Author Topic: New implant imitates bone structure  (Read 8256 times)

jusken

• Private
Re: New implant imitates bone structure
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »

Dude, you don't even know. I'm in Miami right now visiting some family and have been here for a few weeks.

There are some ridiculously good looking girls and guys here --but they're all of spanish/cuban heritage and of course I'm just noticing the occasional good looking person.

There are tons of white people here too and they f**king HORDES of old people 50 plus. MANY, MANY probably HALF have noticeable plastic surgery and they look like complete f**king JUNKBOTS.

f**ked up long midfaces with the skin pulled tight, obviously died hair and/or hair implants. Pinched noses and wonky looking eyes. And plastic surgery seems like a major industry here. There are billboards with huge photos of asshole surgeons advertizing their plastic surgery expertise. Those are clearly the guys f**king people over so they can live in those modernist homes overlooking the ocean with the yachts parked out front.

It's like if these women and men hadn't gotten plastic surgery they would look 10X times better. And most of them you can tell have had several procedures. We're just deluding ourselves here as well. We're clearly "coping".

The lookism stuff is clearly based on elements of truth, but also doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.  No amount of privilege is going to be enough for someone who doesn't 'cope' (if you are deficient in any way clearly you're coping /s), but it's certainly easier to do that if you live a charmed life.  And that's the thing, we have made comparing ourselves to others by far the largest change in society in the last 10-15 years, and it's hard for people to deal with.  My guess is that this will (hopefully) inevitably also lead to empathy, and then cooperation and progress - might take a while.

Going back to my first post in this thread, this also drives home my point about the necessity of the disruption of medical fields (ESPECIALLY cosmetic).  This is an industry rife with predatory tactics, misinformation, and badly outdated practices.  But that's also how these guys stay in business.  There is so little transparency, you simply can't trust anyone to give you a plain answer.  They are preying on people's desperation to be healthier or better looking, because underneath all of the facade, of course we all know it's very important.  But, very few people end up strictly better than before - many end up in a downward spiral of failed corrections.  It's not clear where the critical mass will happen:  is it society that will slowly change its view of cosmetic surgery and therefore invest in better technologies, or are mega-rich corporations already getting enough resources to change technology with enough time (and will it be accessible to everyone?).

So, is surgery going to change in the next 10-15 years?  It really all comes down to progress in AI (will surgery even be the primary mode of care?).  At this point, many industries have collected all of the broad conceptual framework related to what we want changed, now we need both the brute force (which we are very close to having enough of) and the contextual intelligence (which we need a lot of work on) to analyze it all.  Cataloging genomes is becoming extremely cheap and accessible, gene editing is making slow progress in curing rare diseases, cars can almost drive themselves, even regeneration and aging is becoming more understood. But, the final progress will be made by analyzing huge data sets with some fraction of human level intelligence. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
In the end it will be easier to select (or genetically engineered) for healthy, good looking offspring rather than try to fix adults. We might just be the last ugly, mortal generation.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 11:12:23 PM »
In the end it will be easier to select (or genetically engineered) for healthy, good looking offspring rather than try to fix adults. We might just be the last ugly, mortal generation.

So I don't know how upto date you are on this stuff and you may be right but according to George Church who runs one of the most advanced Crispr labs any sort of gene therapy can be applied to adults through virus that go into the body and clip or activate particular genes etc.

I mean I know s**t about this other than watching some lectures but his whole lab is working on aging reversal and that's apparently possible in animals and stuff now. Actually reversing the organism to a more youthful stage with changes in appearance and performance etc.

That said, to edit the genome for beauty I mean that would involve potentially thousands of genes and do we really know what the possible side effects would be?

Kavan, you have a strong science background, do you think George Church's work is legit and do you think we'll see applications to us in like the next 5-10 years as he predicts. I mean f**k if we can turn back the clock that already gives us all sorts of beauty advantages like hair growth and firmer skin etc..

Jusken, I think you're right to say the key will be in data mining. I mean sure maybe a scientist won't be able to figure out how genes work in concert to make a good looking person but something crazy advanced like a quantum computer (Kavan we're close to that right?) could potentially figure s**t like that out by instantly examining millions of gene combinations and simulating them in a computerized human model so that they wouldn't even have to run trials on a real human.

