Author Topic: Three Days Post-OP  (Read 2721 times)

DRIVVEN

• Private
Three Days Post-OP
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
Hi everyone, on Thursday i had a revision surgery.  The hardest part was having the coronoid removed.  It was starting to bridge to the zygomatic, it was like Jack and the Beanstalk.  Maxilla advanced 3, widened 5.  Too early to tell if i will get function, but hopeful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 02:08:53 PM by DRIVVEN »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Three Days Post-OP
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »
Hi everyone, on Thursday i had a revision surgery.  The hardest part was having the coronoid removed.  It was starting to bridge to the zygomatic, it was like Jack and the Beanstalk.  Maxilla advanced 3, widened 5.  Too early to tell if i will get function, but hopeful.

who did your revision?

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »

who did your revision?

I am trying to upload photos but cant for some reason. Dr. Sullivan in OKC!

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:10:30 PM »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
Congrats and happy healing.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
Congrats and happy healing.

Thank you Kavan!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 12:01:54 AM »
You look pretty good for 3 days. Hope the bite fits. No BSSO?

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »

Thank you!  The mandible cant be fixed. On the left side it was hyper rotated out, and took the coronoid and my joint with it. The removal of the coronoid was much more difficult than expected as it had started to make fibrous bridge to the zygomatic as time went on. Just trying to make the best of a bad situation. I have a long road ahead but it feels so good not to have my maxilla jammed back and up and to have the pull  on the coronoid removed.  My swelling in the area of the coronoid removal is LESS now than it was before surgery. The bite is going to need some fine tuning. I got 5 mm of upper expansion and 3mm of advancement, more on one side to match the mandible that was advanced more on one side. Here is the 3D model of the coronoid impingment.  I was liucky to find a surgeon that understands the joint and coronoid.

InvisalignOnly

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 03:39:18 AM »
Good luck, I really hope you get a good result this time. It's brave of you to undergo a second surgery after the first experience you had with this type of procedure.

eastcoastian1

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

How are you coming along? I was thinking of consulting with Dr. Sullivan has I’m hearing some good things and won’t need to be pay 100k+ like I would with Gunson (I have a complex case).

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 06:05:04 PM »
How are you coming along? I was thinking of consulting with Dr. Sullivan has I’m hearing some good things and won’t need to be pay 100k+ like I would with Gunson (I have a complex case).

I am doing really well! I still cannot believe that Dr. Sullivan was able to help me and continues to help.  My mandible could not be fixed from all the damage caused to it plus the nerve damage and compression from the first surgery, so i remain off to one side. I am starting to realize that it may not regain function on the left.  That said my upper arch fits my lower much better and  the ungodly front compression, the pulling from the coronoid attachment and the severe swelling i had on the left mandible is mostly gone. I am able to chew soft foods on the right side and the chewing motion is more normal. I am hopeful that things will come together better as still some terrible pain on the left.  I also cannot express enough  how much i wished I was in the hands of Dr. Sullivan for my first surgery.  Unlike Gunson, he has surgical partners to bounce ideas off, to look at complex cases —Its called arnett gunson, but its only gunson as a solo practitioner now. I wish you all the best to find the right solutions and best outcome. Below is  a photo at ten weeks (right) and my surgery with gunson (left)

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »

I just saw this, sorry i did not responsd. No, the damage to my mandible from the first surgery plus the nerve damage made it too risky to fix the lower. The coronoid removal itself was not routine and was actually kind of wild, the release was wild when they detached it. My mandible was symmetrical before my surgery with gunson, but he just lost control of the segment. So my upper was advanced more on one side to match up better with what was done at the first surgery. Fingers crossed!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 11:08:14 PM »
I am doing really well! I still cannot believe that Dr. Sullivan was able to help me and continues to help.  My mandible could not be fixed from all the damage caused to it plus the nerve damage and compression from the first surgery, so i remain off to one side. I am starting to realize that it may not regain function on the left.  That said my upper arch fits my lower much better and  the ungodly front compression, the pulling from the coronoid attachment and the severe swelling i had on the left mandible is mostly gone. I am able to chew soft foods on the right side and the chewing motion is more normal. I am hopeful that things will come together better as still some terrible pain on the left.  I also cannot express enough  how much i wished I was in the hands of Dr. Sullivan for my first surgery.  Unlike Gunson, he has surgical partners to bounce ideas off, to look at complex cases —Its called arnett gunson, but its only gunson as a solo practitioner now. I wish you all the best to find the right solutions and best outcome. Below is  a photo at ten weeks (right) and my surgery with gunson (left)

Certainly quite an improvement.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »

Certainly quite an improvement.

Thank you! What is amazing to me is how much the position of the maxilla can affect cheek support.  I had no grafting or augmentation  and I look so much like i did before surgery and  I am grateful for that i have more of my old face back.  All of my life  i enjoyed my upper jaw forward and i took biting into sandwiches for granted, so my fingers are crossed for continued healing. My nasal breathing is better too with the upper expansion.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
Looks like the pre-surgery (edge to edge?) bite was forcing your chin down to look long from front. Now, the chin looks much better and also you can see the overlap in the bite. Nice improvement.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.