Author Topic: Considering cheekbone augmentation  (Read 1403 times)

djsbelgium

Considering cheekbone augmentation
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
I have a deep bite and im getting bimax next year (5,5mm maxilla forward, 8mmm mandible forward and ccw).
I'm considering getting cheekbone augmentation besides bimax. I'm not sure if it would be worth it though.

Frontal pictures and 3/4 pictures: (link deleted for the time being, post in thread if u want to give your opinion)

As you can see i have slightly overgrown zygomatic arches. My cheekline in 3/4th view is fine but nothing special. Also keep in mind i have slight forward head posture and i have molar buildups on my teeth that make my face look longer and rounder.

Should i get cheekbone augmentation with HA paste? I feel that i lack lateral projection. I dont think zygomatic osteotomy is worth for me. Would bimax alone help with cheekbones since it pulls the tissue around the midface forward?

I can also post my CBCT or my ceph if need be.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:56:06 AM by djsbelgium »

Bowie

Re: Considering cheekbone augmentation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
If you are adamant on HA paste for cheek augmentation then I think you should go to that Australian surgeon whose name escapes me but is very experienced in this. Mendelsohn?

Lefortitude

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Brian Mendelson(sp).  I think hes really old.  Ive seen some good results but a few native aussies on here have spoken poorly about him.

djsbelgium

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
If you are adamant on HA paste for cheek augmentation then I think you should go to that Australian surgeon whose name escapes me but is very experienced in this. Mendelsohn?

My question was rather do i need cheekbone augmentation / would i benefit enough from it.

But if you were wondering i was considering dr Defrancq for HA paste.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
Bimax surgery won't do anything to your cheek bones.
Your cheeks from front view bump out to the side but they bump out low near the holes in your ears. I doubt you would get the 'high' cheek bone look out of it and it might just exaggerate your low cheek bones. Besides with cheek implants or even osteos of any kind, they are not that predictable. 50/50 you would like it.

Also, according to Sharon Luftus MD and PS, she said in her book that cheek augmentation has highest level of dissatisfaction. Risk for guys is 'female' looking cheeks. So good luck if you get the 50% part in your favor.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »
don't think you need it bru, you've got good upper face projection.

djsbelgium

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 12:21:29 AM »
Bimax surgery won't do anything to your cheek bones.
Your cheeks from front view bump out to the side but they bump out low near the holes in your ears.
I've read this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/jawsurgery/comments/dfth64/a_question_for_women_about_jaw_surgery_and_your/f39rwkd?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
I think you're talking about my zygomatic arches which are slightly overgrown. Not sure if it's worth doing something about them. Don't think you can shave them off.

Besides with cheek implants or even osteos of any kind, they are not that predictable. 50/50 you would like it. Also, according to Sharon Luftus MD and PS, she said in her book that cheek augmentation has highest level of dissatisfaction. Risk for guys is 'female' looking cheeks. So good luck if you get the 50% part in your favor.

Now that you say, i went to Defrancqs website and looked for examples of male patients getting HA paste. I didn't find any. I did find male cheek implant cases though. I guess you're right.
Could you link the study?

Bowie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »

Also, according to Sharon Luftus MD and PS, she said in her book that cheek augmentation has highest level of dissatisfaction. Risk for guys is 'female' looking cheeks. So good luck if you get the 50% part in your favor.
She wasn’t talking about custom ones was she? Alll the normal traditional cheek implants I have seen on men are feminising.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
I've read this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/jawsurgery/comments/dfth64/a_question_for_women_about_jaw_surgery_and_your/f39rwkd?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
I think you're talking about my zygomatic arches which are slightly overgrown. Not sure if it's worth doing something about them. Don't think you can shave them off.

Now that you say, i went to Defrancqs website and looked for examples of male patients getting HA paste. I didn't find any. I did find male cheek implant cases though. I guess you're right.
Could you link the study?

It was a book I read.  I got her name wrong. It's Jean (not Sharon) Loftus MD. (who is a plastic surgeon). She had a book out some time ago and what I remember about it was the dissatisfaction rate for the cheek implants.

Your reddit link says your UPPER CHEEK won't change much but 'noteworthy changes are to mid/LOWER cheek. So, that sounds consistent with what I said which is I don't think you're going to get high cheek bones from the augmentation.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
She wasn’t talking about custom ones was she? Alll the normal traditional cheek implants I have seen on men are feminising.

Correct. She was talking about off the shelf implants. At time I read this book (early 1990s or so), custom implants had not come into play.

Notctr

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:05:36 PM »
Besides with cheek implants or even osteos of any kind, they are not that predictable. 50/50 you would like it.

I have been thinking about getting medpor malar implants per two surgeons' suggestion for years, but too scared to do it with all I've read online. Maybe the 50-50 chance should be off putting enough.

If implants, osteos and HA don't provide good enough results, what is the next best alternative?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
I have been thinking about getting medpor malar implants per two surgeons' suggestion for years, but too scared to do it with all I've read online. Maybe the 50-50 chance should be off putting enough.

If implants, osteos and HA don't provide good enough results, what is the next best alternative?

good planning and communication.