to think it looked kind of weird (or at least that was my impression).

Her particular case did look strange, however he has other case studies of ILO where the results are much more 'normal' looking. Also been posted in the other thread but for convenience i'll put it here:

https://movahedoms.com/services/corrective-jaw-surgery/double-jaw-surgery/case-study-2/

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 06:42:24 AM »
Her particular case did look strange, however he has other case studies of ILO where the results are much more 'normal' looking. Also been posted in the other thread but for convenience i'll put it here:

https://movahedoms.com/services/corrective-jaw-surgery/double-jaw-surgery/case-study-2/

He doesn't say what the patient got.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:40:12 AM »
very true, do you have any suspicions as to what it could be instead? sadly 'double jaw surgery' is all its noted down as

seems like at least a couple people are curious so when the dr. gets back to me i'll update everyone :)

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
very true, do you have any suspicions as to what it could be instead? sadly 'double jaw surgery' is all its noted down as

seems like at least a couple people are curious so when the dr. gets back to me i'll update everyone :)

She looks like she might have had class 3. Maxillary retrusion with 'Lantern Jaw' or 'Long Jaw'. So I would rule out Inverse L osteo in her case.