Author Topic: Genioplasty variations & Chin width  (Read 1800 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

Genioplasty variations & Chin width
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:16:53 PM »
If added chin width is also a goal when performing a genioplasty, a midline split & some kind of graft can be utilised in cases where a CW is not applicable/ impossible.

Only the front of the chin gets wider with this technique, as the cuts don't mobilise the entire lower section of the mandible.

So how does this look? I feel like this technique is a good alternative for those of us who aren't candidates for a CW & honestly I feel like in some cases it might yield more aesthetuc results, although i'm cautious about the results being lackluster due to soft tissue response.

Anyone who's had their chin widened (NOT CW) wanna give me a hand? Is something to this effect achievable? I'm specifically talking about the the separation or 'step off' in the after picture.

https://imgur.com/a/Hf8jQta*

Just to clarify, strictly speaking about OSTEOTOMIES here.

*That was my best attempt at a morph, I know it looks exaggerated/ overly square

korvitz

Re: Genioplasty variations & Chin width
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 03:07:05 AM »
What about an T shaped genioplasty with bone grafting to fill in the gaps

did some surgeon tell you are not eligible for CW because the nerve is in the way? Triaca claims in this lecture at 11:05 that 95% of people are elegible for CW https://youtu.be/SJnOffLBIkk?t=663
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:15:53 AM by korvitz »

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:27:09 AM »
Yeah that's exactly why actually, thanks for the resources. Applauded.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:20:39 PM »
Your chin wasn't widened in your morph. Sections of it were reduced. The widening was to the areas beside the chin.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:09:10 AM by GJ »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:36 AM »
Your chin wasn't widened in your morph. Sections of it were reduced. The widening was to the areas beside the chin.

Thanks, this is helpful.

So the morph depicts the widening of the anterior mandible both horizontally & vertically (1) coupled with a reduction to lateral chin (2).

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Schema-of-preoperative-3D-skull-modeling-For-3-dimensional-3D-correction-of-the-chin_fig1_253330877

This paper shows at least (1) if I'm not mistaken.

Also, how does the soft tissue adhere to the decreased volume of bone in the case of a reduction/ reshaping? Does it depend on age etc.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
Thanks, this is helpful.

So the morph depicts the widening of the anterior mandible both horizontally & vertically (1) coupled with a reduction to lateral chin (2).

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Schema-of-preoperative-3D-skull-modeling-For-3-dimensional-3D-correction-of-the-chin_fig1_253330877

This paper shows at least (1) if I'm not mistaken.

Also, how does the soft tissue adhere to the decreased volume of bone in the case of a reduction/ reshaping? Does it depend on age etc.

These spin off questions have nothing to do with the objective of the demonstration. The objective of the demonstration was to show how simple grammar school applications of geometry can be used to OBSERVE basic changes made on the morph, in particular to observe you did NOT widen the chin.

Something that SHOWS you in the most simple way possible that your morph did NOT relate to widening the chin should be enough for you to put that information together to CONCLUDE your morph doesn't relate to a T shape osteo to widen the chin. So pointless to engage in cross reference to an academic paper showing a T shape osteo that has nothing to do with what you did in the morph. You did not shorten the chin, widen it or lengthen it as was shown in the academic paper.

My analysis of your morph has NOTHING TO DO with a T shaped osteo of the chin which was the whole point of the demonstration. So, pointless to refer to an academic paper on T shaped osteo that has nothing to do with what you did on the morph.

The other question also has nothing to do with the objective of the demonstration. So pointless to ask about soft tissue adherence. The point of the demonstration was to show how one COULD OBSERVE changes they did in a morph LEST they apply the changes they did in a morph to the WRONG type of surgery. The objective of the demonstration was to try in the most simple way possible to get you to OBSERVE something that can be observed. A SHAPE from the lateral chin was removed and a SHAPE to the anterior mandible was added which is what resulted in the ARC constructed in your morph. Both shapes were CURVES. One removed below a straight (diagonal) line and one added below a straight diagonal line.

So try to observe simple things that are there to observe before venturing into more complex material (eg. demonstrations in academic papers) and attempting to use those to observe things that can be observed WITHOUT them. That's probably why you're always confused. Complex stuff will be beyond you in the absence of mastering the simple.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.