Author Topic: Openbite  (Read 2646 times)

Gadwins

• Private
Openbite
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »
Hello dear Community,

At first I apologize for my English. I'm a simple physicist from germany (mid 20's old) and never learned to speak proper English. I hope that I will be still understandable.

I have a strong open bite (6mm), but my main goal is to improve my aesthetic. I am very unhappy about my Lip incompetence, so my chin seems to be very weak. Also I am unhappy about my proclaimed upper teeth.

In germany it is difficult to find orthodontics who are willing to treat me. Still I managed to find 3 orthodontics who want to treat me in different ways:

1. Wants to extract all my 4 molars and pull the upper teeth back, but pull my 7Th and 8th forward in the bottom jaw. Then I should undergo a bimax.
2. Palatale Expansion to get 5mm more space in the upper jaw. Then I should under a bimax.
3. Palatale Expansion, but no bimax. He wants to strip 2mm at the bottom jaw at my premolars and intrude my 6th molars and pull a little bit my upper teeth out to close my open bite.

Nobody could explain me what would be the best asthetical outcome. They just say it is not predictable. I really don't care about closing my open bite. I just want to have a normal profile with a chin. I would even undergo a chin surgery or chin wing if that is needed.

In Germany many Jawsurgerist don't care about asthetics. There is one guy, Dr. Kater, who does care. But he doesn't explain how I will look after the surgery. He said, it is not predictable. I didn't visit Dr. Zarrinbal, because he is a little far away and it would be my last choice.

Of course I don't want to sacrifice some good looking features of my face.

I just want to hear what do you think about my case. If you need Information, then I can provide it. I attach one side x-ray. I have also standard photos of my face, but I don't want to put them into the internet. If somebody really wants to help me, I could send it via pm.

Thank you for your help and taking time for me.

Best Regards,

Gadwins
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:13:04 AM by Gadwins »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Openbite 6mm
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
One of the surgeries aimed at open bite is to remove a section from the maxilla above the teeth, part of (posterior) maxilla that is attributable to being positioned such that they preclude lower jaw from being moved up. It's called posterior impaction. You can't move your lower jaw up because the back teeth meet BEFORE the front teeth can. So your jaw is forced down which contributes to the chin looking long and backwards.
 You're not an orthodonture alone case as in you don't have something that can be treated with ortho alone. You're a surgical case. Consults surgeons about possibility of posterior impaction.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
Hi there, I also 'need' double jaw surgery and was considering getting it done in Germany so made some enquiries. I found one German maxillofacial surgeon in Munich who has his own private clinic and had a Skype consultation with him. He told me that he uses 3D computer modelling and if I meet him at his clinic, we can 'play around' with the software to see what different jaw movements would make my face look like.

I do not know what to think about this as other surgeons told me - just like they told you - that soft tissue changes are unpredictable and it is impossible to know what you will end up looking like. Still, if I was in Germany, I would definitely visit this surgeon and see his 'predictions', it might be worth a try for you as well (he charged me around 125 euros for the Skype consultation, don't know how much a consultation at the clinic would be, plus you would have to pay for CBCT scans).

His charges for the surgery are quite high, he quoted me the same as Zarrinbal, so I personally decided not to go with him because between the two, Zarrinbal made a better impression on me but that's just a personal decision I guess, and also I will probably end up getting the surgery done in another country. Anyway, if you are interested, I can PM you details of the surgeon in Munich.

april

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:41:36 AM »

Germany sounds pretty conservative for jaw surgery.

I do not know what to think about this as other surgeons told me - just like they told you - that soft tissue changes are unpredictable and it is impossible to know what you will end up looking like.

It might give you some idea, even if it's unpredictable. Like better some idea, than no idea?

On the other hand, because it's unpredictable there's a risk it could also look strange, which might turn you off the plan even if it's a good one.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:10:07 AM »
It might give you some idea, even if it's unpredictable. Like better some idea, than no idea?

