Author Topic: Embarking on potential jaw surgery journey: advice, tips with consultations, etc  (Read 2788 times)

GJ

• Administrator
I understand all of the above. I've just never come across the convention to call an opening of 'x' on each side a total of 2x. It's just referred to as  a space opening of x on both sides.

Gotcha. It's semantics then.

I would not even want to touch extraction site.

You need more info, but in general, once they're out it's over with. Very hard to open and put back in. The one reason to put them back in might be bone support. When the tooth is removed, all the bone at the extraction site reabsorbs (a tooth needs bite pressure to keep regenerating bone). If you notice depressions at the extraction site this is why. First premolars are worse for this than second due to their root structure.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
I hope that they are! If that's the case, I would not even want to touch extraction site. If extracted then I would most definitely want to get implants in.

Thanks for the information!

If they needed to extract the lower wisdom teeth for the BSSO part of the surgery (they don't need to extract the upper wisdom teeth), I guess you could get implants there later down the line.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eg.1999

If they needed to extract the lower wisdom teeth for the BSSO part of the surgery (they don't need to extract the upper wisdom teeth), I guess you could get implants there later down the line.

For me, so long as upper wisdom teeth can be used as part of my functioning bite, that’s all I care about. Lower wisdom teeth can go, especially if necessary to make BSSO cuts.

I imagine I can make a functioning bite with my upper wisdom teeth?

eg.1999

Also wondering with double jaw surgery, if I ask my surgeon to pay attention to aesthetics and be more aggressive with bringing both jaws forward to achieve forward growth that this would be possible? I wouldn’t want to go through all the stress of DJS without significant transformation 

eg.1999

Just wanted to let everyone know I have also added some scan pictures from before my orthodontic treatment when I was younger at the BOTTOM of the Imgur link. I think you will notice the shorter ramus on the right side.

Here you are: https://imgur.com/a/CtOUXQm

PloskoPlus

Your asymmetry is not that significant. The worst, most conspicuous asymmetry is significant eye asymmetry. You don’t have that.

eg.1999

Your asymmetry is not that significant. The worst, most conspicuous asymmetry is significant eye asymmetry. You don’t have that.

Would you say surgery is worth the potential aesthetic benefits or would you advise against it? I feel like (and of course I know this is an incredibly RISKY surgery and so I wouldn't rely on feeling alone) getting this surgery done would by far give benefit me in terms of aesthetics. I think I'd also experience functional benefits, particularly in terms of posture and stuff. I also have sometimes have trouble breathing compared to other people my age when exercising.

Also considering I'm really young I feel recovery wouldn't be as bad as it could be, especially if I'm doing it next summer as intended.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Although I'm over simplifying, Jaw surgery is a multi-factorial equation aimed at balancing form and function. To that regard, 'form'; balance of jaws is your aesthetic part and 'function' is the bite correction part. The general goal is aesthetic improvement along with functional bite. The functional factor; bite, takes priority and is MORE straight forward given it's kind of clear cut to them as how the teeth should 'mesh' or meet. The aesthetic factor is to improve or remove aesthetic IMBALANCES as to bring closer to the 'norm'. Given that patient communication such as; 'give me a significant transformation' is rather VAGUE and undefined as to all the many VARIABLES that go into planning a surgery that balances form and function, surgery is not planned around that.

What you can ask your surgeon for is a ceph displacement diagram for which you would need an X-ray ceph taken. The displacement diagram would have your profile contour along with the proposed profile contour they have in mind.

PloskoPlus

Would you say surgery is worth the potential aesthetic benefits or would you advise against it? I feel like (and of course I know this is an incredibly RISKY surgery and so I wouldn't rely on feeling alone) getting this surgery done would by far give benefit me in terms of aesthetics. I think I'd also experience functional benefits, particularly in terms of posture and stuff. I also have sometimes have trouble breathing compared to other people my age when exercising.

Also considering I'm really young I feel recovery wouldn't be as bad as it could be, especially if I'm doing it next summer as intended.
A bigger lower third would definitely balance your nose better and I think you would look better, not just different. Whether it's worth the risk is for you to decide.  BTW, your airway does not look small in the ceph.

eg.1999

What you can ask your surgeon for is a ceph displacement diagram for which you would need an X-ray ceph taken. The displacement diagram would have your profile contour along with the proposed profile contour they have in mind.

Thanks for this piece of advice!

A bigger lower third would definitely balance your nose better and I think you would look better, not just different. Whether it's worth the risk is for you to decide.  BTW, your airway does not look small in the ceph.

I’m pretty sold on the surgery and I’m sure that having this done over the summer would make recovery smooth for me. Think I just need to get some consultations first.

And so you’re telling me I’m just unfit then?  ;D

PloskoPlus

Thanks for this piece of advice!

I’m pretty sold on the surgery and I’m sure that having this done over the summer would make recovery smooth for me. Think I just need to get some consultations first.

And so you’re telling me I’m just unfit then?  ;D
Mind you, I am not a doctor.  Although having met some moron doctors, I have lost all faith in the medical profession.  I don't think you should rush into this.  You are young and nothing is going to change if you have surgery 12 months later.  Don't get yourself into braces before you have settled on a surgeon, because then you will just want to get it all over and done with and ignore any warning signs you may get from bad surgeon choice.

eg.1999

Mind you, I am not a doctor.  Although having met some moron doctors, I have lost all faith in the medical profession.  I don't think you should rush into this.  You are young and nothing is going to change if you have surgery 12 months later.  Don't get yourself into braces before you have settled on a surgeon, because then you will just want to get it all over and done with and ignore any warning signs you may get from bad surgeon choice.

That is a fear I'm conscious of. I really want this to work out the best way possible so I am just trying to be calculated with it so far. I have a good feeling with the surgeon I am about to consult with so let's see how it goes!

kavan

• Global Moderator
For me, so long as upper wisdom teeth can be used as part of my functioning bite, that’s all I care about. Lower wisdom teeth can go, especially if necessary to make BSSO cuts.

I imagine I can make a functioning bite with my upper wisdom teeth?

You asked this question before you had X rays up. Looking at the X rays, your wisdom teeth are not part of your bite, functional or otherwise, because they don't touch each other.

eg.1999

Or
You asked this question before you had X rays up. Looking at the X rays, your wisdom teeth are not part of your bite, functional or otherwise, because they don't touch each other.

I meant the upper wisdom teeth with my second lower molars. Plus these were from 2012 and prior to extractions.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Or
I meant the upper wisdom teeth with my second lower molars. Plus these were from 2012 and prior to extractions.

Doesn't look like they will touch.