Author Topic: Aesthetically-minded maxillofacial surgeons in the UK?  (Read 4832 times)

surgerymax94

Aesthetically-minded maxillofacial surgeons in the UK?
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »
Hi all.

I haven't seen any surgeons yet regarding my recessed jaw/chin issue. I live in the UK, and would prefer to see a UK-based surgeon for my first ever consultation.

From what I have read on here and elsewhere online, UK maxfac surgeons tend to be very conservative when it comes to aesthetics. So I have two questions, and would be eternally grateful for any answers:

1) Who is the most aesthetically-minded maxfac surgeon in the UK?
2) Would it make sense to have an initial consultation in the UK (to get diagnosis and x-rays), before pursuing the actual surgery in Europe (Dr. Z for example)?

Thanks in advance for any responses :]

Dogmatix

• Private
Re: Aesthetically-minded maxillofacial surgeons in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
If your preference is to do it in UK it at least make sense to do get a consultation there. If you also have a preference in that Dr Z perform good results, it would make sense to have a consultation with him as well, and compare.

But it's not sure you get enough information with displacements etc to compare, and surgery is not only about drawing the plan, you need to be able to execute it as well. But if you get same proposal it's at least a good sign.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:43:49 AM »
I'm not in a position to recommend any surgeons as I haven't had surgery yet, but just some general points: recessed jaw etc. is not really an illness that can be 'diagnosed' and then any doctor will just treat you on the basis of that diagnosis. It's your personal decision if you want to do something about your jaw being recessed, and every doctor you see will have his or her own idea about how to make your jaw / face look better, essentially. So in that sense, there's no point being 'diagnosed' in the UK if you are planning to have surgery elsewhere.

If you are a UK resident, there is a chance you qualify for free treatment under the NHS, depending on how 'bad' your situation is according to their guidelines. To find out if you qualify, the best way is probably to speak to an orthodontist first and they can refer you to a hospital. There are really long waiting lists, for example, most people wait one or two years just to start their orthodontic treatment (this is after they were told they qualify for free treatment - that process itself takes at least a few months). If you have to pay privately, it is very expensive, the starting price is about ten thousand pounds for single jaw surgery; most surgeons charge more, it's a lot more if it's double jaw surgery, and orthodontic treatment costs at least a few thousand pounds on top of that.

The other thing is, if you decide to go for jaw surgery instead of just genioplasty or implants etc., you will need braces and the surgeon and orthodontist will have to work closely together. Most surgeons will want you to go to a specific orthodontist that they usually work with. So if you want surgery outside the UK, you will need to find an orthodontist in the UK that agrees to work with a random surgeon in another country and that might be difficult but hopefully not impossible.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
If you are gravitating to a doctor in (other part of) Europe, then get the diagnosis and Cephs from them.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Cancerkid

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 01:10:02 PM »
I have seen a lot of facial surgeons in the UK and it has not been a pleasant experience to say the least.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »
Cancer kid,

https://www.bapras.org.uk/home/find-a-member

British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons is above link.

You probably should look for reconstructive surgeons; craniofacial and plastic.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Luis_McLovin

• 66mm IPD
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 01:19:26 AM »
Hi all.

I haven't seen any surgeons yet regarding my recessed jaw/chin issue. I live in the UK, and would prefer to see a UK-based surgeon for my first ever consultation.

From what I have read on here and elsewhere online, UK maxfac surgeons tend to be very conservative when it comes to aesthetics. So I have two questions, and would be eternally grateful for any answers:

1) Who is the most aesthetically-minded maxfac surgeon in the UK?
2) Would it make sense to have an initial consultation in the UK (to get diagnosis and x-rays), before pursuing the actual surgery in Europe (Dr. Z for example)?

Thanks in advance for any responses :]

Hi, it should be noted that Dr. Z can do the diagnostic tests on the consult day. This is what I did with Prof. Raffiani. He refers you to the technicians, they do the tests, then you seat afterwards with the scans.

I would recommend this process. Be prepared to interpret your scans, the Dr does this everyday and appreciates input - they will practice professional licensed judgement themselves, no worry.