That's what I thought. Then again, one surgeon I spoke to said he does not show imagines like that on principle because if the results turn out different, patients could get angry and disappointed. I really don't know.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:47:24 AM »
One of the surgeries aimed at open bite is to remove a section from the maxilla above the teeth, part of (posterior) maxilla that is attributable to being positioned such that they preclude lower jaw from being moved up. It's called posterior impaction. You can't move your lower jaw up because the back teeth meet BEFORE the front teeth can. So your jaw is forced down which contributes to the chin looking long and backwards.
 You're not an orthodonture alone case as in you don't have something that can be treated with ortho alone. You're a surgical case. Consults surgeons about possibility of posterior impaction.

Thank you for your opinion.

So, do you think that I don't need any chin surgery if I undergo this kind of surgery? How do you know that I really need a surgery? I am quite confused, because all the orthodontics tell me only what they will do, but not why they will do it in this way.

Maybe a last question: I have a slight Angle Class II bite, but is my bottom jaw really too long? Because one orthodontics said it has to be shortened.

Thank you also for the other answers. I will think about that. At first I would like to hear more opinion. I don't trust many surgerist in germany, because they seems to charge more money even I have public health care. So I don't really know, if I really need a chin surgery or not, because I think somebody of them just want to earn more money. For example Dr. Kater charges 5000 Euro without chin surgery, because he claims that the public insurance doesn't cover all the cost, what is not true.

Best Regards,

Gadwins

Edit: One surgerist said I don't need to remove any teeth, but the first orthodontics wanted to remove my 1. molars, because he claims that my front teeth are too proclined. Is that also true?

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »
I don't trust many surgerist in germany, because they seems to charge more money even I have public health care. So I don't really know, if I really need a chin surgery or not, because I think somebody of them just want to earn more money. For example Dr. Kater charges 5000 Euro without chin surgery, because he claims that the public insurance doesn't cover all the cost, what is not true.
Edit: One surgerist said I don't need to remove any teeth, but the first orthodontics wanted to remove my 1. molars, because he claims that my front teeth are too proclined. Is that also true?

If you do more research, unfortunately you will find that jaw surgery is extremely expensive all around the world, especially in Western countries. It is major surgery and not many doctors are qualified to carry out this procedure, so nobody will do it just for a few thousand euros. If you live in a country where any of the cost is covered by your insurance or by public health care, you are lucky and 5000 euros is very little to pay in comparison with what you would have to pay privately.

The other thing is, orthodontist and surgeon will have to work closely together to plan your treatment, so if you live in Germany it is probably not a great idea to try to find a surgeon in another country unless you are able and willing to go there regularly for orthodontic treatment that can last for years.

Regarding tooth extractions, different orthodontists and surgeons will have different plans and might or might not want to extract teeth based on that plan. So you should not agree to any extractions before you find a surgeon you are happy with and than he or she can tell you if extractions are needed for their plan or not.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »
First of all, of course 5000 Euro aren't much, but he wants to get the money by my public insurance (who covers all cost) + 5000 Euro extra, because he claims that the public insurance wouldn't cover all cost. I don't know if Dr. Kater is a good surgerist. He has a lot of experience, but some of his patients: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD_b5jvcBcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP11rizhoWU

have really bad outcome. I think he did too much linear advancment for the maxilla. I would pay extra money, but he is a really uncooperative man.

Second: In germany the orthodontists make the plan and tell the surgery how they want to do it. Not the other way around and there is also no real cooperation between them. Just one formal letter for the insurance.

And last but not least, why isn't there a gold standard to fix a open bite? I don't understand why there are so many difference ways. What are the reasons for all of that?

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »
I don't want to argue but I communicated with both Zarrinbal and this other surgeon in Munich and both of them very much wanted to plan the surgery themselves and wanted to give instructions to the orthodontist, not the other way around (I wonder if that would even be possible).

Why is there no 'gold standard' - because everyone has a different face / bite, and open bite is not an 'illness' waiting to be fixed. As you yourself said, you mainly want an aesthetic improvement and there is no 'gold standard' for what would look good to you and / or on your face. There are different options and if you are lucky, you or the doctors treating you will choose one that improves your bite / looks.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 10:37:19 PM »
Thank you for your opinion.

So, do you think that I don't need any chin surgery if I undergo this kind of surgery? How do you know that I really need a surgery? I am quite confused, because all the orthodontics tell me only what they will do, but not why they will do it in this way.

