Author Topic: nervous didn't make the right decision - how to deal with it?  (Read 2726 times)

beautyislife

nervous didn't make the right decision - how to deal with it?
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
I have surgery scheduled with Dr.Gunson. As you can see from my previous posts, I have seen a few surgeons (Alfaro, Raffaini, Z)

I just feel like I made a bad choice especially when reviewing Raffaini's results. I'm unsure how to get over that feeling, especially if my results don't turn out well.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: nervous didn't make the right decision - how to deal with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »
Gunson is not a bad choice. Unfortunately no surgeon have a 100% success rate, that's part of why it's a s**tty situation getting into jaw surgery. There is always a risk. Gunson write papers on how to optimise aesthetics and function that is respected all over the world, and he perform all the advanced movements. Comparing who is the best among top surgeons make little sense, they all have some results that are more impressing than others.

Not sure what kind of response you expect. Change surgeon  if you feel strongly about it, but how would you handle if you do and don't like the result you get? Go back to Gunson? At some point you just have to go and trust your decision, when you've come that far.

ben from UK

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
If it doesn't turn out well, you just do a revision until you get it right. Revision is not the end of the world, many do revisions, sometimes more than once.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
If it doesn't turn out well, you just do a revision until you get it right. Revision is not the end of the world, many do revisions, sometimes more than once.

It's mentally draining not being able to get a satisfying result and everyone wants to do all they can to not get in such loop.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »
Rafainni and Alfaro also make mistakes. That’s the nature of the business. Poor results are amplified whereas successes are often never heard from again.

No surgeon is perfect, but Gunson has done much to maintain the A&G reputation. If your result is poor, it’s not for lack of a qualified surgeon.

Lefortitude

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
I applaud you for having the courage to make the decision in the first place in light of the current negative publicity hes receiving online.  You have to really put into perspective whats going on here:

1) You're booked with one of the best surgeons in the world.
2) You're already partway through the ortho which is very specific and particular to him. 
3) There is no 100% success rate surgeon
4) You have done 100% due diligence in selecting a surgeon by seeing all the top surgeons
5) There's nothing more to be done but move forward.

Use statistics and logic to see chances are HEAVILY in your favor and tune out the emotional noise.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
Pretty much what the guy above said.

At some point you have to relinquish control and let the universe dictate your fate.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

beautyislife

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 06:55:04 AM »
Well, I really do not want to re-do surgery.
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I will post back once my surgery is complete.

Dogmatix

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
Well, I really do not want to re-do surgery.
Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I will post back once my surgery is complete.

When is your surgery?

ben from UK

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
It's mentally draining not being able to get a satisfying result and everyone wants to do all they can to not get in such loop.

Yes, I know, but you cannot exclude this. Life is a struggle until you win.

some1afterall

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »
Even the best surgeons don't get good results 100% of the time, and at the end of the day they are people, just like you and me. Gunson has had some bad publicity lately for his subpar results on double jaw surgery to a patient over the age of 50. He's also had some bad publicity for his unprofessionalism in dealing with the aftermath of said patient. I've been on the fence about getting revision surgery for the last 3 years, and Gunson has been at the top of my list. I've hesitated because it's a huge investment, +/-$100k when including orthodontics, hospital fees, etc. and there are no guarantees.

If you've done your due diligence and your path has lead you to Gunson then I'm sure it's with good cause.

Can I ask how old you are?

beautyislife

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
Even the best surgeons don't get good results 100% of the time, and at the end of the day they are people, just like you and me. Gunson has had some bad publicity lately for his subpar results on double jaw surgery to a patient over the age of 50. He's also had some bad publicity for his unprofessionalism in dealing with the aftermath of said patient. I've been on the fence about getting revision surgery for the last 3 years, and Gunson has been at the top of my list. I've hesitated because it's a huge investment, +/-$100k when including orthodontics, hospital fees, etc. and there are no guarantees.

If you've done your due diligence and your path has lead you to Gunson then I'm sure it's with good cause.

Can I ask how old you are?

I'm in my mid 20s. I suppose now only time will tell.