Author Topic: Problems 5 weeks post op from double jaw advancement  (Read 675 times)

fresh-double-jaw

Problems 5 weeks post op from double jaw advancement
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
Hi All,

I had both my upper and lower jaw advanced 5 weeks ago now.   I did this late , at 50 years old to fix a really bad breathing problem at night.

I'm having a terrible time adjusting and just wander how unusual some of my issues are.  Do any of these sound familiar or unusual ? I am trying to find previous threads too.

1) I was unable to open my jaw after they took my wires and rubber bands off.  I can still barely open it enough to get my tongue through my teeth.    How long has it taken others to be able to fully open your mouths again ?

2)  My upper jaw teeth are completely numb and it feels like I have dentures.  It feels like someone elses teeth are in my mouth and it makes it very hard to talk.   I read about all sorts of different numbness and I expected it, but not to my teeth.  Has anyone felt this and does it come back ?

3)  I have porcelain vaneers on many teeth and some of them are missing.  I wanted to do them after the surgery, not before.   WHen is it safe to do work like vaneers and crowns, cleanings, or even extractions ?

4) I was misled a bit on the recovery time to start eating again and trying to reset my expactations for normal jaw functions and eating.    Is there some documented numbers for liquid diet, soft food and than normal food ?   I'm still on liquid diet at 6 weeks.

5) Does anyone feel like your upper jaw was put into the wrong spot ?   Im almost certain the center of my jaw is off noticeably by a few millimeters.  I can not only see it by looking at the crease on my upper lip and the middle of my upper teeth but I can physically feel it.   

6) Has anyone had double jaw advanced and NOT had braces before and after ?  I had braces as a young man but not again before and after surgery.  Is this stupid to do ?

Sorry many questions and I will look more through the hiusotry.

Thanks
YogaDiver

PloskoPlus

Re: Problems 5 weeks post op from double jaw advancement
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
Numb teeth is quite normal.  Feeling should come back within 18 months, although they may still feel "wooden" and not quite the same as before surgery.  Braces give the surgeon way more control during surgery.  Your midlines may be fixed orthodontically, maybe not.   How is your bite?  What movements did you have?

Regarding diet - it varies from surgeon to surgeon.  Euro surgeons tend to get the patient back onto a normal diet ASAP. US surgeons, especially those that do downgrafts and CCW rotations, prefer to have you on a liquid diet for much longer and a soft diet for as long as 6 months to prevent relapse.  The osteotomy site is healed at 4 months and is completely healed 9-12 months post op.

fresh-double-jaw

Re: Problems 5 weeks post op from double jaw advancement
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
Thanks.  I had both upper and lower moved a10mm (a full centimeter).  My bite is not so great but it wasn't perfect beforehand.  I am missing some veneers critical to my bite but didnt want to get them done until after the surgery.   My bite seems aligned but some teeth are hitting too early and seem like they need to be slight ground down.