Maybe a last question: I have a slight Angle Class II bite, but is my bottom jaw really too long? Because one orthodontics said it has to be shortened.

Thank you also for the other answers. I will think about that. At first I would like to hear more opinion. I don't trust many surgerist in germany, because they seems to charge more money even I have public health care. So I don't really know, if I really need a chin surgery or not, because I think somebody of them just want to earn more money. For example Dr. Kater charges 5000 Euro without chin surgery, because he claims that the public insurance doesn't cover all the cost, what is not true.

Best Regards,

Gadwins

I'm just introducing information in STEPS here and NOT all of the types of displacements to  give a better aesthetic. That is because in the past, when I took the time to look at a LOT of things and elaborate on the type of rotations, displacements..etc. where the conclusion was that surgery would be the way to address those things, it turned out to be a person who wanted to avoid surgery. Basically, instead of finding out AFTER I give a lot of info about types of surgeries that would/could improve the aesthetic of someone and it turns out the recpient is someone wanting to avoid surgery, I'd rather find that out FIRST.

So, instead of my answering: 'How do you know I need surgery?', let me establish if surgery is somthing you are wanting to avoid or pursue OR expect ortho alone to kick up an aesthetic improvement. That type of question to me positions me to attempt to convince you that you need it and in the past, I've gone through a LOT  of detailed explanations about surgery only to find the person had the agenda to AVOID it.

Do you WANT surgery? Yes or no.

I'll go over what I mentioned prior; removal of a posterior section of the maxilla (surgery, posterior impaction), the section above the (upper) teeth where excess to that area is what is pushing your jaw back and down because the back teeth close before the front ones can. Is it INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS to you that if a section removed which is doing that, your jaw would be able to swing up more and that would IMPROVE your aesthetic situation? It needs to be for me to go further on much. If this is obvious to you, then we are talking SURGERY and not ortho alone.

If it's obvious to YOU being able to swing your jaw up more if the section forcing it down were removed, I'll discuss the chin. Given that the chin is also part of the aesthetic problem, is it intuitively obvious to YOU that it would look better if it were MORE forward and LESS long?
IF so, than that surgery would be a SLIDING GENIO; displacement of the chin bone over a diagonal where the 2 displacement vectors are horizontally forward and vertically up. With reference to an X-Y coordinate system and the profile facing to the right, displacement over a positive (diagonal) slope where the diagonal is the CUT to slide the chin section forward.

Ortho alone and with tooth EXTRACTIONS would end up pushing the face backwards which is NOT a good aesthetic.

The proclined upper front teeth are also part of the open bite problem. So, ortho and braces would be towards SURGERY and not just ortho alone IF you wanted to correct your aesthetic.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »
I'm just introducing information in STEPS here and NOT all of the types of displacements to  give a better aesthetic. That is because in the past, when I took the time to look at a LOT of things and elaborate on the type of rotations, displacements..etc. where the conclusion was that surgery would be the way to address those things, it turned out to be a person who wanted to avoid surgery. Basically, instead of finding out AFTER I give a lot of info about types of surgeries that would/could improve the aesthetic of someone and it turns out the recpient is someone wanting to avoid surgery, I'd rather find that out FIRST.

So, instead of my answering: 'How do you know I need surgery?', let me establish if surgery is somthing you are wanting to avoid or pursue OR expect ortho alone to kick up an aesthetic improvement. That type of question to me positions me to attempt to convince you that you need it and in the past, I've gone through a LOT  of detailed explanations about surgery only to find the person had the agenda to AVOID it.

Do you WANT surgery? Yes or no.

I'll go over what I mentioned prior; removal of a posterior section of the maxilla (surgery, posterior impaction), the section above the (upper) teeth where excess to that area is what is pushing your jaw back and down because the back teeth close before the front ones can. Is it INTUITIVELY OBVIOUS to you that if a section removed which is doing that, your jaw would be able to swing up more and that would IMPROVE your aesthetic situation? It needs to be for me to go further on much. If this is obvious to you, then we are talking SURGERY and not ortho alone.

