Author Topic: Will CW rotation of the Maxilla decrease the airway?  (Read 927 times)

scramfranklin

Will CW rotation of the Maxilla decrease the airway?
« on: October 23, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
My question is basically the title. My occlusal plane slopes downward, and my surgeon spoke about advancing both of my jaws, and CW rotation of my maxilla. I am hoping that will give the best aesthetic, as well as functional benefit.  I have read that CCW rotation is often used to increase the airway, so just curious if the opposite will decrease mine.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Will CW rotation of the Maxilla decrease the airway?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »
Since we know nothing about your case or plan, we can only speak in general. Advancement of the maxilomandibular complex open the airways. The advancement of the mandible opens the lower airways and advancement of the maxilla opens the upper airways.

When rotating the maxilla ccw by posterior downgrafting it comes naturally that PNS (posterior part of the maxilla) comes down and forward, which opens the upper airways and also nasal airways. So this kind of rotation allows the airways to open even if the anterior part of the maxilla is not moved forward.

However a cw rotation doesn't necessarily means the opposite,  that PNS is moved back and up. The surgeon will likely not want to do anything to close your airways, but it's impossible to comment on how the movements will be handled in your case.

scramfranklin

Re: Will CW rotation of the Maxilla decrease the airway?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
Thank you Dogmatix. Makes sense. Repped. I will post my cephs once the surgeon emails them to me.