Author Topic: Trying to verify two things my surgeon told me during my genioplasty consult.  (Read 621 times)

linoob

Just consulted with legitimate Maxfac here in Australia regarding sliding genioplasty.

For those who don't remember I have a pre-existing silicone chin implant that ??? migrated and must be corrected.

There is also now ~2mm of bone erosion where the implant sits as per current scans.

I asked my surgeon about sliding genioplasty and there were two concerns I had:

1. Are we able to use grafts of some kind to prevent a "step-off"?

2. Are we able to use bone paste or similar to fill in the existing ~2mm erosion from implant?

I was told that both a step off and erosion will fill in and "take care of itself" down the line after surgery.

Does this seem right?

Why are so many surgeons out there correcting "step-off"'s then?

Also I didn't realise bone resorption magically fills itself in once an implant is removed?

PloskoPlus

I don't see how bone erosion can undo itself... Having said that, when advancing the upper jaw, some surgeons shave down the bone a little to minimize the chimp lip effect.  A top surgeon told me that this does not work in the long run because the tissue overlying the bone thickens in response.  Perhaps the same may happen when the soft tissue which is kept apart by your implant is reunited with the eroded bone.