If it's obvious to YOU being able to swing your jaw up more if the section forcing it down were removed, I'll discuss the chin. Given that the chin is also part of the aesthetic problem, is it intuitively obvious to YOU that it would look better if it were MORE forward and LESS long?
IF so, than that surgery would be a SLIDING GENIO; displacement of the chin bone over a diagonal where the 2 displacement vectors are horizontally forward and vertically up. With reference to an X-Y coordinate system and the profile facing to the right, displacement over a positive (diagonal) slope where the diagonal is the CUT to slide the chin section forward.

Ortho alone and with tooth EXTRACTIONS would end up pushing the face backwards which is NOT a good aesthetic.

The proclined upper front teeth are also part of the open bite problem. So, ortho and braces would be towards SURGERY and not just ortho alone IF you wanted to correct your aesthetic.

Thank you for your answer. No, I don't want to avoid surgery. I just want to avoid unnecessary surgery. For example, I am struggling to undergo the palate expansion. If it would be only a bimax+sliding Genio in one surgery, then I have no problem.

So Yes, I want a surgery. Is it for me intuitvely obvious that a maxilla impaction will improve my asthetic sitatuion? Yes, but is it possible in my case? Do I have really too much bone at posterior? And if yes, how big will be the autorotation of my bottom jaw?

Is it for me intuitvely obvious that a less long and more forward chin will look better. Yes, but how much better in my case? Is my chin really that long, really that short? I can't see it. I think I am loosing some of the chin projection, because the bottom teeth my teeth are too much proclined.

So just to make it clear. Yes, I want really a surgery if it will improve my asthetics, but I want really to understand what kind of surgery I need and why I should undergo this kind of surgery and not another kind of surgery. My only concern is that I don't want to have several surgery sessions.

Best Regards,

Gadwins
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 04:39:24 AM by Gadwins »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
Thank you for your answer. No, I don't want to avoid surgery. I just want to avoid unnecessary surgery. For example, I am struggling to undergo the palate expansion. If it would be only a bimax+sliding Genio in one surgery, then I have no problem.

So Yes, I want a surgery. Is it for me intuitvely obvious that a maxilla impaction will improve my asthetic sitatuion? Yes, but is it possible in my case? Do I have really too much bone at posterior? And if yes, how big will be the autorotation of my bottom jaw?

Is it for me intuitvely obvious that a less long and more forward chin will look better. Yes, but how much better in my case? Is my chin really that long, really that short? I can't see it. I think I am loosing some of the chin projection, because the bottom teeth my teeth are too much proclined.

So just to make it clear. Yes, I want really a surgery if it will improve my asthetics, but I want really to understand what kind of surgery I need and why I should undergo this kind of surgery and not another kind of surgery. My only concern is that I don't want to have several surgery sessions.

Best Regards,

Gadwins

It sounds as if you are expecting to get quantitative aesthetic explanations/assessments against a backdrop of aesthetic blindness, inability to SEE your issues on YOURSELF and qualify them enough to recognize when someone else sees them and tells you what they are. That's not a good recipe for understanding any suggestion you get from a consult aimed at aesthetic improvement.

For example you ask:

...... but is my bottom jaw really too long? Because one orthodontics said it has to be shortened.

The expectation goes the other way. Doctors expect the patient looking for aesthetic improvements to AT LEAST be able say what they think they are or for it at least to SOUND RIGHT when the doctor describes something, even if he does so in very basic terms. So, if you don't actually SEE that it IS too long, as in long enough to look better shorter, the doctor would be spinning his wheels to explain to you all the details involved with the specific rotational , linear displacements surgeries etc needed for an aesthetic improvement.

Some things need to be self evident on your part and enough so that they don't need to 'prove' to you such things as why a shorter looking lower jaw would look better than the one you have now. The proof of the potential benefit of some of the suggestions should be in the mirror for starters.

Palatal expansion is applicable to the face near and below cheeks also being NARROW because the palate is narrow. So, if you don't see this on your face, it will be hard for you to 'digest' a suggestion of palate expansion whereas a patient who could tell the doctor; 'I think my face looks too narrow in addition to my chin and jaw position looking very long and backward' would no trouble recognizing a suggestion that resolves to improving what he doesn't like about his facial aesthetics.

