Author Topic: How can a surgeon calculate the right dimensions of an implant or bone movement?  (Read 674 times)

ben from UK

So, most surgeons use computer techniques to design an implant, for example, wrap around implant. The problem with this is that on the model, things may look perfect, but after surgery, it may look way too big or unnatural. Some surgeons design the implant and then do additional shaving during the procedure. I asked many surgeons and they said they all could 'see' what the results were when putting the implants in. If they can see it, why are so many results of implants bad, unnatural, overdone etc.?

Suppose a surgeon puts a jaw implant into the face. It turns out slightly too big or too high or too low or whatever. What is he going to do? Take it out, shave it? How does he know how much shaving he has to do? What about swelling? How fast does the face swell? Can a surgeon see the outcome if a face is swollen? Or does it take a couple of hours before the face swells?

And what if the surgeon has three other patients that day and the surgery takes longer than expected? Do you think he will care if he puts the implant in and it turns out too big? Maybe he will leave it in, thinking: I have three other patients.

Same goes for bonework. Suppose a female wants to shave her chin and jaw to look more feminine. What if the surgeon shaves off too much and miscalculates? What can he do? If a surgeon can see the result during surgery, why are there so many asymmetric cases with chin wing for example?

I ask these questions cause I wonder if surgery on the face is like someone operating in the dark. Could it be that once swelling kicks in, it's impossible for a surgeon to know what the outcome will be and he has to work purely on intuition?

Anyone thought about these practical things?