Author Topic: Dr Defrancq  (Read 2876 times)

Reality

• Private
Dr Defrancq
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
Recently had a consultation with Dr Defrancq to discuss genio+peek

• Very straightforward demeanor (will accommodate your aesthetic desires but likes to be realistic & measured in terms of mm's/advancements)
• Took time to answer all of my questions (which were quite comprehensive)
• He was comfortable discussing how many cases he has performed and of those, the number of infections that transpired (low complication to operation ratio) as well as what measures were taken to eradicate infection.
Note: of those patients who did have an infection, removal was not necessary: all patients were extricated from infection and implants preserved.
• Discussed prevention protocols for infection pre & post op etc...
• Discussed PEEK comparatively to other implant materials, mainly Titanium and Silicone.
• Discussed the customization process of PEEK, and talked numbers in-terms of horizontal and vertical increase possibilities.
• Discussed genioplasty technique and movement numbers.

Overall, I enjoyed our discussion, liked his personality and thought it worth the price of admission (which was quite reasonable considering mode of communication).

However,
I'm slightly trepidatious regarding his genioplasty technique and would greatly appreciate any insight from Kavan (if you have the time, I know you're busy). He mentioned that he degloves the chin: he explained that he does this because it prevents or lessens the chance of muscle, nerve and tissue damage. That sounds good in theory but from what I understand, the chin shouldn't be degloved because there's a high possibility that the mentalis muscles won't be reattached properly which can cause a host of not only aesthetic but also functional issues.

What are your thoughts?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Dr Defrancq
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
Degloving the chin, if that's the way he does it, is a matter of how well that works in HIS hands. If he's good at it, then his risks could be lower than those you found from other sources. So, you would have to cross reference the concerns you have from your research or readings as to the risks with him regarding what he has to say about preventing them in HIS hands.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Reality

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »
@Kavan: Thank you for the insight, much appreciated! +karma

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »
@Kavan: Thank you for the insight, much appreciated! +karma

:-*
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Stei

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 05:20:32 AM »
Not sure if he had performed this procedure on me but if he did, then I wouldn't say he's good at it.
The surgery was 2 years ago and I can't feel the left side under my mouth since then.
I can't say if it's due to nerf damages or something wrong with the muscle since it relieves me when I move it down.

What I am sure of is that if it goes wrong he will offer you no help. In my case, he doesn't remember exactly what happened, what he has done, he simply considers it's bad luck and nothing can be done about it.

Reality

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
@Stei Sorry for the late reply, I've only now just seen your message.

Not sure if he had performed this procedure on me but if he did, then I wouldn't say he's good at it.

• What procedure(s) did you specifically go to him for initially?  Also, was your focus on aesthetics, function or both?

• Moreover, was your result inadequate enough to warrant a revision? If yes, how did you or are you handling this endeavor?