General Category > Aesthetics

Considering bimax (pics and X-rays attached)

<< < (2/3) > >>

ghiggson90:

--- Quote from: ko1a on November 24, 2019, 08:11:09 AM ---Hi,

I had a chin wing osteotomy and am now considering double jaw surgery with CCW to fix my recessed jaws.

However, I'm not sure how recessed I am and also see a few potential aesthetic issues if I were to get bimax.
- Would my chin become too prominent with the CCW rotation?
- I have a very deep labiomental fold. Would this improve from bimax?
- Would my already upturned nose get too upturned?

I consulted 2 maxfacs.

One suggested frontblock distraction to solve the labiomental fold (and maybe SARPE) before possibly proceeding to bimax later. He said bimax alone would do nothing to improve the labiomental fold.

The other proposed bimax with CCW rotation. He thinks this will also improve my labiomental fold somewhat.

What do you guys think about the above issues? And would I benefit aesthetically overall from bimax?

https://imgur.com/a/BnxxtAu

--- End quote ---

Don’t mess with it. Fold is good, tradeoffs would be not worth it.

kavan:
I would leave well enough alone.

ko1a:
Thanks to everyone's responses, much appreciated as I'm struggling with this decision.

--- Quote from: PloskoPlus on November 24, 2019, 11:16:16 AM ---You have some asymmetry at the eye and mouth level. Fixing that would be the biggest boon to your looks. But that's hard to impossible to fix. Unless you have functional issues with your jaws, do nothing. Jaw surgery is unpredictable hell and you already look very good.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I think the mouth asymmetry comes from my severe crowding and bucked out front incisor so I was hoping this could be fixed through surgery though. Either that or extractions which I would like to avoid.

--- Quote from: Post bimax on November 24, 2019, 11:55:14 AM ---Yeah I wouldn’t touch anything. Maybe a CCW bimax BEFORE the CW could have given you some projection while avoiding the deeper fold, but I’d leave it as is now. Your jaw looks already above average

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Yes, if I got bimax first I probably wouldn't have needed as much advancement of the chin and avoided the deeper fold. But I'm confused since I got conflicting advice from the surgeons on whether CCW bimax would improve the fold. I take it you wouldn't expect bimax to help the fold? Do you think my chin would become too prominent if the jaws were rotated?

--- Quote from: ghiggson90 on November 24, 2019, 05:22:51 PM ---Don’t mess with it. Fold is good, tradeoffs would be not worth it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your response. Don't you think the fold is a problem? And are the tradeoffs you are mentioning the same as I mentioned in OP?

--- Quote from: kavan on November 24, 2019, 09:00:14 PM ---I would leave well enough alone.

--- End quote ---

Thank you. Does that mean you don't consider my jaws very recessed? I find this hard to judge objectively myself, but for what it's worth my own assessment is that both jaws are lacking in forward projection. Maxilla is vertically long, mandibular angle is steep. I also have a lot of teeth crowding and slight lip incompetence. I would like to fix all these issues but not sure if it's worth the tradeoffs so any input is highly valued.

Post bimax:

--- Quote ---Thanks. Yes, if I got bimax first I probably wouldn't have needed as much advancement of the chin and avoided the deeper fold. But I'm confused since I got conflicting advice from the surgeons on whether CCW bimax would improve the fold. I take it you wouldn't expect bimax to help the fold? Do you think my chin would become too prominent if the jaws were rotated?

--- End quote ---

I don't think CCW is going to affect the fold much unless you get some sort of genio as well.  I don't really think it's an issue though because a somewhat overly-deep fold isn't devastating for men.  In your case it will be interperated by the average person as a strong jaw/chin.

Your jaw looks sharp and strong from the front and you don't look recessed in profile.  I wouldn't mess with further JS for aesthetic reasons.

Out of curiosity, did you get a 'widening' movement as part of your CW? The squareness is impressive.

notrain:
Leave it be. For jaw surgery, you'd need to extract 2 lower jaw premolars to upright the incisors properly and relieve crowding. This uprighting would also affect the chin prominence, but with the aggressive chin wing, you'd be looking at a revision of that too.

You should have either directly gone for full fledged jaw surgery or decided at the start that camouflage is good enough. Now you went one route and it is really not ideal to do the jaw surgery now, especially since you have a decent bite which you would need to tear up as well. Try to get some filler or maybe a graft for the labiom. fold.

You also still have all your wisdom teeth, these would need to come out before any jaw surgery. Bro, honestly, you'd be looking at a total treatment time of ~ 3 years including the wisdom teeth and a ton of discomfort and risks. Don't do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version