General Category > Aesthetics

Considering bimax (pics and X-rays attached)

<< < (3/3)

kavan:

--- Quote from: ko1a on November 25, 2019, 12:02:07 PM ---
Thank you. Does that mean you don't consider my jaws very recessed? I find this hard to judge objectively myself, but for what it's worth my own assessment is that both jaws are lacking in forward projection. Maxilla is vertically long, mandibular angle is steep. I also have a lot of teeth crowding and slight lip incompetence. I would like to fix all these issues but not sure if it's worth the tradeoffs so any input is highly valued.

--- End quote ---

It means I think you look GOOD and good enough to leave well enough alone. Pursuing an 'ideal' for 'aesthetics only' where your lower jaw would come out further than it is now, although possible, might/would involve a lefort 1 where your upper wisdom tooth looks to be in the way. Your lower wisdom tooth in way of BSSO. Not to mention braces as prelude to surgery or other things they might want to do as prelude to bimax.

So, I don't think all that is worth it just to improve the lip to chin fold. Personally, I would NOT suggest all that surgery to someone who looked GOOD and enough so already DESPITE the lip to chin fold.

ko1a:
Thanks guys.

--- Quote from: Post bimax on November 25, 2019, 12:40:35 PM ---Out of curiosity, did you get a 'widening' movement as part of your CW? The squareness is impressive.

--- End quote ---

No widening, I had decent jaw width to begin with and some strong masseters I think as well.

--- Quote from: notrain on November 25, 2019, 12:51:45 PM ---Leave it be. For jaw surgery, you'd need to extract 2 lower jaw premolars to upright the incisors properly and relieve crowding. This uprighting would also affect the chin prominence, but with the aggressive chin wing, you'd be looking at a revision of that too.

You should have either directly gone for full fledged jaw surgery or decided at the start that camouflage is good enough. Now you went one route and it is really not ideal to do the jaw surgery now, especially since you have a decent bite which you would need to tear up as well. Try to get some filler or maybe a graft for the labiom. fold.

You also still have all your wisdom teeth, these would need to come out before any jaw surgery. Bro, honestly, you'd be looking at a total treatment time of ~ 3 years including the wisdom teeth and a ton of discomfort and risks. Don't do it.

--- End quote ---

You're right that I would have been better off having bimax to begin with than I am now. Either way I would like to have my teeth fixed so I'll have to deal with braces regardless, and I'm afraid extractions without surgery would make me more recessed. And thanks for your suggestion re labio fold, I also have the option of having the frontblock distraction to fix both the labio fold and lower teeth crowding btw.

--- Quote from: kavan on November 25, 2019, 01:21:43 PM ---It means I think you look GOOD and good enough to leave well enough alone. Pursuing an 'ideal' for 'aesthetics only' where your lower jaw would come out further than it is now, although possible, might/would involve a lefort 1 where your upper wisdom tooth looks to be in the way. Your lower wisdom tooth in way of BSSO. Not to mention braces as prelude to surgery or other things they might want to do as prelude to bimax.

So, I don't think all that is worth it just to improve the lip to chin fold. Personally, I would NOT suggest all that surgery to someone who looked GOOD and enough so already DESPITE the lip to chin fold.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, point taken. Although I have to add it's not just to improve the labiomental fold but also the recession, steep mandibular plane, vertically long maxilla and slight lip incompetence. But I appreciate your view that my recession is not severe enough to justify surgery.

ditterbo:
Just fix the nutty labiomental fold if you're going to do anything, that stands out the most to me. Fillers, HA, whatever but not new bone cuts just for that. The eyes are weird being so asymmetric but maybe it's just how you looked at that exact second and it's not as obvious day to day.

ko1a:

--- Quote from: ditterbo on November 26, 2019, 06:54:07 PM ---Just fix the nutty labiomental fold if you're going to do anything, that stands out the most to me. Fillers, HA, whatever but not new bone cuts just for that. The eyes are weird being so asymmetric but maybe it's just how you looked at that exact second and it's not as obvious day to day.

--- End quote ---
Thanks. An advantage with a bone cut for the labio fold would be that it would also facilitate space to align my lower teeth properly, or else I would need extractions. It would also fix my slight lip incompetence according to the surgeon. So I'm still leaning towards doing that if not bimax.

I agree my eyes are weird due to asymmetry and unfortunately it's not just in that pic. I've consulted a surgeon about it and trying to fix it would risk horizontally shortening the eye and potentially creating another asymmetry. That's yet another thing I'm not sure is worth the tradeoffs or not. Not sure how obvious it currently is IRL as opposed to a full frontal still image like this.

Post bimax:
The eye asymmetry is there but not far outside the normal range. I wouldn’t stress it. My eyes are just as asymmetric and nobody has ever commented on it. Eyes are tough to fix and get right so IMO you should disregard that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version