Author Topic: Orbital decompression effect on PFL?  (Read 973 times)

MouthBreathingRuinedMe

Orbital decompression effect on PFL?
« on: July 21, 2019, 04:14:24 AM »
Hello,

I have decent IPD and PFL, my only problem is that my eyes are not deepset enough thus the support around my orbits is medicore.
Now I thought about getting orbital decompression as It would improve the support all around, but now there is only one question left.

Would orbital decompression affect my PFL?

As I have quite wide IPD , any further reduction of PFL would make eyes look a lot worse.

Thanks in advance guys!

fulcanelli

• Private
Re: Orbital decompression effect on PFL?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
What do the abbreviations mean?

MouthBreathingRuinedMe

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
IPD = interpupillary distance = eye distance
PFL = Palpebral fissure length = horizontal eye length

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
I think it would tend to decrease the
the PFL.  Here's why: With aging the eyeballs sink more into the sockets because the sockets become more spacious and with that the PFL decreases.  The eyes look SMALLER.   Orbital decompression is best for people with BUG EYES. It isn't something for people who's eyes are 'not deep set enough'.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

lookism

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
orbital decompression makes sense if your eyes are not only bulging relative to the infraorbital rims but also to the supraorbital rims (browridge)

saw a lot of guys who had poor under eye support and but a strong browridge (looked a bit like the frankensteinmonster) - those people suffer from midface deficiency and wouldnt profit from orbital decompression

MouthBreathingRuinedMe

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:02:32 AM »
I think it would tend to decrease the
the PFL.  Here's why: With aging the eyeballs sink more into the sockets because the sockets become more spacious and with that the PFL decreases.  The eyes look SMALLER.   Orbital decompression is best for people with BUG EYES. It isn't something for people who's eyes are 'not deep set enough'.

Do they really get deeper set with age though?

I always thought the orbit just becomes more spacious in terms of vertical height but not horizontally deeper, am I wrong?

Do the eyes not become smaller because of the skin sagging which comes with aging?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:36:58 AM »
Do they really get deeper set with age though?

I always thought the orbit just becomes more spacious in terms of vertical height but not horizontally deeper, am I wrong?

Do the eyes not become smaller because of the skin sagging which comes with aging?

They can recede into the orbit more with age because with aging/bone loss the orbit HOLE has more internal space. When a HOLE gets BIGGER, the deeper something can fall into it. That is the salient concept.

If you had ever observed that older people who get blephs and other surgeries to address sagging skin have smaller eyes than they had in youth it would have become more intuitively obvious whether or not sagging skin was key culprit at play.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.