Author Topic: My Visit With Dr. Antipov  (Read 2133 times)

eastcoastian1

My Visit With Dr. Antipov
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:11:49 PM »
Hi all,

Thought I would share my experience with Dr. Antipov last week. Had a consultation for possible jaw surgery. Would love to get other people's experience visiting him as well.

Office is located at a pretty random location, about 20 miles outside Sacramento. Seems to have good technology. Dr. Antipov himself was a nice guy (though pretty quiet). That said, something just seemed......off. Almost like I was in an episode of Twin Peaks or Twilight Zone. Everything related to the office was Russian. Now, I don't mean that in itself to be negative (I myself am part Latvian), but everyone that worked there was Russian, everyone speaking there only spoke Russian, all the reading material in the waiting room was Russian, and every other patient there was also Russian. I felt like I was getting looks being the only non-Russian person there. Just felt weird.

I brought my own imaging (CT). An assistant surgeon took the imaging, copied them to a computer and lined them up so Dr. Antipov could be ready for them. When Dr. Antipov stepped in, he said hi and immediately just sat down at the computer. This is when things kinda got weird again. After sitting down, he immediately just started morphing my face, saying I definitely needed jaw surgery, showed the movements and said what the surgery entailed. Almost plastic surgeony. No oral examination, and no questions about history/bite/etc. I basically had to voluntarily start talking about bite history, implants and all that. I've never experienced that before with an oral/maxiofacial surgeon. They usually at least briefly do an examination. Maybe cause of Covid? Also, the only before/afters he has are the same one on his website, which makes me kinda question how often he actually does the surgery versus just doing consultations (which he charges 500 for).

Anyway, after about 30 minutes, told me to think about it, but said i should really do it. I submitted insurance verification just in case. Have a ton of imaging done alongside the ceph/ct which will be good to have now for reference.

His recommendation is 10mm forward upper and lower. One thing I found interesting is that he says BSSO alone you can increase widths pretty substantially if wanted, basically by creating a bigger and bigger gap  between where the bones are cut horizontally. He just says it would take longer for the bone to heal since there are now massive spaces.

Anyway, back to where I was about a year ago trying to figure out if I should just go for it. In my early 30's, so it's now or never.

Imaging: https://imgur.com/a/HBFy2KD

Note: Check out the boney overgrowth I now have cause of the implants. Word of warning for those who consider them.

Dopesaint

Re: My Visit With Dr. Antipov
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:29:05 AM »
Your surgery desires are primarily aesthetics I assume?

Antipov is great, how were the morphs he showed you?

eastcoastian1

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 07:31:52 AM »
Your surgery desires are primarily aesthetics I assume?

Antipov is great, how were the morphs he showed you?

I posted imaging above.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:07:46 PM »
Looks to be the same/similar displacement analysis program used by Gunson, Alfaro and others. (Nemo-FAB or something like that out of Spain). The changes to facial profile are pretty much in accordance with optimal to ideal and the morph overlay lets you SEE for YOURSELF what that could look like. So, what you are SEEING as to the profile changes on his displacement proposal would basically be the 10mm advancement he relayed verbally. As to what he said about the intergonial distance becoming wider ( back of jaw to jaw distance seen from front) with the BSSO cut, yes that's true because the cut involves sort of splicing the the area for it to be moved forward. So, once the area is splice in order to move it, it pried outward a little too yielding the GAP he mentioned that would take longer to heal.

The displacement diagram takes into consideration where your teeth are now. So, he might not need to know how they've been moved around before and the screws and implants can be seen as to estimate how much they are augmenting an area. The only thing/s I would suggest clearing up with him at this point is about the orthodonture that would be required to prepare for surgery and whether the displacements on the proposal reflect ABSENCE of the implants you have in there now and would he also be removing the implants during the proposed surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »
Looks to be the same/similar displacement analysis program used by Gunson, Alfaro and others. (Nemo-FAB or something like that out of Spain). The changes to facial profile are pretty much in accordance with optimal to ideal and the morph overlay lets you SEE for YOURSELF what that could look like. So, what you are SEEING as to the profile changes on his displacement proposal would basically be the 10mm advancement he relayed verbally. As to what he said about the intergonial distance becoming wider ( back of jaw to jaw distance seen from front) with the BSSO cut, yes that's true because the cut involves sort of splicing the the area for it to be moved forward. So, once the area is splice in order to move it, it pried outward a little too yielding the GAP he mentioned that would take longer to heal.

The displacement diagram takes into consideration where your teeth are now. So, he might not need to know how they've been moved around before and the screws and implants can be seen as to estimate how much they are augmenting an area. The only thing/s I would suggest clearing up with him at this point is about the orthodonture that would be required to prepare for surgery and whether the displacements on the proposal reflect ABSENCE of the implants you have in there now and would he also be removing the implants during the proposed surgery.

Orthodontics he said would take about 6 months, and mentioned would need to focus on moving the upper incisors forward. He also gave me the choice to either have the implants removed the same time as BSSO or take them out and wait 3-6 months for the tissue to settle for a more accurate aesthetic plan. He's willing to do either, but he said it would be a bit less risky to remove the implants first and then draw the plan from there.

Have you heard anything about Antipov in particular?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
He seems to be a legit contender along with Gunson and Alfaro in the sense he's using same/similar planning technology and similar aesthetic outlook. He's not as well known but has potential to be a good 'find'.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »
He seems to be a legit contender along with Gunson and Alfaro in the sense he's using same/similar planning technology and similar aesthetic outlook. He's not as well known but has potential to be a good 'find'.

Hmm, the fact he’s even discussed in the same breath as Gunson gives me hope. Just wished I’ve seen more cases.....it seems like it’s been the same handful for years.

If he’s solid, I’ll probably go with him.

IconVillage

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 12:49:23 AM »
You currently have a jaw implant?

Pipilika

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 02:02:23 AM »
what planning technology was used?
Also the op has somehow the short face syndrome?

eastcoastian1

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:41 AM »
Also the op has somehow the short face syndrome?

Pretty sure I don’t have short face syndrome. The implant added a lot of length. In fact, I actually try to keep teeth closed most the time, or else face can look longish.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
You currently have a jaw implant?

What is it about this question that you're not in the capacity to answer it yourself given sufficient information has been given to do so.

In light of the information already given in this thread, does the OP have implants..yes or no?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »

Your question reflects lack of capacity to recognize sufficient information has been given within this thread and enough for you to glean the answer to your question.

What is the answer to the question of what planning technology was (most likely) used?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
I love his morph by the way, much better than the one gunson offered me.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
It would be amazing if he offered surgery first option like Alfaro and then you could just do the rest with invisalign...

eastcoastian1

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
It would be amazing if he offered surgery first option like Alfaro and then you could just do the rest with invisalign...

I mean, how often do the morphs equal reality? If they were 100% accurate I’d book the surgery right now lol. Gunson is the only other surgeon willing to take me on so far. Everyone else said no. That said, his price.....my god.

Also it can be a little deceiving cause that morph is WITH my implants currently in.

I haven’t asked about a surgery first option. Not a bad idea. He did seem to imply I needed orthodontics first cause he kept mentioning the need for me to “flare” my incisors.

I just really wish there were more cases out there he’s done. All I’m see is the same handful that’s been on his website for years.