Author Topic: Fixing nerve damage from implants  (Read 1229 times)

Yoroshiku

Fixing nerve damage from implants
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:05:14 PM »
So about five years ago I had a shelf chin implant which gave me a feeling of numbness that never went away.  I later had custom jaw and chin implants put in to replace it by a different surgeon (they were placed separately, but they essentially wrap around my whole jawline together).  I have had the chin implant portion replaced several times and it still gives me pain.  Would it best to just have the implants removed?  Most doctors have told me nerve damage can't be fixed.   I don't even care about the appearance anymore I just want to not live in pain.  Are there any doctors that specialize in repairing nerve pain related to facial implants?

Thank you

Suchislife

Re: Fixing nerve damage from implants
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
Hey,

I've had a chin implant before which I removed after about 2 months of having it.

I removed it for 2 reasons 1) it looked better but also quite unusual as I already had a deep labiomental fold and although it made me look better from some angles if u paid close attention my side profile looked really off. Such is the nature of non-custom implants. 2) I had nerve pain on my right side around where the mental nerve is. I especially felt it when talking, eating, yawning etc. as if it was sitting on the nerve (i believe).

After removing it the pain on my right side went away and I feel pretty much the same as before the implant about 1-2 months after the removal. It all sunk back to nearly the original shape although the imprint of the implant still remains to a degree. I don't think this will go away.

Other than that I have a slight feeling of tightness around the area when I tense my chin area or talk. It is very subtle however, I don't mind it.

You said that you have had multiple implants. So, I assume you took one out as you put another in? If there was a good period of time between removal and the act of putting in a new implant, did you feel that your nerve pain went away?

Also if you have this same feeling of something pressing on the nerve like I had, I think once you remove the thing sitting on the nerve it should go back to normal I would assume. For me this feeling went away very quickly.

For you it could be harder tho as you have had many implants. Could you further elaborate on what you mean by 'nerve damage' with regards to the sensation?

Yoroshiku

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
As for the “feeling” nerve damage... it’s a difficult feeling to describe.  It’s like I have constant numbness and pain in my chin and jaw at the same time.  I wish I could just rip the chin implant out it’s so uncomfortable and unnatural feeling.  Nothing gives me relief.  I’ve had the implant replaced multiple times and the situation never improved.  I don’t want to go into too much detail on here as I am worried about staying anonymous from my surgeon.  Do you mind if I message you?

Suchislife

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Sure, feel free to message me.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
As for the “feeling” nerve damage... it’s a difficult feeling to describe.  It’s like I have constant numbness and pain in my chin and jaw at the same time.  I wish I could just rip the chin implant out it’s so uncomfortable and unnatural feeling.  Nothing gives me relief.  I’ve had the implant replaced multiple times and the situation never improved.  I don’t want to go into too much detail on here as I am worried about staying anonymous from my surgeon.  Do you mind if I message you?

Why not just remove the chin implant and do a genioplasty and keep the jaw implants?

Yoroshiku

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:54 AM »
Why not just remove the chin implant and do a genioplasty and keep the jaw implants?
I fear that the nerve pain will still be there even when the implant is removed. Isn't a genioplasty even more invasive?  I would think there would be even more potential to cause further damage. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:28:10 AM by Yoroshiku »

Suchislife

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 02:32:30 AM »
I'm guessing your doctor told you that if you remove the implants the pain will not go away because of the way you described your particular sensation of pain. If you could describe more precisely the feeling of pain and also perhaps seek second opinions from other doctors, maybe they could have some idea of how to help you.

At this time I see only two options. 1) Leave implants in -> Definite Pain 2) Take implants out -> Potential for pain relief or change in sensation.

Yoroshiku

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
I'm guessing your doctor told you that if you remove the implants the pain will not go away because of the way you described your particular sensation of pain. If you could describe more precisely the feeling of pain and also perhaps seek second opinions from other doctors, maybe they could have some idea of how to help you.

At this time I see only two options. 1) Leave implants in -> Definite Pain 2) Take implants out -> Potential for pain relief or change in sensation.

I will probably get them removed, it’s just I can’t right now due to covid so I’m stuck with the pain.  Sent you a PM.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »
I don't know exactly what your nerve pain is from. So, let me get that part out of the way. Also, I'm not requesting PMs about it.

However, I can tell you that nerve pain CAN be from a type of 'entrapment' from scar tissue cramping down on it. Scar adhesions, most likely from cutting in there multi times to remove and replace implants. Also, there are medications for nerve pain.

If the doctor told you the pain would still be there with removal of the implants, it COULD BE because removing (silicone) implants from their SCAR CAPSULE might not involve the dr. removing the entire scar capsule.

Nerve complaints of genioplasty are usually in venue on numbness.

Doctors very knowledgeable about nerves are Neurologists.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Yoroshiku

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
I don't know exactly what your nerve pain is from. So, let me get that part out of the way. Also, I'm not requesting PMs about it.

However, I can tell you that nerve pain CAN be from a type of 'entrapment' from scar tissue cramping down on it. Scar adhesions, most likely from cutting in there multi times to remove and replace implants. Also, there are medications for nerve pain.

If the doctor told you the pain would still be there with removal of the implants, it COULD BE because removing (silicone) implants from their SCAR CAPSULE might not involve the dr. removing the entire scar capsule.

Nerve complaints of genioplasty are usually in venue on numbness.

Doctors very knowledgeable about nerves are Neurologists.

Thank you!  Just scheduled an appointment with a local Neurologist, I will start there. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:33:28 PM by Yoroshiku »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
Thank you!  Just scheduled an appointment with a local Neurologist, I will start there.
:)
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.