Author Topic: it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio  (Read 3528 times)

some1afterall

it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:38:36 PM »
Hey guys! I know some of you don't like my online presence, sorry to disappoint, I'm going to take advantage of my freedom of speech. It's been over 3 years since I had DJS, lefort 1 and BSSO with O'Ryan at Kaiser Oakland. I had a genioplasty 3/17, hated it, and had Dr Gusnon remove the hardware, just recently. I feel like the whole jaw surgery obsession comes in waves - the concern never leaves me entirely - but sometimes I care less and sometimes I care more. I think this is what happens when you have a jaw surgery that has less than optimal results and it affects your whole world and self esteem. I consulted with Gunsom, Deschamps Braly, Karas, and Jamali for revision. To this point I'm haven't been sold on the cost vs benefit of revision surgery.

I have about a 10mm lip incompetence with relaxed mouth. I have intermittent moderate TMJ pain, sometimes I sleep with a splint. My nose widened slightly with jaw surgery. My maxilla is recessed, I have little upper lip support.

Should I look to Europe? Now I'm reading more about European surgeons.....

Any comments?

https://imgur.com/moMLhwG

https://imgur.com/Gg6jijN

https://imgur.com/oirSBsN

Lefortitude

Re: it's been a while, aftermath DJS, genio
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 06:07:08 AM »
yeah kaiser oakland f**ked up.  This isnt the first time either.

what did gunson say?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
I think you look nice now. I saw your before pictures. I think you look better now.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:57:04 PM »
Are those pictures all after?

O'Ryan is a really bad surgeon. She left Ashley in a lurch.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »
I'm a (straight) woman so my opinion probably does not count, but personally I think you look nice as you are now. If this was me, I would try lip fillers, especially for your upper lip. I have not tried these yet but some of my friends use them and nowadays they are really natural looking, not like they used to be. I think it's worth a try.

I hope you don't mind me saying, I read some of your previous posts and you mentioned something to the effect that you used to get more attention from guys before your surgery. I am not trying to 'victim blame' here, but just wondering if that perhaps has less to do with your looks and more with the fact you felt more comfortable about yourself before the surgery? What I mean is, I really noticed that the amount of attention I get depends mostly on my mood / the vibe I give off. So I wonder if it's possible that you 'objectively' look nice by most people's standards as you are now, but you get different reactions because you do not feel good about yourself - I do not know if I am making sense here.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »
Aesthetically I think you look pretty good, although idk what you looked like pre-op. A revision might be worth it for the lip incompetence though.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »
A revision might be worth it for the lip incompetence though.

Can they really resolve that with jaw surgery alone? I also have lip incompetence (way worse than what I can see in these photos) and was told that that's a soft tissue thing and I will probably still have it after jaw surgery. In fact, I saw super scary pictures of people with lip incompetence that ended up showing lower teeth instead of upper teeth after surgery - one of the many reasons the surgery scares me.

april

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:59:55 AM »
Some1, I think you look good in these pics too. How about with lips closed? Do you have dimpling?
I saw your old profile and you for sure improved. You still have a big smile with great tooth show too.

ghiggson90

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 07:31:51 AM »
I'm a (straight) woman so my opinion probably does not count, but personally I think you look nice as you are now. If this was me, I would try lip fillers, especially for your upper lip. I have not tried these yet but some of my friends use them and nowadays they are really natural looking, not like they used to be. I think it's worth a try.

I hope you don't mind me saying, I read some of your previous posts and you mentioned something to the effect that you used to get more attention from guys before your surgery. I am not trying to 'victim blame' here, but just wondering if that perhaps has less to do with your looks and more with the fact you felt more comfortable about yourself before the surgery? What I mean is, I really noticed that the amount of attention I get depends mostly on my mood / the vibe I give off. So I wonder if it's possible that you 'objectively' look nice by most people's standards as you are now, but you get different reactions because you do not feel good about yourself - I do not know if I am making sense here.

I agree with this 100%.

I think you look good. Chin is great, incisor display is great, smile is nice and symmetrical. Reducing lip incompetence with impaction will come at the expense of tooth show, which would not be good. Advancement will make lip seal more difficult, perhaps why Gunson is proposing a chin reduction (which I don't think is a good look either).

ben from UK

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »
There doesn't seem to be a maxilla recession. The jaw and chin don't look bad. They're quite okay imo. Your lips seem to be good, apart from the lip incompetence, but it's not very visible on the pics.

