Author Topic: Deciding on which surgery  (Read 564 times)

Keknek

Deciding on which surgery
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
Surgery is very complicated, naturally because of the permanence and possible side effects of the procedure. One thing I am wondering is, how should one decide what specific procedure of jaw surgery is needed in order to produce the best result.

How did you people decide on your procedures? Via the advice of an orthodontist, this forum, that of a surgeon? Or even yourself via researching surgery, side effects, using ratings by others and your X-rays as a result?

I know that I require jaw surgery, but I am at a loss of where to begin. I have only the faintest ideas of what surgery I would need and why - primarily due to a lack of knowledge on the topic. I am not even effectively able to diagnose the causes of my issues - a recessed chin, maxilla, small palate, etc. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Deciding on which surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:50:57 PM »
If you know you require jaw surgery, you probably already have a pretty good idea of what issues your having.

The best starting point is to consult with a surgeon, tell him about your issues and ask what he suggests. Surgeons are experts in this field, so you don't have to be.

On my own case, I did all of the things you mentioned. Consulted with more than one surgeon and concluded I got consistent approaches. I discussed on this forum and educated myself. And also asked more than one orthodontist.

If you want opinions from people on the board, you need to post pictures.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Deciding on which surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
There's no way any post on here is going to transfer to you knowledge enough so that you 'know' how to decide what specific surgery you need.

Other people looking for feedback on what surgery they MIGHT need, simply post a profile photo.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.