Author Topic: ccw cut and also my jaw  (Read 767 times)

Movebone

ccw cut and also my jaw
« on: May 06, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »
Hey everyone, any thoughts on what can be done about my jaw? I'm thinking i might need a bimax with ccw, fixed at the ANS (would that help push my philtrum to be more concave?) but was really hoping to get a chin wing ( or two) down the line.  Is anyone knowledgeable on whether a ccw rotation can be done with a high bsso cut and whether it would limit the amount of advancement that could be achieved?

Also I'll really appreciate any ballpark figure on how many mm's of advancement I might need, looks like a pretty drastic case to me tho idk. Thanks in advance for anyone that answers, and any other observations are super welcome, thanks.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: ccw cut and also my jaw
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
You look to be a CCW candidate with posterior downgrafting. High BSSO cuts are not really used for CCW with posterior downgrafting cases.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:55:35 PM »
CCW of the jaws and the chin. I think that movement would make the philtrum more concave.
With regard to movement size, I'd guess 13mm minimum, but I'm not sure. The average first molar is around 17mm and premolar 8mm, so you can sort of guess based on that.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »
CCW of the jaws and the chin. I think that movement would make the philtrum more concave.
With regard to movement size, I'd guess 13mm minimum, but I'm not sure. The average first molar is around 17mm and premolar 8mm, so you can sort of guess based on that.

Although there will be more charts where they measure average dimensions of teeth that I'm showing here than I to care to ferret out, can you clarify which dimension you are referring to as to average first molar?

I'm assuming you mean the medial-distal CROWN WIDTH of it given that dimension would relate to direction of'advancement' (as opposed to the facial-buccal width). Yes?/No?

If so, 17mm ave mesial-distal crown width well exceeds the maximum found in the second chart. Also, if you look at RULER for 17mm, intuitively, it would be an excessively wide tooth.

How did you come up with 17mm and if not medial-distal crown width, what dimension does it refer to?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
I'm going off what an ortho told me, and he was discussing the length.
I have digital calipers. I'll measure mine, which seem average.

It looks like my first premolar is 8.4mm and first molar is 11.5mm.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »
I'm going off what an ortho told me, and he was discussing the length.
I have digital calipers. I'll measure mine, which seem average.

It looks like my first premolar is 8.4mm and first molar is 11.5mm.

Yes. Exactly. Your measure is withing the charts I've looked at and 17mm--even before I looked at charts--intuitively just seemed TOO BIG to me when I just looked at my ruler. Ortho probably was mentioning another dimension.