Author Topic: SARPE Question (tooth vs bone-anchored device)  (Read 662 times)

LeFort 3000

SARPE Question (tooth vs bone-anchored device)
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a difference between bone anchored and teeth anchored device for SARPE in terms of efficiancy of jaw movements?

I can imagine teeth anchored devices may just move the teeth alot more than the bone plates themselves, but placing the device is non-invasive.
Bone anchored devices, I imagine they get placed during the SARPE procedure, but require a second full anasthetic surgery to remove the device again, right? Or does it even have to placed before the actual SARPE surgery? I imagine they produce better results?

Can anyone give advice on which device to choose? Is the tooth-anchored device simply the easier solution and just as effective as the bone-anchored one? I want to reach maximum seperation of the bone itself after SARPE and not a half bone, half tooth mix or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:03:30 PM by LeFort 3000 »

Sergio-OMS

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
  • I am just trying to help
    • Clinica Gonzalez y Campos
Re: SARPE Question (tooth vs bone-anchored device)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Bone-borne expanders are more comfortable and more efficient. They are not that invasive. Removal is under local or even no anaesthesia. It really depends on the type of expander.

But I think you should talk over this with your surgeon and your orthodontist.

LeFort 3000

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
Thank you Dr Sergio. My orthodontist wants me to use his teeth-anchored device and my surgeon prefers to do the bone-anchored device, so Im wasnt sure how to decide. But after your answer, I guess I prefer the bone-anchored one.

Gadwins

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:37:20 AM »
It depends what kind bone-anchored device it is. There is one without screws which isn't really better because it could just drill into your bone without to move it. Do you have a picture of the one?