Author Topic: What can cephs reveal?  (Read 1752 times)

pleaseApproveOfMe

What can cephs reveal?
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:26:58 AM »
When people are looking for advice on this forum, they usually post their cephs. I recently went to a maxiofacial PS for a consultation, and I asked for a ceph of the mandible area just so that I can get more opinions on what I can do to improve. But the surgeon said that they don't do it in the office as they don't reveal much.

Was he correct? Or is it possible for a surgeon to look at a ceph and know what's 'wrong' in the person's bone structure? I'm wondering if I should make a consultation with another place, and ensure ahead of time they can take a ceph for me.

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: What can cephs reveal?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
You say it was a plastic surgeon. Were you consulting for implant or genio only, or for orthognatic surgery?
Orthognatic surgery surely need a ceph, or maybe cbct alone is enough. But surely an x-ray.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
A 'maxfax PLASTIC SURGEON': This could mean someone who started with a maxfax background and went on to get a qualification in PS or the other way around. It could also mean the surgeon with a maxfax background has elected to do mostly plastic surgery and LIMITS the amount of bone cutting surgeries he does

Asking for a ceph of the mandible area: Cephs are done of the WHOLE (most of it) profile. Not just the mandible.

Your statements don't convey what you actually consulted about and the NAME of the doctor to answer if he was correct.

In general, when someone goes to a maxfax that primarily displaces the jaw bones and works with an ortho for braces in preparation for a surgery, AND the objective is to correct a jaw and bite imbalance, a ceph is done. But one does not go to one with the objective of soliciting outside opinions of what they should do to improve.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

StudyHacks

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
A 'maxfax PLASTIC SURGEON': This could mean someone who started with a maxfax background and went on to get a qualification in PS or the other way around. It could also mean the surgeon with a maxfax background has elected to do mostly plastic surgery and LIMITS the amount of bone cutting surgeries he does

Asking for a ceph of the mandible area: Cephs are done of the WHOLE (most of it) profile. Not just the mandible.

Your statements don't convey what you actually consulted about and the NAME of the doctor to answer if he was correct.

In general, when someone goes to a maxfax that primarily displaces the jaw bones and works with an ortho for braces in preparation for a surgery, AND the objective is to correct a jaw and bite imbalance, a ceph is done. But one does not go to one with the objective of soliciting outside opinions of what they should do to improve.
So do I need to get a CBCT or a CEPH done to show to the maxfac I'm going to consult with because I want to get bimax?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
So do I need to get a CBCT or a CEPH done to show to the maxfac I'm going to consult with because I want to get bimax?

You don't need either BEFORE you go to a maxfax.  They arrange for you to have one.

StudyHacks

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 11:35:36 PM »
You don't need either BEFORE you go to a maxfax.  They arrange for you to have one.
OK but I'd like to speed up the process so he could already take a look at my bone structure

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »
OK but I'd like to speed up the process so he could already take a look at my bone structure

Enough. This isn't your string.