General Category > Aesthetics

Thoughts on this BiMax?

<< < (2/6) > >>

IconVillage:
Is intermandibular distraction osteogenesis only for overbites?

valhalar:

--- Quote from: IconVillage on May 20, 2019, 05:48:12 PM ---Is intermandibular distraction osteogenesis only for overbites?

--- End quote ---

I would assume so since it has the word mandible in it. According to the Profilo Surgical website IMDO is for fixing a small lower jaw and overbites.

IconVillage:

--- Quote from: valhalar on May 20, 2019, 06:16:13 PM ---I would assume so since it has the word mandible in it. According to the Profilo Surgical website IMDO is for fixing a small lower jaw and overbites.

--- End quote ---

But what if you just have one of the two (small lower jaw), would be a much less invasive surgery than BSSO if I'm reading correctly.

valhalar:

--- Quote from: IconVillage on May 20, 2019, 06:18:50 PM ---But what if you just have one of the two (small lower jaw), would be a much less invasive surgery than BSSO if I'm reading correctly.

--- End quote ---

Some people on here have argued that if you only need a lower jaw surgery, then BSSO is better because you do the surgery once. IMDO requires a surgery, then turning the intermandibular distraction each day, and then another surgery to take the appliances out. However many adults with small lower jaws will require a jaw extension coupled with a genioplasty. IMDO is suitable because you could potentially do the genioplasty upon removal of the distraction device... I am not quite sure if there is another wait period however.

An example is shown here: https://www.instagram.com/p/66MRpXnEtw/

12mm of advancement with IMDO, followed by 10mm of advancement with a geniopaully (It's a genioplasty - this doctors version of it).

valhalar:
By the way, here's another picture of the patient 'super' bimax from the video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwK5S5PHFMc/

Has his nasal bridge sunk between the first and second image, or would that be from rhinoplasty? I understand upper jaw surgery can pull the bridge down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version