Author Topic: My bottom teeth are still numb 1 year after genioplasty  (Read 1009 times)

yul_brynner

My bottom teeth are still numb 1 year after genioplasty
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:10:49 AM »
Hi, i thought i would post this here because i'm starting to get really worried about it. I got genioplasty 12 months ago and my bottom teeth (6 teeth on the front) are still numb. I'm happy with how the chin looks now and i have no numbness in my lips or gums but just my teeth are still numb. A few months ago i spoke to my surgeon about it and he said he moved my chin forward a long way (10-12mm's i can't remember exactly now) which is causing the numbness. He said no nerves were damaged so the numbness should go away after a while but it's been a year and its still not gone.

Is there still a chance it will go back to normal or am i screwed? How common is this? Any advice appreciated thanks.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: My bottom teeth are still numb 1 year after genioplasty
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
Hi, i thought i would post this here because i'm starting to get really worried about it. I got genioplasty 12 months ago and my bottom teeth (6 teeth on the front) are still numb. I'm happy with how the chin looks now and i have no numbness in my lips or gums but just my teeth are still numb. A few months ago i spoke to my surgeon about it and he said he moved my chin forward a long way (10-12mm's i can't remember exactly now) which is causing the numbness. He said no nerves were damaged so the numbness should go away after a while but it's been a year and its still not gone.

Is there still a chance it will go back to normal or am i screwed? How common is this? Any advice appreciated thanks.

I don't know the exact statistical probabilities associated with risks  and likelihoods for numbness to go away. But long term to perm numbness is a risk associated with genio . Although they might not emphasize it's a risk when speaking to you, they usually list it as one in the legal disclosure form they have patients sign before they get the surgery. I guess the best you can do is wait longer because it's not unheard of for normality to take more than a year in some situations.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: My bottom teeth are still numb 1 year after genioplasty
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
Most healing takes place close to surgery and chances decrease with time. Nerves are fantastic in a way where they can connect by another route when healing and the brain can rewire to get the senses right. E.g people who've been partly paralyzed can sometimes learn to walk even though the old paths will never heal, and it can take long time.

Just as above, I don't have any data to refer to. I would think that after a year one migh have to consider getting used to it, but maybe not rule out entirely.