The flaws I see, based on the second and third pic:

- recessed upper cheekbones
- nose is convex. It might be your nose changed due to the surgery and maybe that's why you have less attention from men. It's not a very bad nose but it's not ideal (see attached pic).
- nasolabial fold

There seems to be a little bit of angularity missing at the jawarea, but the front is the most important and that looks okay.  It's really not a big flaw.

Overall, you look okay tbh.

Note: I will delete the morph if you want.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »
Your nose gives your face character. A straight one looks no better.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »
In fact, I saw super scary pictures of people with lip incompetence that ended up showing lower teeth instead of upper teeth after surgery - one of the many reasons the surgery scares me.

I've never been able to pinpoint the cause of that. I think it's (a) over impaction and/or (b) vertical genio or just a poor genio pulling down the lip.

But I'm not sure. It's a horrible look. I feel so bad for anyone who has that outcome as it ages them about 50 years.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ben from UK

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
She clearly has a recession in the upper middle part of the face. She experienced less attention from men. This is never something imagined, never a mental thing (despite people saying otherwise). It's her true life experience and should be taken seriously. She talks about her nose changing (becoming wider) after jaw surgery. This could have an impact on looks, even the slightest change (beauty is about millimeters).

Saying things like 'you look fine/good' aren't helpfull whatsoever. She posted before and was unhappy and still is unhappy and her life is clearly miserable because she's unhappy with parts of her face. Now, I won't say that she'll be happy with another surgery, but if the outcome is better than it is now, it might help her feel more confident.

I just don't agree with her judgement about bad jaw and chin. But this is no surprise. It's very difficult to pinpoint your own flaws (it's easier to pinpoint other people's flaws), it happens all the time: there's an overall dissatisfaction with the face and the person thinks the flaw lies somewhere while in reality it's another part of the face. I think you have a great maxilla, great teeth, great lips, good jaw and chin. That's my opinion. Now it could be I just don't see it on these particular pics. Pics can be disturbing.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Lip incompetence (strain when trying to close lips) can be from a variety of factors including but probably not limited to things like vertical maxillary excess, bucked out front upper teeth, anterior open bite, short upper lip, recessive chin, protrusive chin, chin too long. Those factors can be in combination--like someone having more than one of them--or an isolated factor can be pinpointed.

A common culprit, whether it be isolated as key culprit or it be in combination with other factors, is the CHIN. It's due to the mentalis muscle (muscle that allows you to move lower lip upward) being in an inefficient orientation which in turn is due to orientation of the chin bone. Basically, mechanical efficency of the mentalis muscle  being easily able to move the lower lip VERTICALLY upward has to do with the SHORTEST distance to do that. The strain--and is a type of MECHANICAL inefficency--has to do when movement of the lower lip verticaly upward has to travel a LONG distance. Long distances can be DIAGONAL orientations when the chin is either too far backwards or too far forwards or they can be when the chin is too vertically long. Hence the chin bone, via a type of genioplasty would have to be displaced/reoriented with reference/goal to increase the mechanical efficiency of the mentalis muscle. That is the basic CONCEPT.

With regard to chin surgeries, how to do-- like whether to do incision from inside mouth or below chin--is different issue.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 10:32:17 AM »
She clearly has a recession in the upper middle part of the face. She experienced less attention from men. This is never something imagined, never a mental thing (despite people saying otherwise). It's her true life experience and should be taken seriously. She talks about her nose changing (becoming wider) after jaw surgery. This could have an impact on looks, even the slightest change (beauty is about millimeters).

Saying things like 'you look fine/good' aren't helpfull whatsoever. She posted before and was unhappy and still is unhappy and her life is clearly miserable because she's unhappy with parts of her face. Now, I won't say that she'll be happy with another surgery, but if the outcome is better than it is now, it might help her feel more confident.

I just don't agree with her judgement about bad jaw and chin. But this is no surprise. It's very difficult to pinpoint your own flaws (it's easier to pinpoint other people's flaws), it happens all the time: there's an overall dissatisfaction with the face and the person thinks the flaw lies somewhere while in reality it's another part of the face. I think you have a great maxilla, great teeth, great lips, good jaw and chin. That's my opinion. Now it could be I just don't see it on these particular pics. Pics can be disturbing.

Self-reporting one's lived experience is ABSOLUTELY subject to bias and can very much be a 'mental' thing.  All of our experiences are filtered through our own state of mind.  If she was internally unhappy with her result, her perceptions of 'male interest' will be subject to that same pessimism.  The point is that she looks GOOD now, and members who have seen her before pics say she looks BETTER than before.