Author Topic: Chin looks a bit too short after implant  (Read 4440 times)

ben from UK

Chin looks a bit too short after implant
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »
Let me tell first that the surgeons that did the work done their ontmost best. Because of previous surgeries, the difficulty was much higher. I had PEEK wrap around implants 3 weeks ago (including jaw angles). The thing that bothers me is that the chin area looks too short. It's all nicely shaped around the chin, I don't think it looks unnatural, but there seems to be lack of vertical height, making the lower third (a bit) too compact. There's still swelling of course, but even then, swelling or no swelling, the chin area has a certain length. The shortness may be partially due to the fact the jaw angles were lowered, but there was also shaving off of the sides of the chin (underneath of it), because after a botched cw, the face was too long. If it stays like this and the chin area is indeed too short, what can be done? Is changing PEEK chin/size easy or difficult, and should it be done quickly in order to prevent ingrowth of tissue or should I wait 2-3 months like with silicone implants?

ditterbo

Re: Chin looks a bit too short after implant
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »
I've read of people seeking perfection with jaw/chin implants. They ultimately get a revision, sometimes resulting in even more aesthetic issues or even infection, ruining the whole project. I would think very hard before trying to do 'touch ups' with implants in the jaw/chin. I don't know how PEEK integrates, but generally would not be in a rush to revise this type of procedure.

Heck my chin implant revision, while an aesthetic improvement, did NOT fix my lower lip issue as the doc was so confident of being able to do in the revision.

ben from UK

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 02:50:43 AM »
I've read of people seeking perfection with jaw/chin implants. They ultimately get a revision, sometimes resulting in even more aesthetic issues or even infection, ruining the whole project. I would think very hard before trying to do 'touch ups' with implants in the jaw/chin. I don't know how PEEK integrates, but generally would not be in a rush to revise this type of procedure.

Heck my chin implant revision, while an aesthetic improvement, did NOT fix my lower lip issue as the doc was so confident of being able to do in the revision.

Thanks. Why did you have chin revision? And did you also had jaw implants? What kind of lower lip issue? Numbness?

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:57:36 AM »
Could the shortness be due to bite issues? I.e. an overbite making it look short? Apart from the shortness how does the rest of it look? Are you happy with it?

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:06:05 AM »
Could the shortness be due to bite issues? I.e. an overbite making it look short? Apart from the shortness how does the rest of it look? Are you happy with it?

I have no bite issues. My bite is okay. I don't know how the rest will look like as I'm still a bit swollen at the jaw areas tbh.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 05:09:19 AM »
Well happy healing and keep us updated. Maybe when the swelling goes down things will start to look more balanced. That’s what happened after my genioplasty.

ben from UK

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:19 AM »
Well happy healing and keep us updated. Maybe when the swelling goes down things will start to look more balanced. That’s what happened after my genioplasty.

Thank you. How long did it take before the swelling of your genio went away?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
Let me tell first that the surgeons that did the work done their ontmost best. Because of previous surgeries, the difficulty was much higher. I had PEEK wrap around implants 3 weeks ago (including jaw angles). The thing that bothers me is that the chin area looks too short. It's all nicely shaped around the chin, I don't think it looks unnatural, but there seems to be lack of vertical height, making the lower third (a bit) too compact. There's still swelling of course, but even then, swelling or no swelling, the chin area has a certain length. The shortness may be partially due to the fact the jaw angles were lowered, but there was also shaving off of the sides of the chin (underneath of it), because after a botched cw, the face was too long. If it stays like this and the chin area is indeed too short, what can be done? Is changing PEEK chin/size easy or difficult, and should it be done quickly in order to prevent ingrowth of tissue or should I wait 2-3 months like with silicone implants?

Here's what can be done:

You can stop getting surgeries that 'chase' after a 2mm differential.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
Here's what can be done:

You can stop getting surgeries that 'chase' after a 2mm differential.
Well, technically 2 mm is the considered the minimum noticeable change (at least with regards to jaw surgery)... Some say it can be as little as 1 mm, if the features are small.  IMO, one needs a s**tload of luck with aesthetic surgery.  If the first one is NQR, the revision is harder, the revision of the revision is harder still and so on.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
Ben,

Are you sure you're trying to change the right things in the first place?  The midface and the ratio between midface length and the distance between the eyes pretty much dominate the facial proportions.  And if your midface is too long or too short, you may never be quite satisfied with changes to other parts of your face.  I hope that makes sense and I have not offended you.

ben from UK

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:24:42 PM »
Ben,

Are you sure you're trying to change the right things in the first place?  The midface and the ratio between midface length and the distance between the eyes pretty much dominate the facial proportions.  And if your midface is too long or too short, you may never be quite satisfied with changes to other parts of your face.  I hope that makes sense and I have not offended you.

Yeah, my midface is slightly too long, that's true. I also had a bit of oval shaped face. That makes it difficult compared to someone with square face without long midface but short lower third. He only has to lengthen his lower third to bring it back in proportions. With me, it's changing the oval to square a bit + lengthening lower third, which can easily give an overdone look or be too short in the end. Shortening midface is not an option for me and too tricky.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:13 AM »
Well, technically 2 mm is the considered the minimum noticeable change (at least with regards to jaw surgery)... Some say it can be as little as 1 mm, if the features are small.  IMO, one needs a s**tload of luck with aesthetic surgery.  If the first one is NQR, the revision is harder, the revision of the revision is harder still and so on.

Assuming 'NQR' means 'not quite right', your statement is consistent with my advice which was to stop getting surgeries to chase a 2mm differential. It just puts you on REVISION TREADMILL where you get the law of diminishing returns.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
Assuming 'NQR' means 'not quite right', your statement is consistent with my advice which was to stop getting surgeries to chase a 2mm differential. It just puts you on REVISION TREADMILL where you get the law of diminishing returns.
Yes, that's what I meant.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
How’s it going? Is the swelling coming down?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 04:47:04 PM »
Ben,

tl;dr - Why not just grow a beard?

I've been looking through NHL player mugshots.  It seems like athleticism is no guarantee of a handsome face.  Most players don't look like Tom Wilson (I don't understand why he's risking his face fighting so much).

In NHL, many players grow beards during playoffs.  The difference, at least to me, can be striking: