Author Topic: Mandibular first bicuspids/premolar extractions  (Read 1216 times)

Dopesaint

Mandibular first bicuspids/premolar extractions
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:21:27 PM »
Hi guys

I am getting Mandibular first bicuspids/premolar extractions at the end of this month and then plan to get DJS in November/December.

For anybody who has received extractions and then surgery is this a reasonable time frame?

My surgeon and dentist both said 6 months should be fine but I am just making sure.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:35:35 PM by Dopesaint »

InvisalignOnly

Re: Mandibular first bicuspids/premolar extractions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
My two cents: if you aren't wearing braces already then it's probably not enough time. I had the same extractions and braces put on in early January this year. It was explained to me that they cannot start closing the gaps first, they have to start with a thin wire and then gradually change to thicker wires because they can only put so much pressure on the teeth without damaging them. They started closing the gaps after about two months, so early March, and now it is June and I still have 2-3mm gaps left, and my ortho is very pleased with my progress. I have Damon braces, power chains, elastics and my braces get tightened every 3 weeks instead of the usual 6. I do not think it is possible to do it faster than this. Once they start moving, the teeth move appr. 1mm per month if things go well, and the gap is likely to be 6-7mm (on each side) so you need at least 6 months after they actually started closing the gap.