Author Topic: How does maxillary advancement effect your cheekbones and eye area?  (Read 1231 times)

Nicolazzz

I was wondering if bimax surgery could have an effect on the eye area and cheekbones. Could the surgery improve this area or could it make it worse? I have pretty low set and sunken in cheekbones, and I was wondering if a maxillary advancement would make them seem a little higher set? My biggest concern is that my mid face will look even flatter than it is now after surgery, because of the lack of bone movement over the maxilla.
What have you guys experienced?

bex

Re: How does maxillary advancement effect your cheekbones and eye area?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
In my personal experience, MMA gave me cheekbones I never had before. My undereye area looks less sunken-in, but I think that's primarily due to actually getting sleep and oxygen (I had MMA to treat OSA). Pictures attached are 1-day pre-op, and 8 weeks post op.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: How does maxillary advancement effect your cheekbones and eye area?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »
The surgery, Lefort 1 part of it is not aimed at moving the under eye area and the cheek bones.  Google 'Lefort 1' for diagrams of the area it moves.

If you have aesthetic issues to an area INDEPENDENT of what the Lefort 1 aspect of the bimax surgery is aimed at addressing then you have 2 options:

Option #1, the SMART one:

Proceed with the surgery aimed at addressing what it addresses; the IMBALANCE of both jaws. Later down the line, look into procedures aimed at addressing other aesthetic issues you might have, eg recession to an area that the L1 does NOT correct.

Option #2, the STUPID one:

Be so concerned that the Lefort 1 will NOT bring forward the area you would like it to bring forward, don't get it for that reason and just live with what ever jaw imbalance you wanted corrected via the Lefort 1 that is part of the bimax.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.