Author Topic: Mandibular advancement with bilateral tmj joint replacements  (Read 2212 times)

Fowler

Hello

I will be having bilateral tmj joint replacements fitted. They will be custom made, pushing the mandible forward to give
me a class 1 appearance.
This won't be for a while as I havent had my braces fitted yet.  Anyone on here had a similar procedure done. Mine will be by the NHS in the UK.

Meefly

Re: Mandibular advancement with bilateral tmj joint replacements
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
Good luck with the procedure. What was the issue with your TMJ to warrant bilateral replacements?

Fowler

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
Ankylosis of the left tmj which put pressure on my right tmj. The bony spur was removed from the left tmj but it grew back. 2nd time they removed my whole condoyle which has resulted in osteoarthritis in my right tmj. So having replacement joints as well as having my mandible brought forward. 
Thought they would actually look to break the jaw and realign but looks like he will just be advancing my face with the custom implants.

Fowler

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes Meefly.

Lefortitude

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:07 AM »
holy crap that must have been really difficult.  I dont know anyone who has had such a surgery but you sound like you have nowhere to go but up. Hope it all works out for you keep us posted.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
I think you'll be the first person here who has ever had this done. Let us know how it goes, and good luck.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
There are two facebook groups that are solely for joint replacement patients. I dont know if its proper to post the links here. Make sure you get metal sensitivity tested before you proceed. If i am permitted to post the links, let me know. All the best to you, this is major major surgery as no implant truly mimics the complex function of the jaw joint.

Fowler

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 05:54:05 AM »
Hello

Dug out this topic again.  Because it's on the NHS, things have taken an age.  Got my braces on and wouldn't have been too far away from surgery before COVID-19 hit, so obviously everything has been delayed. 
Appreciate this is an old topic but when things start moving again, I'll update the forum as it could assist somebody in the future.

ForeignCartographer

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 03:23:34 PM »
Hey, any news?