Author Topic: Had chinwing yesterday, have the feeling it's WAY too big  (Read 23131 times)

ben from UK

Re: Had chinwing yesterday, have the feeling it's WAY too big
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
By the way, this post doesn't represent most cw outcomes. I've seen good cw outcomes. With me, looking back, something went wrong with pushing both sides of the jawangles outwards. I had cw + horizontal lower border outward push (forgot the name). But something went wrong. The bone from the jawangle must have been smashed into pieces and was all over the place, looking at the ct at the time. The consequence was a longface (long chin), which of course had to be balanced out by broader jawangles. But the jawangles were missing (broken off into pieces), so I got a disproportionate long chin. I still don't know why it went so wrong (nothing hit my face, so I guess it happened during surgery). I guess it's a delicate procedure if you cut off part of the lower jaw and push it outwards along with lowering the jaw/chin. I've seen cw ct scans and most of them have done the simple cw, that means lowering the lower border of the jaw. But what stupidjaws and I did was more complicated, with an additional horizontal flare.

Fortunately, in my case, I could rebuild the jawangles with implants, otherwise I would have a deformed face with no jawangles.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
By the way, this post doesn't represent most cw outcomes. I've seen good cw outcomes. With me, looking back, something went wrong with pushing both sides of the jawangles outwards. I had cw + horizontal lower border outward push (forgot the name). But something went wrong. The bone from the jawangle must have been smashed into pieces and was all over the place, looking at the ct at the time. The consequence was a longface (long chin), which of course had to be balanced out by broader jawangles. But the jawangles were missing (broken off into pieces), so I got a disproportionate long chin. I still don't know why it went so wrong (nothing hit my face, so I guess it happened during surgery). I guess it's a delicate procedure if you cut off part of the lower jaw and push it outwards along with lowering the jaw/chin. I've seen cw ct scans and most of them have done the simple cw, that means lowering the lower border of the jaw. But what stupidjaws and I did was more complicated, with an additional horizontal flare.

Fortunately, in my case, I could rebuild the jawangles with implants, otherwise I would have a deformed face with no jawangles.

I think there's a lot they can do with these types of Ostetomies of the lower mandibular border
AKA, 'chin wings', as to the type of displacements they can do with it. But if they actually do  a LOT in ONE surgery, something CAN snap. Pulling/displacing in too many directions at one time can result in elasticity failure. I think this is most likely the rational for having to under go MORE than one oesteotomy of the lower mandibular border to achieve multiple 'effects' with it.

Was this something where you wanted what SJ did but got done in one surgery?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ben from UK

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 11:40:40 PM »
I think there's a lot they can do with these types of Ostetomies of the lower mandibular border
AKA, 'chin wings', as to the type of displacements they can do with it. But if they actually do  a LOT in ONE surgery, something CAN snap. Pulling/displacing in too many directions at one time can result in elasticity failure. I think this is most likely the rational for having to under go MORE than one oesteotomy of the lower mandibular border to achieve multiple 'effects' with it.

Was this something where you wanted what SJ did but got done in one surgery?

Yes, in one surgery. Elastacity failure might have happened. Both sides probably scattered (one side more than the other). I saw it on the ct scan just after the surgery. Surgeon didn't want to tell what was wrong but I knew something wasn't right. Looking back, I think it must have been elastacity failure or if it wasn't that, something else went wrong. Tricky procedure.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2019, 06:06:07 AM »
Yes, in one surgery. Elastacity failure might have happened. Both sides probably scattered (one side more than the other). I saw it on the ct scan just after the surgery. Surgeon didn't want to tell what was wrong but I knew something wasn't right. Looking back, I think it must have been elastacity failure or if it wasn't that, something else went wrong. Tricky procedure.

This is really unfortunate, I'm sorry.  I hope you can fix this with implants if you choose to go that route.

I find that  even just knowing there is a potential fix for a result you are unhappy with helps cope with the bad feelings.  People might say "there's more to life than jaw angles" and yeah, that's true.  But if it hurts to look in the mirror and the problem is both real and treatable, it's probably worth it for your quality of life.

ben from UK

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
This is really unfortunate, I'm sorry.  I hope you can fix this with implants if you choose to go that route.

I find that  even just knowing there is a potential fix for a result you are unhappy with helps cope with the bad feelings.  People might say "there's more to life than jaw angles" and yeah, that's true.  But if it hurts to look in the mirror and the problem is both real and treatable, it's probably worth it for your quality of life.

Thanks. I already fixed the angles months ago, but it was a tough time.

I think jawangles are probably the most important feature in a male face. I've seen pics of people with for example flat faces, crooked noses, big noses or weak chins, and the right jaw can bring back the whole balance and make other flaws less visible. But of course, it differs from person to person.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »

My GUESS--and this is based on your saying that you got the drop down of the mandibular border in addition to a 'wing out' or 'flare out to the back of the jaw, is that after he made the cut to free the mandibular border (to lower it), an attempt was made to PRY the back part outward and it snapped. Elasticity issues come into play when you attempt to PRY out a PART of something.

I really think that is why the first surgery is best devoted to to the release of the mandibular border in which the displacements can be a drop down and a forward advancement where there is NO prying at the back of the border. The drop down would be sandwiched with bone buttress, often your own hip bone.

The second surgery would involve a second CUT where the second cut would go through the first one and then a third cut to the back of the mandibular border to release it, re-orient it and regraft isolated displacement of that part so it 'wings out' from front.

Elasticity issues don't come into play when cuts are with aim to displace mandibular border or even parts of it. They come into play when parts of the mandibular border are PRIED away from the other parts.

ben from UK

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »
My GUESS--and this is based on your saying that you got the drop down of the mandibular border in addition to a 'wing out' or 'flare out to the back of the jaw, is that after he made the cut to free the mandibular border (to lower it), an attempt was made to PRY the back part outward and it snapped. Elasticity issues come into play when you attempt to PRY out a PART of something.

I really think that is why the first surgery is best devoted to to the release of the mandibular border in which the displacements can be a drop down and a forward advancement where there is NO prying at the back of the border. The drop down would be sandwiched with bone buttress, often your own hip bone.

The second surgery would involve a second CUT where the second cut would go through the first one and then a third cut to the back of the mandibular border to release it, re-orient it and regraft isolated displacement of that part so it 'wings out' from front.

Elasticity issues don't come into play when cuts are with aim to displace mandibular border or even parts of it. They come into play when parts of the mandibular border are PRIED away from the other parts.

Uhuh, I think you're right and it might have happened the way you describe it. Glad I could fix this whole mess.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »
Uhuh, I think you're right and it might have happened the way you describe it. Glad I could fix this whole mess.

Well, glad you got a fix and it's now 'water under the bridge'.