Author Topic: is 2mm vertical+ forward advancement noticeable for genioplasty?  (Read 1800 times)

dardok

I believe after taking account small relapse, soft tissue movement not being 1:1 that the overall change will not even be noticeable.

However I had a surgeon present me his plans for 2 mm vertical and 2mm forward advancement.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: is 2mm vertical+ forward advancement noticeable for genioplasty?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
I believe after taking account small relapse, soft tissue movement not being 1:1 that the overall change will not even be noticeable.

However I had a surgeon present me his plans for 2 mm vertical and 2mm forward advancement.

hell no. if you're deficient get at least 8mm

dardok

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:45 AM »
hell no. if you're deficient get at least 8mm

Yeah, my surgeon would not even settle on 3mm or 4mm. He is a nice guy but this is ridiculous to me. I'm not deficient, my chin is on the smaller side.

I want atleast 5mm down and 4mm forward. Sad thing is I will likely have to make major trips to another city because its not looking good for surgeons in my town.

CCW

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
Under 3mm is not noticeable. This guy wants to take your money while doing as little work as possible.

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »
Just to put things in perspective, 1mm is about the width of a piece of paper (no pun intended).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »
Just to put things in perspective, 1mm is about the width of a piece of paper (no pun intended).

The width and height of US Letter paper are: In millimeters: 215.9mm x 279.4mm. You are confusing width with THICKNESS. The THICKNESS of a piece of paper is about 0.1 mm which is 10X THINNER than 1mm.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
No, that's a terrible suggestion. I had 4mm vertical and 4mm forward and while it made a noticeable difference and improvement it didn't satisfy me. Still got a small chin.

They know that with smaller advancements there's less risk of side effects as the nerves are stretched less. And I'm glad I didn't have any side effects but I wanted to take the risk for a bigger advancement. The surgeon didn't.

dardok

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
No, that's a terrible suggestion. I had 4mm vertical and 4mm forward and while it made a noticeable difference and improvement it didn't satisfy me. Still got a small chin.

They know that with smaller advancements there's less risk of side effects as the nerves are stretched less. And I'm glad I didn't have any side effects but I wanted to take the risk for a bigger advancement. The surgeon didn't.

What would you recommend then? I think 4mm vert and horizontal is the minimum id settle for.

Man I would be satisfied with 6mm but the only surgeon who would do that is 9 hours away from me. The local ones are not willing to do alot at all.

Side effect is just numbness right? So theres nothign to fear at all.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
What would you recommend then? I think 4mm vert and horizontal is the minimum id settle for.

Man I would be satisfied with 6mm but the only surgeon who would do that is 9 hours away from me. The local ones are not willing to do alot at all.

Chin ptosis, lower lip thinning, asymmetry, severe nerve pain.
And permanent numbness can be highly unpleasant.

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »

Chin ptosis, lower lip thinning, asymmetry, severe nerve pain.
And permanent numbness can be highly unpleasant.

I forgot about asymmetry. I guess I did end up with side effect. But it would not have been a problem with a larger advancement because then both sides of the chin would atleast have enough projection. Now I got one good side and one receding side. FFS.

So basicely, the more mm's you add the more risk there is for problems and the surgeons know, that's why they want to opt for smaller advancements.