Author Topic: I ACTUALLY BELIEVE A LOT OF THIS s**t  (Read 39353 times)

pekay

Re: I ACTUALLY BELIEVE A LOT OF THIS s**t
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
I'm sorry, but there are plenty of tribes on nat geo that eat unprocessed food and don't have perfect teeth or jaws.

hehe yeah, i have noticed this too

you guys seem to be under-estimating the power of braces and other orthodontic appliances (helix, twin block, herbst, pendulum etc..) especially in kids since the facial bones are still soft and "weak", wrong/improper orthodontic treatment (during one's youth) can indeed worsen a dental skeletal malocclusion

Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
oh well it was worth a shot....

CK

• Private
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »
hehe yeah, i have noticed this too

you guys seem to be under-estimating the power of braces and other orthodontic appliances (helix, twin block, herbst, pendulum etc..) especially in kids since the facial bones are still soft and "weak", wrong/improper orthodontic treatment (during one's youth) can indeed worsen a dental skeletal malocclusion

agreed. ive become highly suspicious of orthodontic work in general. very sketchy and potentially destructive. not worth the risk of undermining natural growth just for the sake of a stable bite. wow kid you have a great bite definitely worth messing up your face for life bro. thanks for the cash.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »
agreed. ive become highly suspicious of orthodontic work in general. very sketchy and potentially destructive. not worth the risk of undermining natural growth just for the sake of a stable bite. wow kid you have a great bite definitely worth messing up your face for life bro. thanks for the cash.

True unfortunately.....legislation needs to be started to stop this.

Modigliani

• Private

pekay

Chopsticks > Spoons

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
you know what the problem is man, while i absolutely agree with you. I wouldn't be able to mentally handle it. I've wasted a year of my life being obsessed by this and if I sued the doctor I would then have to invest time and money and most importantly mental energy which would cause even more mental suffering. My dad says he wants to sue our ortho but I just can't be involved in that.

It's also tricky. You have to get two other orthodontists to testify against your doctor. that what he did was wrong. and then your original ortho might have buddies who speak up from his side.

It's a horrible thing, but I feel like I just have to move on. My ortho lied to me. I asked him point blank: "are there any risks to this surgery, is there anything I should be aware of." etc. etc. And he
consistently responded NO NO NO in the most carefree and happy manner, he continued with saying. He just lied.

I know how you feel but this is why all these orthos and dentists get away with what they do.
And most times don't even come to find out the harm they do to patients.
I am thinking of hiring someone to do all the research and legwork to look into lawsuits and/or law/ practices changes.   

Alue

• Private
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
honestly I think we overstate the strength braces can have on development of the face. is there anything to suggest that they prevent forward development? Both my brothers had braces and came out unscathed.

I think a lot stronger a case can be made for unusual respiratory pattern being a cause, since it is so crucial & tied to overall health and development, it isn't surprising in the least that if it suffers, your whole development does.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12202641
Thus, headgear-generated orthopedic forces evoke bending of the zygomatic arch and stresses of the temporal articular eminence in vitro, suggesting the need to verify whether bone strain induces in vivo bone modeling and remodeling.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18004917
CONCLUSION:
Cervical headgear treatment in Class II correction is associated with a decreased facial convexity caused by the restriction of forward growth of the maxillary A-point, while the rest of the facial profile, including the mandible, continue to grow forward at a normal rate.

This one study was done 50 years ago:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0002941663900630

1. A posterior change in the position of the pterygomaxillary fissure was recorded.

2. The anterior nasal spine revealed a smaller amount of movement in an anterior direction.

3. A tipping of the anterior part of the palatal plane downward was evident.

4. On the basis of the data presented, there is strong evidence to support the contention that headgear treatment during the age period studied can alter the interrelationship of the sphenoid bone to the other bones in the craniofacial complex. The change in relationship recorded was a slight clockwise rotation of the sphenoid bone, with an alteration of the facial growth pattern of the treated children.

This article seriously questions the previously held contention that orthodontic treatment influences only the dentoalveolar area of the face. Ample evidence is presented to indicate that during the growth period of a child orthodontic therapy may influence the future growth pattern of the entire craniofacial complex.

I have seen a lot of people go through orthodontics unscathed... even some you meet online that are worried it may have ruined their faces, but I have also seen impaired growth in a few (including my own) cases. 

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12202641
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18004917

This one study was done 50 years ago:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0002941663900630

I have seen a lot of people go through orthodontics unscathed... even some you meet online that are worried it may have ruined their faces, but I have also seen impaired growth in a few (including my own) cases.

What orthodontic techniques in your opinion can impair growth? what areas is the growth impaired?

CK

• Private
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »

it depends on how long you had braces, the appliances your ortho used, how aggressive or conservative he is. i had braces almost 10 years, subject to every orthodontic appliance known to man with the exception of headgear (THANK GOD) and i had no extractions. i know people who had full extractions AND headgear in the 70s and 80s. it definitely shows. most kids have braces 1-3 years with limited force. my ortho says all children should see an ortho before they are 8 to make sure their teeth are okay. not sure how sensible that is.

"oh yes you have crowding, let's pull 4...no..6..teeth."

Alue

• Private
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
What orthodontic techniques in your opinion can impair growth? what areas is the growth impaired?

In my opinion, headgear, when you are applying outside force for an extending period of time.  What areas depends on the type of headgear (cervical, high-pull, etc.) it also depends on how long it is applied for and what force is applied to the headgear.  Most orthodontists will claim that headgear only holds the molars in place while the arch is brought back to close extraction spaces, but there is evidence that it can prevent forward growth of the maxilla (or even vertical growth if high pull headgear is used).  This is where the tension at which the headgear is used comes into play, if too much tension is used it absolutely can modify growth.   

CK

• Private
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
In my opinion, headgear, when you are applying outside force for an extending period of time.  What areas depends on the type of headgear (cervical, high-pull, etc.) it also depends on how long it is applied for and what force is applied to the headgear.  Most orthodontists will claim that headgear only holds the molars in place while the arch is brought back to close extraction spaces, but there is evidence that it can prevent forward growth of the maxilla (or even vertical growth if high pull headgear is used).  This is where the tension at which the headgear is used comes into play, if too much tension is used it absolutely can modify growth.

maxilla is most important since it's growth is tied to the rest of the upper face. sad.

pekay

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »
This article seriously questions the previously held contention that orthodontic treatment influences only the dentoalveolar area of the face. Ample evidence is presented to indicate that during the growth period of a child orthodontic therapy may influence the future growth pattern of the entire craniofacial complex.

pretty f**king insane that 2 dentists or w/e noticed that 50 YEARS AGO and yet the same unorthodox techniques are still being used to this day
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »
pretty f**king insane that 2 dentists or w/e noticed that 50 YEARS AGO and yet the same unorthodox techniques are still being used to this day

imagine all the $$$ lost if bad medicine was dropped by the orthodontic community. orthodontic industry is mostly self-regulated and this is the end result.

CK

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
maybe someone with time should edit the wiki article since there is nothing on the controversy or risks of extractions.