Is this s**t all just science fiction, or would any of that be possible?

I do find this s**t sad and depressing. There's something so pathetic about us and these base superficial desires isn't there?

Honestly the truth is I can't stand my appearance and I want to change it. But as my youth dwindles I also wonder what for and why and where is all of this going or is this just a f**ked up obsession that's killing me and that is robbing whatever precious life I have left....

jusken

• Private
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:21 AM »

So I don't know how upto date you are on this stuff and you may be right but according to George Church who runs one of the most advanced Crispr labs any sort of gene therapy can be applied to adults through virus that go into the body and clip or activate particular genes etc.

I mean I know s**t about this other than watching some lectures but his whole lab is working on aging reversal and that's apparently possible in animals and stuff now. Actually reversing the organism to a more youthful stage with changes in appearance and performance etc.

That said, to edit the genome for beauty I mean that would involve potentially thousands of genes and do we really know what the possible side effects would be?

Kavan, you have a strong science background, do you think George Church's work is legit and do you think we'll see applications to us in like the next 5-10 years as he predicts. I mean f**k if we can turn back the clock that already gives us all sorts of beauty advantages like hair growth and firmer skin etc..

Jusken, I think you're right to say the key will be in data mining. I mean sure maybe a scientist won't be able to figure out how genes work in concert to make a good looking person but something crazy advanced like a quantum computer (Kavan we're close to that right?) could potentially figure s**t like that out by instantly examining millions of gene combinations and simulating them in a computerized human model so that they wouldn't even have to run trials on a real human.

I do find this s**t sad and depressing. There's something so pathetic about us and these base superficial desires isn't there?

Honestly the truth is I can't stand my appearance and I want to change it. But as my youth dwindles I also wonder what for and why and where is all of this going or is this just a f**ked up obsession that's killing me and that is robbing whatever precious life I have left....

Making an ugly adult beautiful is very much in the realm of science fiction for now.  This really is quite a feat (basically reverse engineering human development), and like Plosko said might be very far away.  Making someone healthier and extending their lifespan might actually be a lot easier tbh... so there's that atleast.  There was only a couple groups working on this problem just several years ago, and that number has grown to like a dozen just in the last couple years.

I'm fairly certain there will be some amount of 'science fiction' breakthroughs in my lifetime though based on what I'm seeing happening.  Trying to predict exactly what's going to happen or how it will happen isn't really possible.  We're all just along for the ride for now.

ben from UK

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 05:15:54 AM »

Most people on this site and also on Lookism aren't ugly. Some are good looking. Also, most incels for example, aren't ugly, mostly they are just above average. And that's the problem. If you come from far or you have a really big flaw in one part of the face, like a very retruded chin, then surgery most likely will help. But if your face is already in 'harmony' but lacks 'something' here and there though doesn't have a big flaw, that's when surgery becomes tricky and most of these people get worse from surgery. Lazlo is right when he talks about these older people having done surgery. Not one of them looks better. Not a single one of them, men or women. I guess when you're too old for this stuff, it's really over. Nothing you can do about it.

I saw a movie a couple of months ago with Russell Crow and Tom Cruise. clCruise is two years older but looked way better than Crow, who looked like a really old man. Now, you can say 'Tom Cruise does all kind of PS', but I think he only does small stuff like chemical peeling, maybe some botox. His ageing genetics are just fantastic. Crow looked good when he were younger, but obviously has way worse ageing genetics. That's just luck, you can't fix it with PS, despite all the advertisement from surgeons. PS for ageing is pure scam. There's not a single Hollywood actrees or actor, with all their money, that looks younger after PS. They all look fake, that's for sure.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:19 AM »
Most people on this site and also on Lookism aren't ugly. Some are good looking. Also, most incels for example, aren't ugly, mostly they are just above average. And that's the problem. If you come from far or you have a really big flaw in one part of the face, like a very retruded chin, then surgery most likely will help. But if your face is already in 'harmony' but lacks 'something' here and there though doesn't have a big flaw, that's when surgery becomes tricky and most of these people get worse from surgery. Lazlo is right when he talks about these older people having done surgery. Not one of them looks better. Not a single one of them, men or women. I guess when you're too old for this stuff, it's really over. Nothing you can do about it.

