Author Topic: Am I still in crossbite?  (Read 10954 times)

ODog

Re: Am I still in crossbite?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
Surgeons typically have a get-out clause of relapse. "It was all great when we finished surgery, but the patient relapsed, and we have no control over that."

Well I  saw him this past Friday and he didn’t mention anything about relapse or any problem with the bite. I don’t think it’s reasonable to use relapse as a defence at this point unless he can prove it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:53:07 PM by ODog »

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »
Be vocal and voice your concerns (politely of course) with your surgeon. He might be the type that wants to sweep under the rug any post op problems and just ignore those patients. Bring notes to your next appointment so you don't forget to bring up all your concerns.

ODog

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
Be vocal and voice your concerns (politely of course) with your surgeon. He might be the type that wants to sweep under the rug any post op problems and just ignore those patients. Bring notes to your next appointment so you don't forget to bring up all your concerns.

He’ll just say that orthodontics will fix it.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
Record your appointments on your phone. It has little legal value, but it helps to keep the surgeon honest.

ODog

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2019, 06:04:50 PM »
Record your appointments on your phone. It has little legal value, but it helps to keep the surgeon honest.

I’ll do that. Thanks.

CCW

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 02:15:48 AM »
He’ll just say that orthodontics will fix it.
Dental widening isn't stable in adults, though.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 05:42:28 AM »

That's illegal some places unless you get consent.
Check your local laws first.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ODog

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
I honestly can’t believe I need to go through another surgery omg. I really shouldn’t have to pay a dime for this.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »
Did you check your bite straight after surgery and what it looked like shortly after waking up? The goal with the surgery should be to leave the operating room with no cross bite and perfect occlusion. Perfect is an utopia, but that's the anticipation. Not to leave malclusion to be fixed with orthodontics. That's kind of why you go to a surgeon.

ODog

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
Did you check your bite straight after surgery and what it looked like shortly after waking up? The goal with the surgery should be to leave the operating room with no cross bite and perfect occlusion. Perfect is an utopia, but that's the anticipation. Not to leave malclusion to be fixed with orthodontics. That's kind of why you go to a surgeon.

Nah I couldn’t see my bite until my splint came off 2 weeks after. It didn’t relapse it looks the same as it did week 2.

ODog

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

This is not really about perfect occlusion this is about failing to provide good enough occlusion given the circumstances. At the very least one would expect the upper jawbone to be wider than the lower after surgery, even if the overlap isn’t perfect. I am still in crossbite, it’s a head scratcher.

ODog

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
I guess the positive side is the revision would be very straightforward and the recovery won’t be as intense as tri-max??

I am seriously considering litigation, especially if I don’t get a free revision.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:48 AM »
This is not really about perfect occlusion this is about failing to provide good enough occlusion given the circumstances. At the very least one would expect the upper jawbone to be wider than the lower after surgery, even if the overlap isn’t perfect. I am still in crossbite, it’s a head scratcher.

I agree, I was just trying to figure out what had gone wrong. I don't understand why a surgeon would act like this and not be honest about the problem. This is the reason why people freak out about jaw surgery. In a case like yours when everyone in here agree it's a cross bite, why would a surgeon say something else. The worst part is not the outcome, but the fight and struggle if everyone act like it doesn't exist. I've been in this situation many times and it's ridicilous sitting in front of an orthodontist, pointing at something obvious and don't get anything more from the conversation than you would've got from discussing it with your dog. I agree with you, the revision should be no problem. Just agree on the problem and a plan.

I honestly don't understand why some people work in this field, don't they want to do good?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 06:19:29 AM »
I honestly don't understand why some people work in this field, don't they want to do good?

They want a nice house.

Why do you think revision should be easy, though?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 07:18:11 AM »
Why do you think revision should be easy, though?

Maybe I use easy in the wrong word. I think every surgery should be easy, in a context that it's mostly about defining and agreeing that you see the same problem, and then have a good discussion about what can be done and achieved. Surgeons aren't magicians, they're mechanics that can advice what is possible and then execute it. Very straight forward and easy. Problem is that surgeons and orthodontist often want to portray them self as magicians and that they perform stuff that can't be explained. Thus leaving someone with a crossbite without explaining why and denying it.