Author Topic: What does a Chin Wing Osteotomy do vs a Traditional Genio?  (Read 5020 times)

StudyHacks

What does a Chin Wing Osteotomy do vs a Traditional Genio?
« on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
Sorry this is a stupid question but no google search has answered this question yet. Can anyone please tell me?

Daedalus

Re: What does a Chin Wing Osteotomy do vs a Traditional Genio?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »
Chin wing rotates and moves your chin and a lower portion of the mandible without moving the teeth. A genioplasty on the other hand, provides only the movement of the chin.

StudyHacks

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 12:41:24 AM »
By lower portion of the mandible you mean the gonial angles?

Daedalus

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:56:48 AM »
It can indeed create an illusion of a sharper gonial angle. The whole idea behind this procedure is to make lower half more define and robust through angulation.  See attachment below.

ben from UK

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 05:28:24 AM »
The theory behind cw is: by lowering the lower mandible border, it could create more jawangle than before, for example if you have a very steep jawangle. Sometimes they combine cw with horizontal movement of the jaw border, but this is more tricky, cause doing this depends on bone elasticity and sometimes it can go wrong.

StudyHacks

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 07:41:38 AM »
Where's the lower mandibular border?

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 07:44:14 AM »

Honestly are you f**king blind

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »

az Isten faszán.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ben from UK

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 02:47:07 AM »
See pic.

If it succeeds, the result can be nice and natural. But there are dangers like asymmetry. You really need a very very good surgeon with lots of experience to do it right. Even then, things can go wrong.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 04:24:37 AM »
See pic.

If it succeeds, the result can be nice and natural. But there are dangers like asymmetry. You really need a very very good surgeon with lots of experience to do it right. Even then, things can go wrong.
Looks like a jaw surgery case. Terrible lip posture.

StudyHacks

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 06:10:30 AM »
Oh I see, so basically its main purpose is to lower the gonial angle? Coz that's the difference I can see

az Isten faszán.
Are you Hungarian or did you use google translate for that?  ;D

ben from UK

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 06:33:53 AM »
Oh I see, so basically its main purpose is to lower the gonial angle? Coz that's the difference I can see

Yes, but lowering the back of the jaw can give the face a broader jaw (from the front), or at least that perception. Because the golonial angle will be placed lower, so it will be more square instead of for example triangle or oval (at least that's the idea and goal behind it).

If you want additional horizontal augmentation, sometimes they push part of the lower jaw bone to the exterior along with the normal chinwing. This is what Stupidjaws did (and he also did boneshaving) but it's a tricky procedure cause you don't know how much bone elasticity you have. If the bone breaks into pieces during surgery you'll need implants to fix the lack of jawangles (which is an additional procedure, more scar tissue, additional costs, anxiety, depression, etc.). Also, it's more prone to asymmetrical results, especially if your face is already asymmetrical. And of course there are the usual other risks like resorbtion of the graft that is used (usually hipgraft) to fill the 'gaps' and damage of the nerve. The younger you are, the better the chances of having small or no complications.

Yeah true

StudyHacks

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
Yes, but lowering the back of the jaw can give the face a broader jaw (from the front), or at least that perception. Because the golonial angle will be placed lower, so it will be more square instead of for example triangle or oval (at least that's the idea and goal behind it).

If you want additional horizontal augmentation, sometimes they push part of the lower jaw bone to the exterior along with the normal chinwing. This is what Stupidjaws did (and he also did boneshaving) but it's a tricky procedure cause you don't know how much bone elasticity you have. If the bone breaks into pieces during surgery you'll need implants to fix the lack of jawangles (which is an additional procedure, more scar tissue, additional costs, anxiety, depression, etc.). Also, it's more prone to asymmetrical results, especially if your face is already asymmetrical. And of course there are the usual other risks like resorbtion of the graft that is used (usually hipgraft) to fill the 'gaps' and damage of the nerve. The younger you are, the better the chances of having small or no complications.

Yeah true
Is Brusco a good surgeon for that? Or Triaca? Would they mess up my chinwing?

https://imgur.com/a/yDP0EKd

If I not only want a wider (from the front) but a "longer" mandible and maxilla (more forward projected as mines are recessed), should I go with a bimax or rather something like chinwing+boneshaving+chin implant with 6-7mm chin projection?

ben from UK

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »
Is Brusco a good surgeon for that? Or Triaca? Would they mess up my chinwing?

https://imgur.com/a/yDP0EKd

If I not only want a wider (from the front) but a "longer" mandible and maxilla (more forward projected as mines are recessed), should I go with a bimax or rather something like chinwing+boneshaving+chin implant with 6-7mm chin projection?

I don't think you need cw. Your golonial angle seems ok.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »

Are you Hungarian or did you use google translate for that?  ;D

Ősi római szobor vagyok a Scarbantia-ból.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.