I saw a movie a couple of months ago with Russell Crow and Tom Cruise. clCruise is two years older but looked way better than Crow, who looked like a really old man. Now, you can say 'Tom Cruise does all kind of PS', but I think he only does small stuff like chemical peeling, maybe some botox. His ageing genetics are just fantastic. Crow looked good when he were younger, but obviously has way worse ageing genetics. That's just luck, you can't fix it with PS, despite all the advertisement from surgeons. PS for ageing is pure scam. There's not a single Hollywood actrees or actor, with all their money, that looks younger after PS. They all look fake, that's for sure.

I’ve seen several examples of older people achieving a good aesthetic result. There was an older lady on this board who had a great result with Alfaro.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:18:09 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 08:34:28 AM »

TBH, I'm not really familiar enough his work....not enough to ponder the extrapolations applicable to creating human perfection in the venue of beauty that you like to make. Just enough to have read it has capacity to edit out stuff like HIV from babies to be born, extend life span, and implant genes of extinct woolly mammoth to modern elephant and most importantly (which does NOT seem to be the direction you're wanting) is that he could clone a NEANDERTHAL baby.

ETA:

I would not jump the conclusions you would like to make from his work as to it going in the direction of perfecting human beauty.

SPIEGEL: Could you also stop the procedure halfway through and build a 50-percent Neanderthal using this technology.

Church: You could and you might. It could even be that you want just a few mutations from the Neanderthal genome. Suppose you were to realize: Wow, these five mutations might change the neuronal pathways, the skull size, a few key things. They could give us what we want in terms of neural diversity. I doubt that we are going to particularly care about their facial morphology, though (laughs).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:59:21 AM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »
I’ve seen several examples of older people achieving a good aesthetic result. There was an older lady on this board who had a great result.

With  Alfaro? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:17:12 PM by kavan »

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
With Alfaro? 

You might be right about that. I searched briefly for the thread but couldn’t remember where it was. Either way, it’s not true that older folks never get an aesthetic result. As I recall she was extremely happy with both her cosmetic and functional improvements.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:17:39 PM by kavan »

ben from UK

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 02:00:19 PM »
I’ve seen several examples of older people achieving a good aesthetic result. There was an older lady on this board who had a great result .

Compared to 99 percent that look way worse. I also see results from people that show me their results and are satisfied while they look worse or I see no difference. The human brain has the capacity to make someone believe the results of the procedures are good. It's just another cope of the human brain.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:14:43 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »
You might be right about that. I searched briefly for the thread but couldn’t remember where it was. Either way, it’s not true that older folks never get an aesthetic result. As I recall she was extremely happy with both her cosmetic and functional improvements.

Was her screen name; 'Langpam' and was this her video?
https://vimeo.com/256391377

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:19:14 PM by kavan »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
Thanks for your insights kavan as well as jusken, and ben.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Was her screen name; 'Langpam' and was this her video?
https://vimeo.com/256391377

Yeah, it was Langpam. I see her posts in the ‘overbite’ section now. It’s also one of the best results I’ve ever seen for a patient of any age.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:20:08 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Yeah, it was Langpam. I see her posts in the ‘overbite’ section now.  It’s also one of the best results I’ve ever seen for a patient of any age.

OK. I just need to edit the posts .

ETA: postbimax, I edited the posts.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »
OK. I just need to edit the posts .

ETA: postbimax, I edited the posts.

I saw her result before. Wow it's so heartening to see someone who actually came out happy and with a clearly great result.

I have so many questions about someone getting that done at her age.

How did she go through the orthodontic treatment? Her teeth look fine and her papilla look present. Or did Alfaro do a surgery first approach with her?

I think I asked her about whether she had any numbness and she evaded the question saying something like I love my results I don't care about that. But I forget.

Some people are just really lucky with surgery. I'd say more often than not you end up with lifelong complications. I'm really coming down to that view. I need a revision for sure. But the things I need like expansion of the upper jaw and somehow making more space for the tongue --I don't know if there are surgeons who know how to do it.