Author Topic: I'm having surgery  (Read 8959 times)

fullofsoubts

Re: I'm having surgery
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
Hello again!

I wrote to A. office and spoke with their treatment coordinator. She says I should not worry and that if when the time comes, It's only necessary to do the lower jaw, that would be no problem. It happens sometimes.

She also told me that it should not affect the room for manoeuvre that the doctor will have. And that in six months I should visit with him and according to my progress he will evaluate what we should do.

She also says that my orthodontist probably already spoke to A. regarding this (I know they've spoke several times before regarding my case). I will ask my ortho this in two weeks in my next invisalign appointment.

So let's say the ortho fixes my gummy smile and the dr. needs to do rotation in order to fix my jaw. Will that be possible if I don't have a gummy smile anymore? I think that would be my main concern given that I don't have that much space in my lower jaw to move it forward and I think I would need a big movement to fix it.

Here are some pictures from the clincheck:

https://imgur.com/a/2tmPcDT

My ortho says these are very exaggerated movements and It would not be like that in reality.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:35:40 PM by fullofsoubts »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »
Hello again!

I wrote to A. office and spoke with their treatment coordinator. She says I should not worry and that if when the time comes, It's only necessary to do the lower jaw, that would be no problem. It happens sometimes.

She also told me that it should not affect the room for manoeuvre that the doctor will have. And that in six months I should visit with him and according to my progress he will evaluate what we should do.

She also says that my orthodontist probably already spoke to A. regarding this (I know they've spoke several times before regarding my case). I will ask my ortho this in two weeks in my next invisalign appointment.

So let's say the ortho fixes my gummy smile and the dr. needs to do rotation in order to fix my jaw. Will that be possible if I don't have a gummy smile anymore? I think that would be my main concern given that I don't have that much space in my lower jaw to move it forward and I think I would need a big movement to fix it.

Here are some pictures from the clincheck:

https://imgur.com/a/2tmPcDT

My ortho says these are very exaggerated movements and It would not be like that in reality.

Hi,

I don't have a CRYSTAL BALL and can't answer what your surgeon will do IF you do 'this or that--whatever--' with ortho.

All I can tell you is that your ortho and surgeon need to have DIRECT COMMUNICATION and the surgeon needs to DIRECT the ortho with reference to what ever his plans are for the surgery.

If you need predictions as to what your surgeon will do with reference to different hypothetical ortho outcome possibilities, then you will need to ask the SURGEON'S OFFICE.

It looks like you ALREADY HAVE and GOT an answer from them. YET, you are STILL asking here.

I'm neither Alfaro's surgical assistant nor secretary. Your doubts and uncertainties about your upcoming surgery exceed my capacity to resolve all of them for you.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

fullofsoubts

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 11:40:05 AM »
Hey! I just got surgery this morning!

Not sure but I think I got BSSO, maxillary impaction, CCW rotation, genioplasty and septoplasty.

I’m pretty swollen right now but I think It’s going to look great

I will post pictures when I’m home

fullofsoubts

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
https://ibb.co/VQkg7nG

A before and after I took before the swelling kicked in

Maybe I wont need a nosejob after all  ;D

droplyfe

• Private
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
looks rly great!!

what were the movements (impaction/advancement/etc) if u know?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
Nice.

fullofsoubts

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 04:02:31 AM »
looks rly great!!

what were the movements (impaction/advancement/etc) if u know?

Hello deoplyfe! I dont know the exact movements in milimeters but what I got is what I mentioned in my other post.

I’m feeling better than yesterday, but I know It’s going to be a long road to recovery

andyyyy37

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 02:07:04 PM »
Hey! I just got surgery this morning!

Not sure but I think I got BSSO, maxillary impaction, CCW rotation, genioplasty and septoplasty.

I’m pretty swollen right now but I think It’s going to look great

I will post pictures when I’m home

For rotations, are they a result of impaction or downgrafting or are they separate movements. For example if you get an impaction isn’t that always gonna be a CCW since your face gets shorter? Or can you get just a CCW rotation without an impaction?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »
For rotations, are they a result of impaction or downgrafting or are they separate movements. For example if you get an impaction isn’t that always gonna be a CCW since your face gets shorter? Or can you get just a CCW rotation without an impaction?
Posterior downgrafts can be combined with anterior impaction.

Anterior and posterior downgrafts can be combined too produce CCW-rotation as well - more posterior, less anterior.  For example, if someone has poor tooth show, yet a retrusive steep mandible.

For example, see how the maxilla was (allegedly) lowered at the front and back, but moreso at the back:

https://www.institutomaxilofacial.com/es/caso-clinico/pelle/

(BTW, I'm not endorsing Alfaro.  He has a crapload of bad results for every good one).

fullofsoubts

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 08:57:57 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm on day 10 post op, and let me tell you.. first week was HELL. Worse than I expected, but I'm a little bit better now.

Swelling has come down a little. The worst part is the swelling under the nose, which looks significantly wider. I'm trying not to worry too much because it is too soon for that, and I remember telling the dr that I didn't want a wider nose and he told me in my case that wouldn't be a problem. I guess he used an alar stitch or something like that. And to calm myself down I see images from when I was fresh out of surgery and the swelling hadn't really kicked in. It was a little bit wider and swollen but nothing to worry too much.

The thing is that today I read that the alar stitch is temporary. Is this true ? Is possible that my nose won't get back to the original shape or the shape it was just two hours after surgery ?

I'd love to hear your opinions and experience!

Thanks in advance

randomrandom

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Hi, can you share your recovery process, how was it like?
hope you recover quickly!

fullofsoubts

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
Thank you random random!

The first 2 or 3 days, the worst was throat pain because of the general anesthesia tube, the rest of my face was pretty much numb. I spent one night at the hospital and was sent home the following day.

At home I started regaining feeling and a lot of pain came with it, so the first week was hell. I still have pain, specially on the afternoons and nights, but now it is manageable with medication. The worst is when I smile.

Also I have 6 screws on my gums because of the invisalign and they are a total pain in the ass.

Swelling has come down a lot, but I'm still very swollen. I look disfigured and I'm at that point where you start questioning if all of this was worth it.

You have to be mentally prepared because it's going to be tough so I'm trying to be patient and remember that it's going to get better eventually.

Hope that helps  :)

fullofsoubts

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 01:15:32 AM »
https://ibb.co/rZw5VQq

One month and one week post op. Still pretty swollen, specially under my no se, chin and cheeks

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
https://ibb.co/rZw5VQq

One month and one week post op. Still pretty swollen, specially under my no se, chin and cheeks

can you show us in comparison to before pics? frontal and profile please.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 04:23:09 PM »
Looks great.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.