As to whether posterior impaction is possible for you, although it is a common surgery done for anterior open bite, you would need to consult with a SURGEON to explore that possibility. It's just that once know what possibilities to consult about at least you know to consult WITH a SURGEON directly about SURGERY and he most likely would tell you what's done along with it. As to rotations, the posterior part of the maxilla might needed to be rotated a different extent than rotation to the anterior maxilla and a 3 piece Lefort might be a possibility.

As to it being 'intuitively obvious' to you that your chin would look better less long and less short, the fact that you then ask whether it's really long or short and CAN'T SEE it, NEGATES that being intuitively obvious to you and is INTERNALLY INCONSISTENT.

As to your lower teeth being proclined contributing to your chin problem, yes, that is a CONTRIBUTING factor to aesthetic problems as is ALSO the upper teeth being too proclined. The proclination is consistent with the suggestion to remove 2 pre-molars in a process to PREPARE for a surgery. The only way to retrocline the lower teeth would be to remove 2 pre-molars so there would be SPACE to push them backwards.

As to needing to understand why some other kind of surgery INSTEAD of the type that aims at addressing deep bite and the jaw/chin deformities that go with it, what OTHER kind of surgery could you have possibly had in mind, a surgery other than maxfacial and if you don't actually see the extent of the aesthetic deformity you have that's attributable to anterior OPEN BITE to the extent you have it you won't have basis to digest or understand the suggestions you get.

Last but not least, the doctor you can go to in Germany (well the one I know of) where you DON'T have to go to an ortho FIRST to consult with him is Zarrinbal. But then you state he's too far away and he would be your last choice.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 07:40:04 AM »

For example you ask:
The expectation goes the other way. Doctors expect the patient looking for aesthetic improvements to AT LEAST be able say what they think they are or for it at least to SOUND RIGHT when the doctor describes something, even if he does so in very basic terms. So, if you don't actually SEE that it IS too long, as in long enough to look better shorter, the doctor would be spinning his wheels to explain to you all the details involved with the specific rotational , linear displacements surgeries etc needed for an aesthetic improvement.

I said it is intuitively my chin should be more forward, yes, but how much forward? I would like to have an explanation why the posterior impaction isn't enough for my chin.

ok, about the length of my bottom jaw I am not really sure. I really can't see why it should be a problem, even after the posterior impaction.
So i visited already many jawsurgerist, but they just say something like that: "It has to be a bimax, it is the only possibility in your case" And I am like, ok posterior maxilla impaction is really clear for me, but why should be my bottom jaw to be shortened and why do I need a palatale expansion. I mean my upper jaw is not bigger than my bottom jaw, but also not smaller. But for such question no Jawsurgerist had time.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:11:16 AM by Gadwins »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »

I think that is a important point what you did say. Let me explain why I am here or why I began to think about my aesthetic. When I was 20 years old I decided to fix my open bite (for functional reasons!) and intuitively it was clear that I will need a surgery. In germany many Ortho.  don't want to treat such a case, because they don't get enough money by the public insurance (but still the public insurance covers such cases).

On the other case, of course Jawsurgerist want to treat such cases and try to make money out of it. Because they want more money than what the public insurance covers, they have cruel tactics ( I think it is cruel). I went to one Jawsurgery, because I needed a formal letter for my public insurance and I wanted to be informed about the risks of such a surgery. Instead informing me about the risks, he began to say, "My face is flat". I was like, what the hell? Then I went to Dr. Kater, because he is very experienced. Again, my chin is akward, I should fix my chin.

I mean, I never thought about my appearance. I even thought that I am a really good looking guy and just wanted to fix my open bite. But in germany it is the other way around. You go to a Jawsurgerist and he says, what is wrong with you.

I began to look at my side face and noticed it looks really a little bit akward. But I couldn't say why. I went down the whole rabbit hole and began to read in the internet. I even read in this toxic forums like "lookism". Let my hair and beard grow long to camouflage my appearance.

So Jawsurgerist told me to fix that part and not because I think it should be fixed.

Still I am unhappy with my side face and I think that I am unhappy, because the chin is covered by something.

