Author Topic: Jaw surgery to reduce nasal height or should I consider paranasal implants?  (Read 1124 times)

the_tall_lil

Hey y'all,
I posted a while back and got some helpful tips, so I wanted to ask and get some feedback from people here about a question I have related to my midface height.
I've attached a recent headshot photo I received in good lighting to kind of demonstrate what I'm considering: https://imgur.com/0VCAoYd
I'm 24, and often times people say I look like I'm 30, which I feel is due to a combination of factors including:

1) Long nasal height - I'm Ashkenazi Jewish, so this might be a heritage thing too? I had a rhinoplasty some years back, which definitely helped, but I feel a lot of my midface length is actually due to the length of my nose, which might not be trivial to fix with jaw surgery?

2) Eye area deficiencies - I have kind of buggy eyes, which when I talked to an oculoplastic is due to a combination of eyelid ptosis and deficiency in both upper eyelid fullness and tear troughs. I'm actually going to get the ptosis corrected in about 2 weeks, and trying filler for the upper/lower eye issues (going to Dr. Taban in Beverly Hills, so hopefully he gets results similar to my morph).

I've also had a lip lift (with the rhinoplasty) and while it helped a bit on the philtrum length, I feel my facial length isn't really improved, given the length of the nose. For aesthetic reasons, what procedures, if any, would help me achieve results more similar to the right (morphed) photo?

Thank you!

P.S. Also side profile for reference https://imgur.com/KyWoFp9

PloskoPlus

Can’t shorten the nose. (Maybe lf3 setback?  But that would be insane).  In aesthetic surgery, when something is made bigger, something else will look smaller, and vice versa. That’s why a lip lift can make the nose look longer. You could make your lower third longer with jaw surgery, maybe implants, but then your forehead will look short. I don't think there's an easy answer.... Anyway, the long nosed are dynamite in the sack. At least that's what I tell myself.

kavan

• Global Moderator
ptosis surgery will correct only ptosis which you don't have that bad at all. It will make less upper lid 'eye make up space' but it doesn't correct buggy eyes.

There is NO surgery to shorten the distance between the root of the nose and the base of the nose or the midface area between those places on the nose. So, you CAN'T do what you did in the morph to shorten between those areas of the nose.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

the_tall_lil

So I’m also getting filler below and above the eyes and if I really like it he offered orbital decompression and a canthoplasty. I’m hoping he can at least provide more fullness to the paranasal area with the filler to mimic the upper face in my morph.

Any recommendations if the nose can’t be shortened to achieve facial harmony similar to the right photo?

kavan

• Global Moderator
So I’m also getting filler below and above the eyes and if I really like it he offered orbital decompression and a canthoplasty. I’m hoping he can at least provide more fullness to the paranasal area with the filler to mimic the upper face in my morph.

Any recommendations if the nose can’t be shortened to achieve facial harmony similar to the right photo?

Filler alone (without ptosis surgery) can lower the upper eye lid crease. Ptosis surgery is best for people with 'Garfield eyes' (cartoon cat with upper lid covers a LOT of the iris).

Orbital rim implants (which need a midface lift with them) is an option to orbital decompression surgery.

No suggestions to shorten the nose since it can't be shortened.

My only other suggestion is to get laser hair removal to the lower face unless what I'm seeing that looks like shaving stubble there is something else.

the_tall_lil

Nah, it's a combination of makeup, dry skin, and really bad skin texture. Working on it, though.
Would increasing the volume of the midface make the nose look shorter, or something like paranasal implants?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Nah, it's a combination of makeup, dry skin, and really bad skin texture. Working on it, though.
Would increasing the volume of the midface make the nose look shorter, or something like paranasal implants?

No. Not shorter. Maybe less prominent to the face.

I need to ask if you intend to have your post DELETED which you did on your prior post here. If so, I can't spend more time answering questions.

PloskoPlus

In theory, widening the face, making it more round might make it look shorter.  It could also backfire as well - you'll look no better, just have a midface which is too big for the face in every dimension.

IMO, eyes dominate aesthetics, unless there is a big deformity elsewhere on the face.  If you cold somehow lower the eyebrows, make the upper eyelids show less, that could probably be the biggest aesthetic win.  Also the taller you are, the more a longer midface (and face in general) is acceptable.