Author Topic: Paleness in the face - any connection with jaw position?  (Read 864 times)

crookedfaceblues

Paleness in the face - any connection with jaw position?
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:25:35 PM »
This might be an absolute reach - but I'm wondering if it is possible for a connection to exist between paleness in the face (compared to elsewhere on the body) and an underdeveloped jaw? Perhaps by way of improper blood circulation since the jaw is not in the correct position?

I could've sworn I saw somewhere the claim that 'face-pulling' can improve blood flow and color to the face (unfortunately can't find that claim now), which seems improbable to me.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this, and what jaw surgery would do in this regard if the two are at all linked? Can't find much about this elsewhere.

face_backward

Re: Paleness in the face - any connection with jaw position?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
n=1, I have sleep apnea due to my jaw position, and treat it with a jaw-advancement device.  On morning after sleeping without the device, my face is noticeably paler (except under the eyes, where it's darker), and tends to remain so throughout the day.  In my case I'm pretty sure this is sleep-related -- I don't think my pallor is improved just by advancing the jaw while I'm awake. 

ditterbo

Re: Paleness in the face - any connection with jaw position?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Come to think of it, I think there may be a connection between being well rested and having a well colored face. So then if you have some clinically significant OSA, you'd not have as much color. I notice my face looks a lot warmer after taking a long afternoon nap.