I said it is intuitively my chin should be more forward, yes, but how much forward? I would like to have an explanation why the posterior impaction isn't enough for my chin.

ok, about the length of my bottom jaw I am not really sure. I really can't see why it should be a problem, even after the posterior impaction.
So i visited already many jawsurgerist, but they just say something like that: "It has to be a bimax, it is the only possibility in your case" And I am like, ok posterior maxilla impaction is really clear for me, but why should be my bottom jaw to be shortened and why do I need a palatale expansion. I mean my upper jaw is not bigger than my bottom jaw, but also not smaller. But for such question no Jawsurgerist had time.

I would not say that Dentistry and surgery in Germany (socialized medicine but also with private pay doctors) is an 'unfortunate' situation. But rather one that you don't need to have a FORTUNE to have it. People on this board wanting maxfax surgery for AESTHETICS who gravitate to one of the US surgeons need to pay a fortune to have it, close to 100 grand ($100,000). So, that's a system where someone can be tortured socially for their appearance (someone with significant deformity) and be declined by some surgeons who could make it a lot better because they elect to appeal to treating maxfax 'problems' of people with a LOT of money instead.
So, maybe you would prefer a system like that in the US where doctors who could help patients with significant facial deformities but turn them down instead because they elect to take on SELF PAY patients who have a FORTUNE to pay them privately.

The way I look at it in your situation is that the aesthetics of your face could not be made much better at all with ortho alone and just MAYBE the system in Germany precludes them from EXPLOITING you financially via SELF PAY to undergo ortho only to find out later down that it does little to nothing to improve your aesthetics. Now if you really want proof that ortho alone isn't going to do much for you aesthetically, all you have to do is get treated that way instead of surgery and you'll find that out for yourself.

I would posit that the orthos who told you they would NOT treat you with ortho alone know damned well that ortho alone isn't going to do much at all for your aesthetics. Yet those who would treat you with ortho alone might notice that you don't notice the extent of your facial problems and might not mind at all if the ortho made your bite better in the absence of making much difference with regard to improving aesthetics. In other words, I don't see financial motivation (profit incentive) on their part as playing much of a role in what they told you.

With surgeons, they can look at your face and just SEE that it's a face that would require such things as removing a maxilla segment attributable to the open bite and unfavorable rotation of the lower jaw, expanding the narrow palate to address narrowness, moving the maxilla 'forward' to offset FLATNESS and perhaps needing to cut the maxilla in MULTI SEGMENTS in that process and for the mandible, it would be BSSO for forward advance and a type of genio that reduced chin excess yet also brought forward. All that with a PRELUDE of ortho prep where lower pre-molar extraction as possible contingency. I see those things too.

So, yes, if the system compensated them in accordance with the EXTENT of the surgery they would need to do to improve the aesthetics of ANYONE who had the SAME ceph as yours, the system would allocate more financial compensation for a doctor addressing a patient with the same ceph as yours compared to that of another patient who's ceph showed a need for MUCH LESS surgery. However, IF the system DID NOT compensate them for the extent of surgery needed to be done for a patient with a ceph like yours but INSTEAD compensated them the SAME for a more straight forward case of less complexity, they'd be electing to limit surgery to the 'easy' cases and tell someone who had a ceph just like yours; 'Sorry, we can't fix everything.'

That said, I don't see the (medical insurance) system in Germany an 'unfortunate one' but rather one you're fortunate to have. However, if you happen to have a financial FORTUNE to pay some of the doctors considered as 'aesthetic gurus', it might not involve them 'proving' to you everything you might want proven to you. But probably more technical information would come forth in a SELF PAY consult against a surgery costing a 'fortune' than you would be given when consulting with a state subsidized surgeon.  The SELF PAY consultation might include a read out of ALL the many displacements along with a diagram showing the expected contour changes to the facial skeleton/soft tissue profile that would be somewhat of a function of all those displacements. But they wouldn't be providing you with an education as to teaching you about all the many displacements on the chart in the event you needed that to 'prove' to you how each one applied.

Let's see... You can't see by looking in the mirror and at your own ceph how it qualitatively deviates significantly from a good aesthetic and you need quantitative 'proof' of how much in the process of seeking opinions.

