Author Topic: Can you shave down/trim implants without taking them out?  (Read 1165 times)

ben from UK

Can you shave down/trim implants without taking them out?
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
I had PEEK wrap around implants but they're slightly too big for my face/phenotype. Rather than undergo an extensive surgery with renewed implants I would rather find someone who can shave them won, for example through a risdon (external) approach to avoid infection, especially at the jaw area. 

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Can you shave down/trim implants without taking them out?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
Not sure about shaving PEEK but I know medpore can be shaved. Did you ask the doctor who put them in?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ben from UK

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 04:10:30 AM »
Not sure about shaving PEEK but I know medpore can be shaved. Did you ask the doctor who put them in?

Appearantly it can be shaved after research. It's hard material with no integration of soft tissue. What would be the inconvenience, Kavan (except from scar tissue etc.) by doing it from an external approach? More or less precision?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
Appearantly it can be shaved after research. It's hard material with no integration of soft tissue. What would be the inconvenience, Kavan (except from scar tissue etc.) by doing it from an external approach? More or less precision?

Might be a matter of how many times you had surgery to same area, did it, didn't like it and then un-did it. Inconvenience could be 'always being on the wrong side of the door'.

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:03:13 PM »
Might be a matter of how many times you had surgery to same area, did it, didn't like it and then un-did it. Inconvenience could be 'always being on the wrong side of the door'.

Yeah, true. But technically, would it be easier to shave through a risdon approach?

Lestat

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
Might be a matter of how many times you had surgery to same area

Can somebody please explain to me what is the big issue about scar tissue?

F.e. I have heard that a zso can be done twice without any problems. Is this true or false?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 05:57:17 PM »
Yeah, true. But technically, would it be easier to shave through a risdon approach?

The phrase, 'always on the wrong side of door' refers to possibility that no matter how many times you get revised, you might not like it as in being on REVISION TREADMILL. Doesn't matter what's easier technically. What matters is that the outcome might not be what ever aesthetic that's in your mind's eye.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:13 PM »
Can I ask who did your implants?