That is not too different from the type of poster who gets on here with a significant aesthetic problem wanting to avoid surgery or a type of surgery that would address what they have. Someone seeking opinions but needing 'proof' when one is given that might run counter to what they want to hear or is outside of what they understand having to do with maxfax relationships.

I would agree bi-max surgery would be the only way to address your (multiple) aesthetic issues. A narrow palate is an aesthetic problem, as 'long jaw'. But if you don't see those things even at the most basic level they could be seen, it isn't my task to 'prove' to you they are there, do a ceph tracing by hand measure all the angles and distances and then educate you what they all mean and how they apply to you and why specific surgical displacements would be needed to fix what you have. I'm not getting compensated to do all of that as a $0/hour VOLUNTEER on JSF and to do so 'just because' you're unable to RELATE to what the surgeons told you would be needed or in any contingency you would need to be subsequent to getting an opinion on JSF.

Not only are you looking for opinions but you're also holding CONTINGENT that those who give them to you 'prove' them to you. Doesn't work that way on JSF on the part of a knowledgeable JSF mod not trying to 'sell you' jaw surgery. Probably doesn't work that way in Germany either where doctors would not be compensated to give private tutorials as to 'educate' patients in all the particulars of maxfax surgery so they understand everything.

Your whole outlook is ausgef**ked to contend that surgeons in Germany 'don't care about aesthetics'just because they don't take the TIME to prove to you why their advice is what it is. Need proof? You're 20. Take 3-5 years off which is plenty of time to study all of the surgical displacements done in maxfax as they apply to the aesthetic relationships of the jaws and bite, particularly your own. In that way, you'll be better able to identify with the surgical suggestions you get for aesthetic improvement such that they will be SELF EVIDENT.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »
ok, thank you for your answer. You misunderstood something, because my english is very poor. I am sorry for that and I try to rephrase some points:

First at all I am mid 20's old. I wrote that I was 20. Second, I never went to ortho. to consult about a non-surgery solution.

It is the opposite, because I have to undergo a combined ortho+surgery treat or otherwise my insurance won't pay for it.
I had only one ortho., who said by himself: "yes I could fix it without surgery and you dont't need any surgery, because your face is harmonic." 
All the other orthos. said that I need a surgery and I never complained about that. However they tried to get rid of me.

Let just summarize some points, so I can be sure that I inderstood it right:

You also think, that maxilla impaction is not enough to bring my chin more forward. So I should also get a sliding genio. Please allow me again to state the question: Wouldn't the maxilla impaction alone improve my aesthetic drastical, so is the sliding genio just the cherry on the top? Just to make it clear: I see on my ceph and if I use a double mirrow, that I haven't a chin outside. But in the ceph I see that I have skeletal chin. I mean, my "real" chin doesn't look like this: http://www.storoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/weak-chin-orthognathic-surgery-storoe1.png

If I understood you correct, there are objective measurements why my bottom jaw is considered as long? I don't want to know them exactly. I just want to know if there are standards for that.

What do you mean by cut my maxilla into multiple segments? So is there a way to expand my maxilla in the same surgery as the bimax? Because I only  know, and that is what all ortho. told me, this way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_expansion#/media/File:Hyrax_rapid_palatal_expander.png

And last question: If I get a palate expansion, why should I remove my premolars or did I understand you wrong? If the premolars should be removed, wouldn't it be better to remove my 1. Molars, because they are broken in my case. I thought the palate expansion should solve the problem with my proclined teeth.

It is quite offtopic to discuss the other stuff, but just my 2 cents: In germany everybody expects that a doctor can explain you exactly why you should undergo a treatment. If I go to a jawsurgerist, because I have a medical issue and he says, I need a chin surgery then in Germany everybody will ask him, why exactly do I need it and if it is for better aesthetics, how do I know that it will look better?

You should understand that in germany many people would think I have a mental illness. Nobody would consider me as deformed, maybe a little bit different, but not as deformed. If I would tell anybody that I want a surgery for aesthetic issues, they would consider me as crazy. So let say that, my outlook is very german. But it is not a discussion for this topic.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 05:18:54 PM by Gadwins »